Porting to reach high rpm breathing

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
I was given a contact earlier today for some possible cores. Being aluminum and diesel cylinder heads, would 100 bucks be a good ball park for shipping? granted that may be both heads but I haven't shipped aluminum heads before. We don't deal with engine parts at work.

PM sent Guy.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
One question, what type of porting cutters do you use on Aluminum, I use stones on iron but Aluminum will probably load the stones quite a bit.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I was given a contact earlier today for some possible cores. Being aluminum and diesel cylinder heads, would 100 bucks be a good ball park for shipping? granted that may be both heads but I haven't shipped aluminum heads before. We don't deal with engine parts at work.

PM sent Guy.
I shiped a pair of heads a few weeks ago and it took $85.00 so I'd say $100.00 is in the ballpark.

BigDmax

Feb 20, 2011
Carencro, LA
My question is why doesn't brodix or one of the other big head companies give dmaxs a shot. Say a LS style head for our trucks. I doubt the demand would be a problem. Which should keep cost around what guys are paying for BBC heads

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
My question is why doesn't brodix or one of the other big head companies give dmaxs a shot. Say a LS style head for our trucks. I doubt the demand would be a problem. Which should keep cost around what guys are paying for BBC heads

probably a comparatively miniscule market. They would have to design the heads from scratch basically...

The heads would cost a fortune; way more than 99.99% guys who build their duramax's are going to want to pay.

And again, going back to the fact.......do we REALLY need to be worrying about dumping time, R&D, and money into working on "super duper awesome crazy insane" heads when we cant even keep crankshafts in one piece at extreme hp levels.....?

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I prefer to stay positive about it,hell we all know what the performace after market head industry did for small blocks and big blocks.Since when has anything stayed Stock in the performace industry theres always after market apps and people to buy them when they come out.

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
The light duty diesel is still becoming popular so like Ben said, the audience is still small. Plus being diesels, they have been labeled as dirty machines so that doesn't help in growing popularity rates because of the big OTR diesel engines of yesteryear.

Ben, where are the crankshafts breaking? torsional? bending? is it a material problem or simply skimpy design due to the main operation range of lower rpms being exceeded?

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Around 65 to 85 from the midwest

use the high speed steel rotory cutting bits

Yeah, totally forgot about them, hopefully I can land some decently priced carbide cutters. I already have some fans and other lighter abrasives just no long neck steel cutters, couple shorts, somewhere anyhow haha. Looks like to Goodson I go!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The light duty diesel is still becoming popular so like Ben said, the audience is still small. Plus being diesels, they have been labeled as dirty machines so that doesn't help in growing popularity rates because of the big OTR diesel engines of yesteryear.

I really dont think thats the reason in my opinion. Yeah maybe 10 years ago. But a lot has happened in the diesel performance world in the past 5 years.

The real reason is these trucks are still pretty expensive and too new for 90% of people to want to cut up into real "hot rods".

Most hot rod guys out there want something that does something besides goes fast in a straight line. (IE, not a 7,000lb pickup truck)

90% of "car guys" out there just dont even know that there is such a thing as diesel performance....because nobody thinks of ever modifying a big HD pickup truck, unless you've actually seen what one can do first hand.

Even parts that have been out for years (aftermarket rods, etc) are still very expensive. Even bearings and rings are very expensive.

These trucks arent "classic" "iconic" vehicles. Not the real "hot rod" image that your typical "hot rodder" is going to want to dump 30 grand into. I mean, everyone thinks corvettes and camaros and muscle cars are cool. But you've got to actually specifically be a hard core die hard diesel truck guy to want to dump all this money into a pickup truck. Those kind of guys are comparatively small in numbers compared to the majority of the "hot rodding world in general".

Parts are more complicated. You dont have fuel systems that run at 25,000+ PSI to deal with on a gas engine. You dont have fuel injectors that cost $250+ on a gas engine. There are a lot more gas engines out there than diesels. You cant buy a duramax at any junk yard for $300 like you can an LSx.

Only a die hard diesel truck enthusiast is going to want to put 30 grand into a diesel truck only to run the same time as a gasser LSx truck with less than 10 grand in it. Ive built plenty of dmax's, ive had the engine out of my truck 5 times, ive done the whole performance thing and it just got tiring for me. After each successive engine you blow up, you lose more and more enthusiasm for it. Not to mention money. And before long, you say to yourself "WTF am I doing here?!??". And you go back to a stock engine with maybe a 90hp tow tune and you realize that, really in all honesty, its all you need to make a dmax fun to daily drive.

I could go on.

you add all those up, and you'll understand why the market isnt there and why the diesel hot rod world is comparatively small. :(

Ben, where are the crankshafts breaking?

right behind the 1-2 rod journal, where the journal meets the counterweight

torsional? bending? is it a material problem or simply skimpy design due to the main operation range of lower rpms being exceeded?

If I (or anyone else) knew the exact cause, then it most likely wouldnt be a problem anymore! :) ;)

If you do some reading; there is a lot of valuable info on this forum.

ben

adeso

wait, what?
May 30, 2011
Minot, ND
You see cranks break on all HP trucks, most do not break in one event but crack and go over time when Ben said (#2). Seems like almost every time the final event is where the guy was driving down the road not beating on it (I can't think of many that let go at WOT) which makes me think harmonics might be playing into it, or bad castings. Since there is no one set HP or even HP range where they let go

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Yeah, understandable Ben, maybe if the Duramax or any other light diesel engine were produced like how frequent the SBC was, things would cost less. I will keep an eye for the crank issue threads and posts, the engine failure stuff is pretty interesting in itself.

Until then, as far as the heads on the Dmax, what do you see as the problems in them that you briefly mentioned before?

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Have LMM heads on the way from Guy, however I don't know when I will get to the cutters to do the heads, but I will post pictures etc if wanted. Let me know!

Fahlin Racing

Aug 22, 2012
NE Ohio
Finally arrived, Thanks Guy! Just a matter of time before I get to dig in. I will post some more pictures in the future for those wondering.
DmaxLmm2_zpsaf46103e.jpg

DmaxLMM_zps2963e3d1.jpg