Project "Might As Well"

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
I put a hole through #8 piston when the injector failed 3,800 miles into a 5,900 mile journey from Alaska to NJ via TX, loaded at around 30k total weight. Truck had 130k miles, and had been tuned at 490hp/885tq since 20k. Built tranny and basic tuning/exhaust was all it had.

After the autopsy was complete, I started looking for parts. Which snowballed. A lot. Somehow looking for a stock longblock replacement turned into...well, while the engine is out, I might as well look into replacing some cosmetic stuff in the engine bay, and the radiator hose, and the intercooler tubes and whatnot. Once I examined the stock turbo, I realized I needed a new one, so hey--might as well upgrade that, too. Then, I had the good idea of...hey, since I'm replacing the turbo with a "mild upgrade", I might as well also do a high flow y-bridge and cold side tube.

Then, Andy sold off a bunch of parts in the Garage sale, including a Danville 68mm Stg2R turbo, and a set of carrillo rods. Hey..."Might As Well," right? That turned a kid-sized snowball into a bigass snowball that's still growing by the day. Everything turned into...well, since I'm already doing X, "Might as Well" do Y,Z and AA, AB, AC, etc.

So here's the parts list of things that are either on order, or already in the garage:

Danville 68mm Stg2R Turbo
Carrillo Forged Rods
Fingers Pistons, Coated, Weight Matched
New LML Crank
ARP Main Studs
ARP Head Studs
SoCal 3388AF Cam
SoCal Beehive Springs, Titanium Retainers, Hardened Cups
SoCal Chromoly Pushrods
Lightweight Rocker Bridges
Master Gasket Set
Main Bearings
Rod Bearings
Cam Bearings
High Flow Y-bridge/Intake
ProFab Manifolds
ProFab Up-Pipes
MBRP Down Pipe

I've talked to Evan at Limitless Diesel, and I'll be purchasing one of his converters, as well as having him go back through my trans--which seems to be in great shape, but I don't really trust it after the HEAVY hauling and beating that I've done to her over the last 110k miles. Luckily, Evan is only about 30 minutes from RAD machine, who I'll have do the machine work and assembly.

As far as I know, the only remaining items I need to get are a CP3 and injectors, plus some billet injector hold downs. I'll hold off on all of that and let the Amex cool down until after the machinework and assembly are finished. I'm fairly certain I'll be going with 60 over injectors and a 10mm CP3, since I need the truck to still be able to tow, above all else. I move once every year to 3 years, and if the truck can't tow my household goods those few times I need to, it's worthless to me.

I still need to give Mark a call about tuning it, as I need to be careful on the fueling parts. I want the ability to add an S483(ish) over the top of the 68mm Stg2R, but still be able to tune it back for towing. There's been some great discussion and suggestions in the thread I started in the DP forum, so thanks to all the folks who took part.

I figured this was an easy way for me to keep track of everything, and I'll keep a running log of the rebuild. I'll add a bunch of pics from removal and teardown in the next couple of days as I have time.

As always, anybody with parts recommendations/suggestions/criticism is welcomed/encouraged to post up!

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
A little tough to see with the lighting, but there's the carnage. Got one of the turbo coming up.

uploadfromtaptalk1456002437067.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1456002437067.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1456002437067.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 205

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
I'm guessing it was pieces of the piston that started turning the stock wheel into a batmowheel. There's so much shaft play that there's a definite clunk when you wiggle the end. What a shame...had to upgrade to the 68Stg2R.

Attachments

• 20160117_112028_resized.jpg
    20160117_112028_resized.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 209

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Great day from UPS! SoCal 3388AF cam, beehive springs, Ti retainers, chromoly pushrods, and cam bearings. Thanks, SoCal!

5c3f73cf4fd22dc88c4167586dbb0039.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Ordered SoCal billet flexplate, SoCal Super Damper, billet injector hold downs, and main studs tonight.

dirtydmax

<---up shit creek
Sep 1, 2013
muskoka,Ont Canada
Getting reliefs in your ovals?Spiro showed me his cracked socal pistons with no reliefs with a 3388.Piston crowns looked like the moon from contact.

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Ouch. I honestly hadn't even consider reliefs since socal site says none needed. Anybody else known to have issues with valve contact? Maybe the cam was timed wrong? I haven't placed the order yet, still just waiting on thumbs up from machine shop on the block.

The SoCal flywheel was back ordered, should be shipping Wednesday, so the pistons should be the very last thing I lack to get all the machine work done.

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Also, I just want to go on record with a huge Thank You to the guys at SoCal...their military discount is fantastic and has allowed me to order a couple of extra goodies that I didn't think would fit the budget.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I thought your list had Fingers pistons on it? Changed your mind?

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Nope, still gonna be running fingers, just haven't ordered them yet. Waiting until the machine shop gives me the confirmation for standard bore.

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
Mailed off the check for Fingers pistons, and got a great deal on a PPE dual fueler today. Finally have everything I need on the way. Hoping to have all the parts in-hand by the end of next week so I can get them up to RAD machine!

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
sweet! I'm dying to see all those parts :)

Atco is open. A few locals are meeting up tomorrow night, if you are interested in going?

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
sweet! I'm dying to see all those parts :)

Atco is open. A few locals are meeting up tomorrow night, if you are interested in going?
I just looked at the schedule yesterday! I reckon I'll try and head that way, it'll just depend on how things go getting out of the office tomorrow. I'll shoot you a text if I catch a break.

Pics next week when I've got everything in-hand.

N2BRK

Dec 31, 2009
I can't break away early. I have to finish feeding Uncle Sam, and then I am taking my daughter to her swimming lesson, and waiting for Mommy to come home to take over so I can go play, hahahaha. I'm thinking I'll be home at about 5:20pm and then able to leave around 6:30pm. We can meet there or you're welcome to come here first. Feel free to text.:thumb:

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
9304b18aa58c9a46a9c50424d626f622.jpg

Received another little box of happiness on the porch this afternoon!

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
I guess at this point I should go ahead and order a new oil and water pump? I just finished updating my spreadsheet with the finalized invoices from all the parts...that was a mistake. Now, in continuation of the spirit of this build.... really, another $700 or so is insignificant. :eek:mg:

Should I get a high volume melling pump, or should I spring for the SoCal billet pump? Should I go for a pinned water pump or just have a stock one welded?

calereeves

Displaced Texan
Jul 13, 2011
And the SoCal billet flexplate today! Hopefully I'll have the pistons tomorrow, Fingers said they shipped yesterday.
8ff938cd3f777b7eae90a2e088a830cf.jpg