? on PPE boost valve for lb7

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
worth the purchase or no? sorry for asking a lot of dumb questions on the site, just trying to learn and find out as much as possible. tried using the search but didnt really come up with anything. thanks guys

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
i would say yes , you can just plug the wastgate boost hose but you have to watch your boost pressure because you can overspeed the turbo . i ran this way with no issues but others have said they ruined there turbos . probably better to by the boost valve and play it safe but i was cheap :D

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A boost pipe like PPE sells "fools" the wastegate into opening later. LB7 chargers do OK up to 32psi, but as go further the lifespan drops rapidly as you go higher. By the time you hit 40PSI, it's about 100% failure rate.

Most the big LB7 tunes will run more HP if you can turn the charger up to 30PSI or so, and are fueled accordingly.

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
A boost pipe like PPE sells "fools" the wastegate into opening later. LB7 chargers do OK up to 32psi, but as go further the lifespan drops rapidly as you go higher. By the time you hit 40PSI, it's about 100% failure rate.

Most the big LB7 tunes will run more HP if you can turn the charger up to 30PSI or so, and are fueled accordingly.

ahh ok, soo better to go with some kind of tune like a EFI live tune, or say hand held tune that will also add fuel and what not, and not put me in any kind of danger with the failure of the turbo.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
No, to get up past 26psi, you will need to do something. A Bank's BigHead, a boost pipe, BUT NOT VISEGRIPS@! :D Without something, you are leaving power on the table. While there is a bit more power to be had by going past 32, it becomes risky. Many run at 34psi and have mixed luck.

The PPE valve makes about 30 PSI if I remember correctly.

CancerPipe

Aug 8, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
there have been quite a few people touching on 35-37 with certain tunes using the boost valve. I went with the kennedy's valve because its adjustable. So is the big-head wastegate, but its more of a pain.

chevyburnout1

Fixing it till it breaks
Aug 25, 2008
Berthoud, CO
Each truck/tune reacts differently to the valve. I believe its a safe, easy way for the norm of us to increase boost. I run it. I'm happy with it. I'm not hitting their peak numbers as advertised but like I said I believe it depends on each truck, tuning, elevation, etc etc. I'm at about 5200ft elevation and stock I went from 18-19 to about 21psi. With my tune I run at about 25 with peaks at 27. But DO NOT disconnect it! I'm on my second turbo due to that plus a leaky boost gauge :p

Noreaster

Jun 13, 2007
Cape Cod,MA
The Banks & BD wastegates have bigger diaphragms than the factory gate that will hold more pressure & prevent opening earlier. Example-if you have a IHI turbo on a bench, hook up an air hose to the wastegate line. Test 1 stock, gate opened at 2xpsi. Test 2 was with a crack pipe, gate opened later but was creeping open close to test 1.

03 D-max

Honorary "Tosser"
Apr 29, 2008
Lowville NY
i have one and i like it. with my economy tune i was running 19 psi and with the valve i am seeing 27 psi at wot... if i make a tune that will go over 30 psi my transmission will limp so with my stock tranny, i dont have a problem with over spinning my turbo

radvans

Jun 4, 2007
SoCal
I've had two stock turbo's. The first one with the ppe boost valve. Ran well over 35 psi sustained, on ppe lv 10. Turbo lasted 3-5 months. The new turbo no boost valve and with the ppe lv10, mcrat and neens efi tunes I can peak 34-35 and sustain 32. With some of the bigger tunes now is it really needed?

bonescarolfi

Sep 3, 2008
Marshfield WI
I use the ppe valve too and haven't had any issues. When i had the bullydog power pup i couldn't really notice a difference with the valve but that was only a 90 hp tune i think. I've hit 35psi with it a few times but it normally peaks at 32psi.

2500HeavyDuty

Book 'em, Danno!
Feb 14, 2008
Katy, Tx
www.myspace.com
i used to hit 32 with out a boost valve on a tune with lots of pw. but stopped running it cause the egts would climb real fast.

i run with a ppe valve, and better tuning and make about 33psi, and i got my boost valve reading map from somewhere else

03GreenLB7

R-O-C-K in the U.S.A.
Jan 16, 2009
Pittsburgh
ahh ok, soo for 30 bucks, i think ill get it, but what im also picking up on is that im def going to need to get a boost gauge. to monitor my psi to make sure im not going crazy with the boost. and guess ill also get a egt gauge also

brace urself, another dumb question. if i get this valve and say a ppe programmer, what power levels could i go to before i would be looking at harm into the stock tranny?