Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
You ought to go back a little in here. That’s where we all got the idea to GET the 2020 cooler

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
Sorry guys... got a little anxious in my post. I see now that it has been. So has anyone yet installed the new 2020 cooler on an older Duramax. If it’s only 240 plus cost of filter at next oil change I’ll definitely be doing this soon. Anxious to see if the cooling system can handle it

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
Have any of you guys done an oil pan swap either the banana pan or the ppe pan? Ppe pan adds an additional quart which can’t hurt. But they “clam” the oil pickup is less restricted which helps oil pressure. Just wanderin?

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Have any of you guys done an oil pan swap either the banana pan or the ppe pan? Ppe pan adds an additional quart which can’t hurt. But they “clam” the oil pickup is less restricted which helps oil pressure. Just wanderin?

It’s a crock. All it will do is lighten your wallet

Sorry guys... got a little anxious in my post. I see now that it has been. So has anyone yet installed the new 2020 cooler on an older Duramax. If it’s only 240 plus cost of filter at next oil change I’ll definitely be doing this soon. Anxious to see if the cooling system can handle it

It will cost you more than 240 unless you have a hook up at a dealer. It’s going to take a year or some before parts stores get them and drop the price.

Again, Josh and I have posted we will be putting ones on. He has one but waiting on gasket, I’m waiting on a cooler (hopefully GM didn’t decide to lock them down).

The 17-19 l5p cooler is readily available and is an improvement over the 01-16 trucks as stated in here just a few posts back

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
It’s a crock. All it will do is lighten your wallet

It will cost you more than 240 unless you have a hook up at a dealer. It’s going to take a year or some before parts stores get them and drop the price.

Again, Josh and I have posted we will be putting ones on. He has one but waiting on gasket, I’m waiting on a cooler (hopefully GM didn’t decide to lock them down).

The 17-19 l5p cooler is readily available and is an improvement over the 01-16 trucks as stated in here just a few posts back

If they do decide to lock them down let me know. Sometimes I can get around that.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
So has anyone yet installed the new 2020 cooler on an older Duramax.

Yes

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 401F4DEA-7206-4CCE-AC0F-A77E6603286C.jpg
    401F4DEA-7206-4CCE-AC0F-A77E6603286C.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 2CEAF96C-279A-4B83-880B-12A496F5C0A7.jpg
    2CEAF96C-279A-4B83-880B-12A496F5C0A7.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 296

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
I work for a franchise of dealerships one of which we happen to own is a Chevrolet dealership a few hours south of me! I'll have to check and see what my cost on those three parts are and get them coming now that Josh confirmed that they fit! Thanks guys!

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
How was the install Josh?

Not bad. The only modification I had to do was remove the heat shield from the manifold and cut the lower mounting tab for it at the rear of the manifold.

The new oil cooler has different size fittings used to plug the passageways after machining than the earlier coolers had, so when I reinstalled my oil temp sensor, I had to move it to the pan instead of having it in the hot side of the oil cooler like before. I can't give an honest assessment until I figure out what size threads the new cooler has and get my temp sensor moved, but I will see what I can figure out and update this when I do.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Not bad. The only modification I had to do was remove the heat shield from the manifold and cut the lower mounting tab for it at the rear of the manifold.

The new oil cooler has different size fittings used to plug the passageways after machining than the earlier coolers had, so when I reinstalled my oil temp sensor, I had to move it to the pan instead of having it in the hot side of the oil cooler like before. I can't give an honest assessment until I figure out what size threads the new cooler has and get my temp sensor moved, but I will see what I can figure out and update this when I do.

Much appreciated! That is the only unknown I have yet is where to put the temp sensor.

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA

When you do, can you please post what the threads are on both the old and 2020 coolers?

Which manifold do you have, the LB7/LLY/LBZ/LMM or the LML? I have the LML manifold on my truck, and the heat shields are different from the stock LB7. Curious if I'll for sure run into the same clearance issue, or just maybe have the clearance issue.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
250 dollars for the cooler, adapter, and gasket through my company! Be here next week! The filter is different too though correct?
Yes. I'm not sure what filter GM plans to use, but you can see the part number on the Wix filter I used.

LB7 Lover 1994

Know Nothing
Jul 20, 2013
Greene County, In
Ironic this has been on my mind constantly since seeing this post last week. Today I got handed a ticket for an ISX15. Customer said truck derated and then shut itself down. Logged 160 counts of Oil temp above normal moderately severe level. And 2 counts for most severe level. Freeze frame shows oil temp for the most severe level at 268.8 degrees. It’s getting new cooler, cooler thermostat and an oil change now. Oil was like water when I dropped it.

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
You know if the filter is smaller or the same size/capacity?
The filter I used is very close in size externally to the old Duramax filters. I'm not sure about the element size or capacity.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
So possibly just a thread size matings difference but same filter size then? We hope...

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
When you do, can you please post what the threads are on both the old and 2020 coolers?

Which manifold do you have, the LB7/LLY/LBZ/LMM or the LML? I have the LML manifold on my truck, and the heat shields are different from the stock LB7. Curious if I'll for sure run into the same clearance issue, or just maybe have the clearance issue.

The new cooler is 20mm where the old coolers are 13/16”.

the lml manifold fits quite well. Just need a touch of clearancing on this heat shield mount (bottom rear)

AfNWqeT.jpg

Also, i don’t know if lbz and up will be an issue but lly/lb7 guys, you will need all new bolts. The 3 short ones are too long by about an 1/8” and the two long are wayyyyy longer than your stock ones. I have double stacked washers on the 3 short bolts for now to just hold it in place. You will also need a third bolt for the elbow.

4XrOS82.jpg

This thing is massive though. Pics don’t do it justice

2pyvp7N.jpg
4wJpig6.jpg
Rwn0Vw4.jpg

Thanks again josh for getting this out quick to me :D

Last edited: