LB7: Pistons ?

Bako_Dmax

GTO Slayer
Apr 3, 2008
Bako
^^^ I think that info would be great to discover whats happening to these pistons. I thought about that yesterday if anyone had sent their bad pistons for analyses.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I would be will to share some of the cost I am shure others would pitch in as well it would be great info to have .

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I just need to find somewhere that can do material analysis.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
www.mydieseladdiction.com
Summitracing.com has a large selection of oil coolers - I will likely be getting THIS ONE and adding an ELECTRIC FAN. I think I'm going to move the AirDog further back on the frame and make a bracket to mount this in front of it.

I'm going to use the adapter that was already on my truck for the amsoil bypass kit and mount a remote filter between the motor and the cooler.

Last edited:

Turbotug

BEER SLAYER
Sep 3, 2006
Phoenix
IIRC, the lines on KB's kit are atleast -12 ;)

The bypass probably won't move enough oil to make a difference. 100% of the flow in KB's kit goes through the cooler.

Last edited:

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
As for Johnny's engine failing at low throttle/RPM levels, some of you probably remember hearing how several rod failures happened under about the same type of situations. Maybe Fingers can verify, but it was speculated that cylinder pressure can be very high at low RPM and throttle levels because of the fuel all being sprayed in before TDC.

If you mean me , Johnny ....

I wouldnt say I was at low throttle or rpm . Foot was on the floor and rpm was screamin in the sand 2wd blowing off the tires with light load on them not hooking up . 1700*

I was wacking mine , just not the usual 4wd hooked up climbing Oldsmobile Hill for about 40 seconds at beyond acceptable egt's . 2000*

Just really suprised me it blew when it did . 2WD doing a brody wasnt when I thought it would ever let loose , it would have let loose about 5 minutes later though in my mind . I was heading for the big hill to go for it . Saved me a long tow through the sand . :D

I dont think oil temp would have saved me really , but it has been on my mind with it being such a part of cooling the piston . Certainly couldnt hurt to try and keep the oil temp in better check just for possible better overall life of pistons and cycling temps .

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
If you mean me , Johnny ....

I wouldnt say I was at low throttle or rpm . Foot was on the floor and rpm was screamin in the sand 2wd blowing off the tires with light load on them not hooking up . 1700*

I was wacking mine , just not the usual 4wd hooked up climbing Oldsmobile Hill for about 40 seconds at beyond acceptable egt's . 2000*

Just really suprised me it blew when it did . 2WD doing a brody wasnt when I thought it would ever let loose , it would have let loose about 5 minutes later though in my mind . I was heading for the big hill to go for it . Saved me a long tow through the sand . :D

I dont think oil temp would have saved me really , but it has been on my mind with it being such a part of cooling the piston . Certainly couldnt hurt to try and keep the oil temp in better check just for possible better overall life of pistons and cycling temps .
Sorry, I must have misread your post about how your piston failed or got you confused with someone else.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
IIRC, the lines on KB's kit are atleast -12 ;)

The bypass probably won't move enough oil to make a difference. 100% of the flow in KB's kit goes through the cooler.

I had the dual filter mount bypass kit - full flow comes out of the motor and the full flow and bypass filters are all on one unit. I won't be using the bypass setup anymore but would use the adapter at the motor still. The fittings on it were -8 and that is why I stopped at the one I posted. If the fan is on a thermostat I won't need a thermostatic oil filter adapter and like I said I can mount a romote filter before the cooler.

1slow01Z71 if you are going to spend that much on the cooler you may as well get THIS ONE and have the fan and shroud all with it and a slightly larger cooler.

Also whether you want a thermostatic oil filter adapter or a plain adapter you need to know that the nipple for the oil filter is 20mm x 1.5 thread and the o-ring seating area is 3.5" diameter.

Here is a thermostatic adapter - you would need to make sure it has a 3.5" diameter for the o-ring.

I am now thinking about the cooler with fan I posted here, a remote filter mount, a bunch of 1/2" NPT to -12AN fittings and some high pressure line and I'll be set. I'll just move my trans temp gauge's sender to the oil cooler and monitor oil temps instead.

othrgrl

Diesel Addiction Owner
Mar 10, 2008
Wilmington NC
Just ordered everything for my oil cooler:

Oil Cooler - make Summit price match CarShopInc.com
Oil Filter Mount - won't take a Duramax filter but I'll just get a filter that fits it.
4 - 1/2NPT to -12AN fittings for the adapter at the motor and the filter mount
4 - -12AN hose ends for the adapter and filter mount
2 - 90* -12AN hose fittings for at the oil cooler
10 ft of braided nylon 350PSI -12AN line
10" 1000 CFM electric fan - picked it up at their booth at a swap meet this weekend

Total with shipping and all was under $600. I'll wire the fan to a switch beside my oil temp gauge (what used to be my trans temp gauge) so that it's only on when I want it to be. You could also use a thermal fan switch to do it for you.

I like this setup more for me because the truck doesn't have to be moving to push air through the cooler and after a pass down the track I can sit in the pits with the truck idling and the fan on. I'll let you know what I see for temps.

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
sounds good dustin , i like the idea of a fan as well , post up some pics also when you get it finished .

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Aug 12, 2008
MI
Michael, what ended up causing the failure of your LBZ block? Was it rods, pistons, or both?

When I was running a stock LBZ shortblock in the 02, I cracked and torched a hole in the #6 LBZ piston. This happened at the TS race in 2007 during a 1/4 mile pass. That motor was making 700 at the wheels on a Superflow dyno.

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Aug 12, 2008
MI
BTW, after pulling the motor I did find all 8 LBZ rods were bent a little bit :D

Last edited: