Oval Piston Roll Call!!

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Correct me if im wrong but the adaptors with the valve in them that hold the pressure should still get you to the same point after so many revolutions? So let's say the first one gets to 220, second, 260 and so on. Just curious John.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Correct me if im wrong but the adaptors with the valve in them that hold the pressure should still get you to the same point after so many revolutions? So let's say the first one gets to 220, second, 260 and so on. Just curious John.

Yes. If your adapter has the schrader valve in the tip, the length of your hose will only change how long you have to crank on it to get max pressure. Crank until the needle stops moving.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
Putting my motor in now that has 16.5:1 .020 overs. will just be waiting on injectors after Saturday to have fire. can't wait to hear them.

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Yes. If your adapter has the schrader valve in the tip, the length of your hose will only change how long you have to crank on it to get max pressure. Crank until the needle stops moving.

Ok. But the adaptor needs to be same length as glow plug with valve at vary end correct? The adaptor I used did not go down as deep.

ctodd36

Nov 4, 2016
Otego, NY
Waiting on the machine shop as well. Running your .020 overs at 15.5:1 a Hamilton 192-200 cam, Hamilton pushrods and springs, heads are getting a valve job, lb7 cryo treated crank, keyed cam and crank, 100% overs. Plus all the mods in my sig. Hoping to hit a good high hp single charger number. These pistons sure do look pretty tho!

Hey what did this set up make?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ikeG

Oughta Know Better
Apr 19, 2011
Western PA
www.facebook.com
Good timing for this to bump back up. I have just tore down our puller engine with 2 seasons on a set of forged .040". 26 pulls and 18 dyno runs. Half of those at 1250hp and half of them at 1500+. They are still mint condition. We will be re-ringing just because.
f7aeca4cc2aac524689fd807d99ee25b.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ctodd36

Nov 4, 2016
Otego, NY
Good timing for this to bump back up. I have just tore down our puller engine with 2 seasons on a set of forged .040". 26 pulls and 18 dyno runs. Half of those at 1250hp and half of them at 1500+. They are still mint condition. We will be re-ringing just because.
f7aeca4cc2aac524689fd807d99ee25b.jpg

This is great news I’m excited for my new motor to see its longevity with these pistons !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA

Very nice.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
What’s the idea behind oval bowl forged pistons? I understand they make for a much stronger piston which is needed for the cast version. But are people cracking the standard bowl forged pistons? I’m not being critical at all just curious if there’s maybe another advantage to the oval bowl that I’m missing.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
What’s the idea behind oval bowl forged pistons? I understand they make for a much stronger piston which is needed for the cast version. But are people cracking the standard bowl forged pistons? I’m not being critical at all just curious if there’s maybe another advantage to the oval bowl that I’m missing.

Thanks.

Take a strong piston and make it, well, stronger.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Cool. I can appreciate that.

Has anyone cracked a forged piston in a Duramax?

Has anyone ever done a back to back dyno of round versus oval bowl at the same compression ratio to see if there is any difference?

Ne-max

I like turtles
Nov 15, 2011
Lincoln, Ne
Here is what sold me on the oval design. Many guys had cast pistons break on higher hp applications. So most had to run forged pistons. Now many guys are running cast oval pistons with hardly any failures. My truck has beat on these pistons the last 2 years. This year we was around 1200hp. There is a lot of great info on how and why these pistons hold up on these in older post.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Oh believe me Ne-max I’ve read all of those threads that I’ve seen over the years. I’m sure I missed a few though. I am definitely a fan of the oval design for cast pistons. They have certainly proven themselves to be stronger then a round bowl cast piston. My question was simply why do it on the forged pistons also. I guess the answer is simply it works good on one, might as well do it on all of them.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
Time for this to come back to the top.
Building new and looking for more info on these. Also curious about thermal barrier coating John uses is it worth it?

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
Mark, is that CR considered relatively high for a "race engine" or is that about where you like em for high performance (1000++hp) duramax engines?
Yes, it is a touch higher than most would do for a race engine but this was actually supposed to be the street motor for White Lightning a couple years ago and ended up in this truck because why not. Makes it that much sweeter!