LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
there is plenty of meat to recess the allen key and then punch in the temp sensor while still having room to grab the sensor with a wrench and tighten. if you look at my pics, thats how mine is done.

Judging by looking your hex is a 1/2 wrench though to tighten yes? Mine took a 9/16. I was going to have a machinist from work do it and even after me showing him your photos he agreed that it would take to muchaterial off of my plug.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Judging by looking your hex is a 1/2 wrench though to tighten yes? Mine took a 9/16. I was going to have a machinist from work do it and even after me showing him your photos he agreed that it would take to muchaterial off of my plug.

that would be the difference and why i ask for a pic if someone wants me to make one.

there is also the option of filling the allen with weld, build it up beyond the top, drill, tap and cut two flats on the sides of the plug to allow it to be tighten up with a wrench. it doesnt need a ton of torque.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
that would be the difference and why i ask for a pic if someone wants me to make one.

there is also the option of filling the allen with weld, build it up beyond the top, drill, tap and cut two flats on the sides of the plug to allow it to be tighten up with a wrench. it doesnt need a ton of torque.

Oh lord let’s not even discuss my welding abilities. I only do it once about every 6 months. It leaves “some” to be desired! :rofl:

James what part of these plugs actually do the sealing . Is it the thread locker/ sealer on them or is it the angled flange on top??

Last edited:

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Couldn't one just braze on the right threaded fitting to this plug after drilling a hole in it? Seems like it would be easier then welding and grinding. Plus it would already have the hex/flats for a wrench.

Something like this https://www.mcmaster.com/50785k141

I guess there is dozens of ways one could go about this

Last edited:

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Does anyone have part numbers for a 2017-2019 oil cooler, bracket and gaskets?

Rockauto and all the online GM parts websites do, may be best to look there. If you do some searching you will find it pretty quickly. I think this took me ~10 minutes.

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-parts/2019/chevrolet/silverado-3500-hd/high-country-trim/6-6l-v8-diesel-engine/engine-cat/engine-parts-scat

Cooler: 12678318
Cooler>Adapter Gasket: 12647254
Adapter Gasket>Rear Cover: 97192667

You may need other gaskets depending how far you take it down (coolant pipe gaskets etc).

1TRIKHD

Country boy Limo.
Sep 15, 2015
P.N.W
I'm have know where the knowledge as most of you, but why couldnt you just use the L5P sensor that is used with the new coolers? That way you dont have to dill, tap, machine, lathe for the sensor that is already being used on your truck. Teach me up fellas!

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
I'm have know where the knowledge as most of you, but why couldnt you just use the L5P sensor that is used with the new coolers? That way you dont have to dill, tap, machine, lathe for the sensor that is already being used on your truck. Teach me up fellas!

no idea where the sensor is but im doubting its in the cooler, most likely an oil galley. if it was in the cooler, id expect it to come with no plug in a hole or just a white cap in the hole.

Ben found that the LML ecm has the ability to read oil temp (not sure if it will need a tune or not). hes making a little kit to plug into the ecm and a factory style sensor adapted into the 01-19 coolers. hes going to use the ebay brass 20x1.5 adapter for the 2020 cooler.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin

To my knowledge there still isn't an oil temp sensor on these 2020 trucks, especially none on the cooler itself. This is for the addition of an oil temp gauge as 01-19 don't monitor oil temp which can be very valuable when towing.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
no idea where the sensor is but im doubting its in the cooler, most likely an oil galley. if it was in the cooler, id expect it to come with no plug in a hole or just a white cap in the hole.

Ben found that the LML ecm has the ability to read oil temp (not sure if it will need a tune or not). hes making a little kit to plug into the ecm and a factory style sensor adapted into the 01-19 coolers. hes going to use the ebay brass 20x1.5 adapter for the 2020 cooler.

I'll be interested to see this, do earlier ECMs have this capability?

M.A.M.

Jan 9, 2016
Ohio
That kit from Ben sounds interesting! I’ll have to check into that.

I’m not sure what year it started, I was under the impression with the L5P ( might be the ‘19), but the banks idash does read oil temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
To my knowledge there still isn't an oil temp sensor on these 2020 trucks, especially none on the cooler itself. This is for the addition of an oil temp gauge as 01-19 don't monitor oil temp which can be very valuable when towing.

all L5P's can watch oil temps factory now

I'll be interested to see this, do earlier ECMs have this capability?

no, just LML and up

lutzjk913

May 5, 2010
groveport, ohio
Read a little saying that the sensors are different.

Will a L5P sensor work with the old harness or is it a different plug?

I’m sure someone has thought this already.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Read a little saying that the sensors are different.

Will a L5P sensor work with the old harness or is it a different plug?

I’m sure someone has thought this already.

old harness of ??? Bens deal for the LML trucks wont be using a L5P sensor, i know that much.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
Here’s my results guys. Now I never had a sensor in my stock cooler to compare any temps to but based on the consensus of everyone else this is one of the most worthwhile upgrades you can do! Any ways here it is.

My mods are in my sig. I would classify my self as slightly modified. Stock turbo, stock fuel and stock trans. While I had it this far down I installed Mishimoto race thermostats (stock ones we junk seeing 165-170 at 55mph) which open 5 degrees cooler than stock. Installed a Hayden 2886 fan clutch, and a new water pump. Engine oil temp stays within 5 degrees of ECM’s displayed ECT. even doing 85-90 mph held down interstate highest temp seen was 185. Real test will be this weekend. Camping this weekend with projected forecasts of 85-90* not climbing any hills this weekend. But next weekend camper will be drug through some hills. Will update again next weekend after it sees some hills with the camper behind it.

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Here’s my results guys. Now I never had a sensor in my stock cooler to compare any temps to but based on the consensus of everyone else this is one of the most worthwhile upgrades you can do! Any ways here it is.

My mods are in my sig. I would classify my self as slightly modified. Stock turbo, stock fuel and stock trans. While I had it this far down I installed Mishimoto race thermostats (stock ones we junk seeing 165-170 at 55mph) which open 5 degrees cooler than stock. Installed a Hayden 2886 fan clutch, and a new water pump. Engine oil temp stays within 5 degrees of ECM’s displayed ECT. even doing 85-90 mph held down interstate highest temp seen was 185. Real test will be this weekend. Camping this weekend with projected forecasts of 85-90* not climbing any hills this weekend. But next weekend camper will be drug through some hills. Will update again next weekend after it sees some hills with the camper behind it.

thats good but you have no data to really back it against from the stock and thats a pretty important piece. So you wont really know how much its helping. it should for sure help though.

Ill be hammering on my saturday up to payson. i would see 230-240 up the same hills and same load running 70mph in 105-110* heat. Should have the same conditions coming back saturday evening up the worse grade on that road (6%+ for 8 miles, it progressively gets steeper). Same route the mfg use to do temp tests on new vehicles during the summer.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
thats good but you have no data to really back it against from the stock and thats a pretty important piece. So you wont really know how much its helping. it should for sure help though.

Ill be hammering on my saturday up to payson. i would see 230-240 up the same hills and same load running 70mph in 105-110* heat. Should have the same conditions coming back saturday evening up the worse grade on that road (6%+ for 8 miles, it progressively gets steeper). Same route the mfg use to do temp tests on new vehicles during the summer.

Oh I agree. I just saw no point to install the temp sensor for my stock cooler to turn around and install the new cooler once I had the time to do it all at once.
I do have a question though as ignorant as it may be. I live in a slightly cooler climate than you but with substantially more humidity, whereas you live in an area of much higher temps but substantially lower humidity. How much does this affect the cooling systems abilities to do their job?