Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
That’s the plan. You gotta send me that info though!

Massive difference. Oil cooling is by far the least of my issues now. I don’t see over 230* no matter how hard it’s pushed up the hills or rpm ran.

Overall, from the exact same trip as last year with NO tracker in the trailer (4-5k less weight), I pulled the hills about 5-10mph faster and stayed cooler even at those speeds and the tracker inside the rig. Which was great till I lost a boot up the last hill into flag (pos Chinese PPE boot).

On the way back, I got dicked over by a guy in a car and lost momentum up verde hill. Slowed to 50 but got back up to 55-60 and oil temps held 200-210 (amazing as they have NEVER stayed that cool unless it’s 50* outside). Coolant stayed the same. By the top of the hill I got screwed again and was down in 3rd gear, 3k rpm and oil temp hit 225-230 and coolant just started to climb to around the same but never went higher. Best I’ve ever seen the truck stay cool before. Usually I’m at 230-240 on coolant about 1/2 way up the hill. I literally had my eye glued to the coolant temp waiting for it to move and it just held steady. My smile kept getting bigger every time I glanced down lol

Unless there was a large grade coming, I actually never turned the fans for the oil cooler and aux rad on. Oil temp would hold right with the coolant the whole time around 190-210 depending on the little grades I hit. Again, coldest I’ve ever seen as usually I’m holding steady at 220* under the same conditions on the old oil cooler and fan running the entire time.

This cooler rocks and the external with it makes oil temps a thing of the past no matter the temp outside. Coolant heat capacity becomes the new name of the game as I expected. It was nice never seeing oil pressure drop under 60psi the entire hill with the better pump.

Also one thing to mention, since I am running 20w-50 in the truck, that will heat up oil faster than 15w-40 and it still could keep it cool.

I’m going to monitor oil temps with my same auto meter gauge in the 2020 when it comes in and I might put my external oil cooler on it as well if it’s hotter than I like. I also want to see if I can find an actual temp sensor for oil temp factory or if it’s just an algorithm like Ben was thinking.

In the end, buy the cooler, put an external on with a good fan as well and never worry about oil temps, just watch coolant temps

Which external works best?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Has anyone ever done testing with an aux cooler and where it is mounted? I.E. is it better to place it in front of the cooling stack or mount it under the truck with electric fans? I'm going to be running an external cooler on my motor rebuild with the 2020 cooler (overkill is my goal) so that oil temps aren't a major concern but will be monitored.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I have yet to see over 220 on my oil temp gauge since doing the swap hauling a 2015 GMC dually on my 24’ bumper pull trailer (probably around 21k lbs gross between the truck and trailer). That load would normally see peak temps of 240-250 with the factory cooler, but I am hesitant to compare temps because I had to move my temp probe to the pan with the new cooler. I need to get an adapter sorted out so I can put it back in the cooler housing like I had it before reading pre-cooler temps. On the highway, it is usually showing around 180-190 where before it was usually around 210-220.

I finally moved my temp sensor to the cooler the other day. I have driven it around a little unloaded, and I am seeing temps around 20 degrees hotter than I was seeing in the pan. I don't know if this is a straight 20 degrees or if the delta changes with temperatures. However, this tells me that just the upgraded factory cooler has dropped my oil temps by roughly 10 degrees unloaded in the heat of summer. I got out on the highway running 75-80, and the temps were holding pretty steady at 210 (old cooler would run 220 same conditions). It town or below 60 it would drop back to around 200. I'll update what kind of temps I see towing next time I hook up to a trailer.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I finally moved my temp sensor to the cooler the other day. I have driven it around a little unloaded, and I am seeing temps around 20 degrees hotter than I was seeing in the pan. I don't know if this is a straight 20 degrees or if the delta changes with temperatures. However, this tells me that just the upgraded factory cooler has dropped my oil temps by roughly 10 degrees unloaded in the heat of summer. I got out on the highway running 75-80, and the temps were holding pretty steady at 210 (old cooler would run 220 same conditions). It town or below 60 it would drop back to around 200. I'll update what kind of temps I see towing next time I hook up to a trailer.

see how close it is matching up with coolant temps now. I noticed it was staying right on track with coolant temp till loaded down and no external cooler. curious if mines a bit more skewed with the added cooling capacity.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
see how close it is matching up with coolant temps now. I noticed it was staying right on track with coolant temp till loaded down and no external cooler. curious if mines a bit more skewed with the added cooling capacity.
It ran closer to coolant temps when it was in the pan. My coolant temps empty usually run 180-185.
I think the pan would be more accurate Josh.
The problem is my readings with the factory oil cooler were all taken in the hot side of the factory oil cooler, and I wanted a good A-B comparison.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I think the pan would be more accurate Josh.

