Politics and EV's.

lts1ow

Needs moar PAH!
May 14, 2012
NJ
It would also help if we didn't ship all of our oil off to Canada and Mexico because the epa labels it unsafe, guess what Canada and Mexico use it and it goes right into the atmosphere exactly where it would go if we used it

Thats your fault for assuming our govt. does things in any logical manner. :D

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
It is sad that all that natural gas is being burned off at the well sites.
Imagine that energy being harvested and used in local delivery vehicles and fork lifts across the country.
Those type of vehicles do not have a need of great range vs high reliability, good example mail system they usually operate in a given zip code, they can be fueled at the post office as often as needed and lower cost vs the gasoline they currently burn.
That is a start as the technology improves the fleet as it ages can be improved.

I have been stationed places where they run duty trucks on CNG, the current system is appaling. The intake/injection systems are PVC, and crack mere months after install. The CNG only systems may be different, but these were duel fuel's (there was a switch on the dash for gas or CNG.) I would like to see this done more, as the range of that truck (a ford ranger) was a tank of NG a month, when CNG system worked, and when it didn't, it was 2 tanks a fuel a month.

I believe there is a safety issue involved as well, something about compressed gas tanks can't or shouldn't be installed in an area where a gas leak could cause a build up. Last thing we need is this...

img_0110.jpg

Whitetail Addict

Rockin' the stock tune
May 8, 2008
South Central Pennsylvania
Due to the raw materials used in assembly and coal burnt to produce the electricity to charge, I don't see electric vehicles being the answer. Especially for those of us that live in rural areas.

I think diesel power in small vehicles is where the future should be directed. Not only is diesel more efficient and cleaner burning than gas, biodiesel is a much better direction for renewable fuel than ethanol.
I believe the oil companies know this as well (Europe). Whenever an auto manufacturer decides to put R&D into a small diesel it gets shelved due to high fuel prices. One day when I'm bored I'll see if there is a direct correlation with new diesel technology announcements and fuel price increases.
I heard two weeks ago from a GM salesman (take that for what it's worth) that the Cruze Diesel has now been put on the back burner, like the 4.5L Duramax.

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
It looks like someone would be working on a solar system that would store up energy during the day to charge your car at night? I know nothing about solar power other than you need the sun for it but why couldn't you charge a bank of batteries during the day that could transfer the power to your electric car at night?

leehype

Drunk with a Jeep problem
Aug 16, 2012
This could help EVs.

vid

That is great. I have always wanted to see something like that implemented, but figured no one would be willing to try. I hope it goes someplace besides getting shelved for price and power competition.

MadMaxx61

Devilmaxx
Oct 13, 2008
Windsor, Ont, Canada
It would also help if we didn't ship all of our oil off to Canada and Mexico because the epa labels it unsafe, guess what Canada and Mexico use it and it goes right into the atmosphere exactly where it would go if we used it

We also here in Canada ship a lot of our oil to the USA. As far as I know most of the oil we import is sent to the refineries then shipped back to the USA as gas and diesel and other base oil stocks.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

Operator1

Nov 20, 2009
NC
I have always thought that diesel/electric vehicles were a good idea. Caterpillar brought a D/E bulldozer to my work year before last to try out. I didn't get to run it, but I heard good things about the way it worked.