Ounces vs LBS

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
It would seem a lot of weight could possibly still be removed:

Remove all glass and replace with Lexan. Remove all window power motors, cables, brackets, etc. and replace with simple lightweight frame that the Lexan attaches to with screws.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
just FYI, ill build the framing for the fenders as light as possible but its probably gunna weight around 50lbs or more.

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
I'd like to do this to my truck as well but don't no anyone around here that does it. Do u use square tubing?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I take it you all forgot about this:
DSCF2211.jpg

From here:
http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showpost.php?p=311494&postcount=148

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

Oh i know about trents setup. its just not very clean looking to me though. brians setup will be removable (not welded to the frame), just not sure how many pieces i want to come apart from it. bed sides will be dzus fastened on with these

my favorites for when you need to work on chet. you always seem to loose the regular ones, not to metion if one comes loose, it wont go on the track.

tubing will be just mild steel but most likely .083 wall, have not decided on 1.25 or 1". probably go 1.25" OD

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
Oh i know about trents setup. its just not very clean looking to me though. brians setup will be removable (not welded to the frame), just not sure how many pieces i want to come apart from it. bed sides will be dzus fastened on with these

my favorites for when you need to work on chet. you always seem to loose the regular ones, not to metion if one comes loose, it wont go on the track.

tubing will be just mild steel but most likely .083 wall, have not decided on 1.25 or 1". probably go 1.25" OD

Man I'd love to see the write up on that but I'm sure u can't let ur master skills out of the bag!! Lol I'd really like it to b removable! Wish u were in Ar n not Az!! Lol that would b a heck of ah trip.

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
Last bit of weight I could find in the LB7.

Pulled the bed off and removed the outer skins. come in at 36lbs each side for a long bed. Plan on making a bed cage to hold the skins up like others have done. Not sure how much the bed itself weighed, wouldn't be surprise if the long beds are 350lbs+.

I will make 5000 lb race weight next time the truck sees a scale.

What did u use to cut skins off with? I'd like mine to look as clean as possible like urs.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
I used a step drill bit that james recommended. My first time removing bed panels, neighbors scratch their heads at me a lot :roflmao: I just drilled out the factory spot welds. Was easy to do just had to figure out where they were :D

JeremyDon88

Feb 6, 2012
I used a step drill bit that james recommended. My first time removing bed panels, neighbors scratch their heads at me a lot :roflmao: I just drilled out the factory spot welds. Was easy to do just had to figure out where they were :D

Humm. I'll have to figure out where they are to. Lol u tho about doin 4 link to save weight or is that out of the question on these trucks? Haven't seen no one do it so I'm guess I guess It's not worth it. Lol

OregonDMAX

NOT IN OREGON, NO DURAMAX
Apr 28, 2013
Goodyear, AZ
They make a spot weld cutter bit, works great if you are trying to save the panels but if you are throwing the bed away then yeah a step bit is the best.

As for a true 4-link, D-bag has one on overkill but I remember several reputable racers saying that it weighed more than the leaf spring setup and he didn't have it dailed in worth a shit.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Man I'd love to see the write up on that but I'm sure u can't let ur master skills out of the bag!! Lol I'd really like it to b removable! Wish u were in Ar n not Az!! Lol that would b a heck of ah trip.

Haha there really isnt much too it. its all about measuring, bending and notching. having a game plan ahead of time helps. this kinda stuff is what i do for fun. fabricating is fun and a pain in the ass at the same time lol

What did u use to cut skins off with? I'd like mine to look as clean as possible like urs.

go down to an automotive paint store and buy a spot weld cutter. way faster than drilling and easier on you.

Humm. I'll have to figure out where they are to. Lol u tho about doin 4 link to save weight or is that out of the question on these trucks? Haven't seen no one do it so I'm guess I guess It's not worth it. Lol

well most dont because of racing in certain classes. some do double classes and i dont remember what class it is but you have to keep the factory rear suspension in place.

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Plus my truck is too light for any nhrda class besides 10.90. Won't be racing it much anyways when it comes to that, just a Friday night truck.:rofl: