Porting/Polishing LLY Turbo

NAFLASH

Aug 22, 2010
So the machinist at work it going to bore it out for me. I'm going to have it machined flush until the bore meets the turbine.

Anyone have a clearance spec on the turbine to housing gap?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Almost done with another LLY. SO glad I got my polisher working so I don't have to hand sand as much!!!

Yellowchevy

Attachments

• IMG_7488_zps60f497bb.jpg
    IMG_7488_zps60f497bb.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 187
  • IMG_7547_zps3671ea3e.jpg
    IMG_7547_zps3671ea3e.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_7553_zps7ae0dba4.jpg
    IMG_7553_zps7ae0dba4.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_7556_zpsa3b73c2a.jpg
    IMG_7556_zpsa3b73c2a.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_7557_zps46778087.jpg
    IMG_7557_zps46778087.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_7562_zpsa91a8c55.jpg
    IMG_7562_zpsa91a8c55.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_7563_zps0a13dca0.jpg
    IMG_7563_zps0a13dca0.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_7567_zpsae06ac43.jpg
    IMG_7567_zpsae06ac43.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_7566_zps019221c2.jpg
    IMG_7566_zps019221c2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 173

tracygto

Apr 18, 2014
deshler ohio
I have a question about reassembly I took my LMM turbo apart to clean and install batmowheel at that time I did not know it was a variable vane kind. well everything fell apart I got it together and without forcing it together. My question is is there a way to put the hot side with the vanes together wrong like 180 out when open is closed and closed is opened. I still have my body off the frame and waiting on parts that someone screwed up on ordering.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I have a question about reassembly I took my LMM turbo apart to clean and install batmowheel at that time I did not know it was a variable vane kind. well everything fell apart I got it together and without forcing it together. My question is is there a way to put the hot side with the vanes together wrong like 180 out when open is closed and closed is opened. I still have my body off the frame and waiting on parts that someone screwed up on ordering.

I don't think you could put it together wrong. The clocking ring only goes on one way. The crank that rotates the clocking ring can only go in that one oval whole. I'm also sure the vanes only go in one way, look at one of my pictures so make sure yours look the same. And the center section can only go on one way do to that alignment pin.

Does that answer you questions? I wasn't a 100% sure I read you question right but tried to cover everything I could think of.

Yellowchevy

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Yellow
Have you always used the mill? I though you where just using a die grinder. I bet that makes it go faster.

I have not always used the mill. I just starting using it this winter once we got settled into our house and the baby got bigger.
It helps tremendously :thumb:. I get that part of the work done faster and I can be more consistent than doing it by hand. Although I got pretty good at free handing 3" diameter holes with a die grinder, haha :D

Yellowchevy

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Yellowchevy, have a question for you, I rerouted my PVC (1 year ago) and still have oil residue at the turbo boot. While dis-assembling turbos have you noticed oil in the compressor side due to a leaking shaft seal making us all think the PCV amongst other issues, bad oil rings, low compression, etc. is responsible for the oil in the intake tract?

Several months ago I purchased a LBZ turbo (has 110k) for the just in case scenario and rebuilding, what is your turn around time for a LBZ turbo and what is the shipping weight to and from?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Yellowchevy, have a question for you, I rerouted my PVC (1 year ago) and still have oil residue at the turbo boot. While dis-assembling turbos have you noticed oil in the compressor side due to a leaking shaft seal making us all think the PCV amongst other issues, bad oil rings, low compression, etc. is responsible for the oil in the intake tract?

Several months ago I purchased a LBZ turbo (has 110k) for the just in case scenario and rebuilding, what is your turn around time for a LBZ turbo and what is the shipping weight to and from?

I'm not 100% if it's PVC or seals but every LLY or LBZ, sometime's IHI's, I get have oil all over the inside of the compressor cover and compressor wheel. Now some turbo range from 80k - 150k miles but they all look about the same with all that oil in them.

In all the ones I've inspected I haven't noticed that from seal to be leaking excessively. One thing that doesn't help in answering you question is I never get a chance to remove the turbo's from a running pickup so see if oil is coming from there. All the ones I get are shipped to me or I get locally which have been removed for some time.

I hope this some what answers you question, sorry if I wasn't quite there.

Yellowchevy

c20elephant

C20ELEPHANT
Apr 25, 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
Yellowchevy, have a question for you, I rerouted my PVC (1 year ago) and still have oil residue at the turbo boot. While dis-assembling turbos have you noticed oil in the compressor side due to a leaking shaft seal making us all think the PCV amongst other issues, bad oil rings, low compression, etc. is responsible for the oil in the intake tract??

I'm not 100% if it's PVC or seals but every LLY or LBZ, sometime's IHI's, I get have oil all over the inside of the compressor cover and compressor wheel. Now some turbo range from 80k - 150k miles but they all look about the same with all that oil in them.

In all the ones I've inspected I haven't noticed that from seal to be leaking excessively. One thing that doesn't help in answering you question is I never get a chance to remove the turbo's from a running pickup so see if oil is coming from there. All the ones I get are shipped to me or I get locally which have been removed for some time.

I hope this some what answers you question, sorry if I wasn't quite there.

Yellowchevy

Thanks a bunch, I'll remove the boot in a month or so.

Last edited:

Dozerboy

Jun 23, 2009
TX of course
C20 There is quite a bit of oil in the intercooler ETC so I bet what you are seeing is just residual. Are you losing any oil since your PCV rerout?

Sent from a ditch being dug near you using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the really low whine you get from from Russ mod when at 1-3psi of boost is really cool sounding. almost like a supercharger whine but not annoying loud

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
Thanks guys :hug:

What's funny is I've done all these turbo's but I've never ran one on my pickup, haha. I'll thank working in Canada for 2+ years, 12-16hrs a day, working 12-14hrs a day back here in the states, and having a baby. haha :rolleyes:

But that's going to change. I'm going to be putting a bunch of different turbo's on my pickup to do some testing. :D

I really need to find an LLY or one of those fleece magic unicorn boxes so I can run VVT on my pickup.

Yellowchevy