It ran closer to coolant temps when it was in the pan. My coolant temps empty usually run 180-185.
The problem is my readings with the factory oil cooler were all taken in the hot side of the factory oil cooler, and I wanted a good A-B comparison.

I would agree that oil pan temps would be the most representative of what the engine sees as that is the pickup. While it isn't the hottest in the system they all should provide a reasonable measurement, it just depends what you're looking to monitor.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I have 3 temp probes, the first one is the temp being supplied pre filter/ pre coolers. The second is after the stock cooler feeding the mains, the third is temp feeding the stock filter/cooler from aftermarket cooler. The aftermarket one is the biggest cooler Fluidyne sells and it also has their fan and custom shroud on it. I mounted it underneath a little in front of the fuel cooler next to the output shaft on the transfer case like a few others have done. Also have the nice mocal cooler adapter with the thermostat and still have the stock engine oil cooler.

On my setup when hauling heavy after the oil temp surpasses the coolant temp feeding the mains by 10+° then each cooler drops the temp by about 8-10°. The aux cooler I have a temp switch for a fan that comes on around 200° for the oil leaving the aux cooler. Most of the time unloaded the fan stays off unless it's 85+° outside or i'm getting some good WOT pulls in and oil temp feeding the mains is mostly the same as coolant temp. I don't have a actual pan temp sensor just what the pump is supplying the filter/cooler assembly, the hottest I've seen there is almost 250° and 230ish back to the mains. This was in the high 90's pulling 18k+ on some big hills doing 70+mph most of they way until coolant temps get over 230° then I start slowing it down.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I have 3 temp probes, the first one is the temp being supplied pre filter/ pre coolers. The second is after the stock cooler feeding the mains, the third is temp feeding the stock filter/cooler from aftermarket cooler. The aftermarket one is the biggest cooler Fluidyne sells and it also has their fan and custom shroud on it. I mounted it underneath a little in front of the fuel cooler next to the output shaft on the transfer case like a few others have done. Also have the nice mocal cooler adapter with the thermostat and still have the stock engine oil cooler.

On my setup when hauling heavy after the oil temp surpasses the coolant temp feeding the mains by 10+° then each cooler drops the temp by about 8-10°. The aux cooler I have a temp switch for a fan that comes on around 200° for the oil leaving the aux cooler. Most of the time unloaded the fan stays off unless it's 85+° outside or i'm getting some good WOT pulls in and oil temp feeding the mains is mostly the same as coolant temp. I don't have a actual pan temp sensor just what the pump is supplying the filter/cooler assembly, the hottest I've seen there is almost 250° and 230ish back to the mains. This was in the high 90's pulling 18k+ on some big hills doing 70+mph most of they way until coolant temps get over 230° then I start slowing it down.

Got any images on your setup? I’m leaning towards mounting in that area for ease of plumbing and keeping heat out of the cooling stack.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Here's a couple quick ones of the cooler
269fb7b5a72f0190eb610508b4bcfa21.jpg
3529dfabb020cd32241505d5e7e834ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
I would agree that oil pan temps would be the most representative of what the engine sees as that is the pickup. While it isn't the hottest in the system they all should provide a reasonable measurement, it just depends what you're looking to monitor.

From what I have seen and what we typically measure the oil pan temp is the hottest place by a decent margin.

hntngkd

Jun 24, 2013
Attica, Mi
Interesting, Josh is showing that it’s not and that post pump/pre cooler actually is hottest
I guess i could see that happening on a truck going down the road maybe. With the wind blowing on the oil pan i guess that could cool it quite a bit. Kind of limited on that type of scenario here but there is an air source blowing steadily on the pan to replicate that. Where is he measuring in the pan?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I guess i could see that happening on a truck going down the road maybe. With the wind blowing on the oil pan i guess that could cool it quite a bit. Kind of limited on that type of scenario here but there is an air source blowing steadily on the pan to replicate that. Where is he measuring in the pan?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

He has a ppe pan so I assume at the little plug in this pic below the oil level sensor

a0aed6c9a72d1885c1ce28e3e84de0f1.jpg