LML oil pump conversion info....

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
I'm sure Tim didn't do it for the hell of it guys. Since nobody has been doing it and providing info for the rest of us let him do the leg work and provide us with info that could possibly be helpful. At least be supportive of his efforts that just might turn out to be a good thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I would be interested in hearing the cost of this vs the billet oil pumps from SoCal and DPR.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'm sure Tim didn't do it for the hell of it guys. Since nobody has been doing it and providing info for the rest of us let him do the leg work and provide us with info that could possibly be helpful. At least be supportive of his efforts that just might turn out to be a good thing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nothing wrong with trying new stuff. Kudos to anyone wanting to do something different.

But for 11% which likely will only amount to a couple more l/min of oil flow and to replace a pump that has been proven to hold up fine with one that currently has issues which GM doesn't even know how to fix yet just seems like a questionable venture to me is all.

Again, thanks for the info and doing the legwork!:thumb: Who knows, maybe the extra 11% will be the next biggest thing to improve our engines!
It's just MO that it's money better spent elsewhere. Not negative feedback, just putting things in perspective is all.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
how much $ did you have involved in all those parts? sounds like a socal hi pres pump wouldve been a lot easier..

I opened up my oil squirters, shimmed my pump, and sang cum-bya. Lol. My opinion is that the old style pumps arent built for additional flow needs and are rather rrstrictive when compared side to side with an lml pump. GM doesnt make them to make the motor more expensive....I wouldve had MAYBE $400 into it all had I bought the lml oil drive gear and tray. The parts are almost half the price of buying old style parts brand new.

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
Nothing wrong with trying new stuff. Kudos to anyone wanting to do something different.

But for 11% which likely will only amount to a couple more l/min of oil flow and to replace a pump that has been proven to hold up fine with one that currently has issues which GM doesn't even know how to fix yet just seems like a questionable venture to me is all.

Again, thanks for the info and doing the legwork!:thumb: Who knows, maybe the extra 11% will be the next biggest thing to improve our engines!
It's just MO that it's money better spent elsewhere. Not negative feedback, just putting things in perspective is all.
Flow in the upper rpm where I like to play is crucial. Hence all my new modifications. Socal off the shelf parts don't cut it...

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I opened up my oil squirters, shimmed my pump, and sang cum-bya. Lol. My opinion is that the old style pumps arent built for additional flow needs and are rather rrstrictive when compared side to side with an lml pump. GM doesnt make them to make the motor more expensive....I wouldve had MAYBE $400 into it all had I bought the lml oil drive gear and tray. The parts are almost half the price of buying old style parts brand new.

Hmmnnnn opening the oil squirters. Good idea!! I can see why you would want the higher flow then as you would likely need it to maintain oil pressure.:thumb:
Care to share how much larger you made the openings?

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
yeah $400 isn't too bad I guess, but how much work is it? I'm not being negative in any way, just asking questions..it would have to be an EASY weekend project for me to justify it..

it requires removal of upper oil pan so that means pulling trans and flexplate to get to the rear cover bolts that go into the pan.
Would be a mod you'd want to do during an engine build most likely

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
Bringing this back to life

How big are ppl opening oil squirters? And anyone ever shim the stock oil pump? If so how much? Is it possable to shim pump to compensate for bigger squirters or is there simply not enough volume from a stock pump?

Only ask cause I'm in the bottom end, and if I can simple drill the squirters and shim a pressure reg while I'm here, may as well do it.

*edit* on second though, guess there could be some cold start issues associated with higher psi... At any rate id like to hear other ppls opinions.

Last edited:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
both can't hurt. The advantage to shimming the relief and regulator is to help lubricate the mains and camshaft at higher rpm and load. Some can say it is unnecessary, but If we are doubling the torque and increasing RPM by 50%, then it is only logical to address the critical systems such as oil supply and cooling. I don't remember off the top of my head what I drilled the squirters out to, but for some reason .073" rings a bell.

Last edited:

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
It is the best option other than Mellings high volume pump and Socal billet pump. Cost for everything for a plug and play conversion would be around 600 bucks for new items.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Bumping this up to the top, I took both a Melling M316 and stock LB7 oil pump apart and found the gears are identical width, diameter, and tooth count. So after finding this how can this pump actually flow more oil? The Melling has piss poor surface finishes, gears didn't look as nice as the factory ones either so the only thing I can assume is the housing holds a tighter clearance when hot vs the stock one (cast vs Aluminum) and maybe the relief valve spring is a little stronger. When I get time i'm going to try and test the opening point of both, anyone else running the Melling could they post there experiences I did see in this thread a few people are getting higher pressure readings just looking for more input on them.