"OFFICIAL" What did you do to your D-Max today?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az

5afb095803e43f0cae0f95c722793160.jpg

Here is mine this morning with an empty 18ft car trailer pulling at 70 on Robs tow tune and it's 82 degrees outside as well. Sorry for the dark picture my truck is Dracula.0% tint

That's not bad. My temps are from a loaded down 15k on the back, 6% hills in 105* weather and a built trans pushing over 300psi to the clutches. That's a tall task for a cooler

Do you have anything blocking air from hitting the cooler? Any changes to the bumper or light bar in the cooling vents?

All that's left is keeping coolant temps down on my rig. Everything else stays in a nice range.

Novak

SQUIRREL TRYN TO GET A NUT
Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
That's not bad. My temps are from a loaded down 15k on the back, 6% hills in 105* weather and a built trans pushing over 300psi to the clutches. That's a tall task for a cooler

Do you have anything blocking air from hitting the cooler? Any changes to the bumper or light bar in the cooling vents?

All that's left is keeping coolant temps down on my rig. Everything else stays in a nice range.

No blockage. I thought about making an air dam out of stiff plastic instead of using the rubber flap to keep a clean flow to the cooler. Coolant levels are topped off and the trans.
The cooler has 3K on it so far

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Si senor, am I not doing well on my numbers?

110° over ambient isn't horrible but isn't great either.. usually push for under 100° over ambient.. while in lockup

I'm usually 80-90° over ambient regardless of weight of Trailer.. in 100° heat too...with one exception stop n go traffic where I spend more time with the TC unlocked than locked
Stock cooler, aftermarket lines and thermal heat slaves next to the down pipe, do have 280psi pump spring

Curious what side tires gear ratios and TC do you have?
Tall tires, loose stall and long gears would encourage higher trans temps in non lockup

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
Your just higher then I'd expect for the temp outside. Your by no means at a bad temp though

Lol. 20k of trailer, outside temps of 118-122* depending what part of the valley I'm in. Havent checked trans temps yet but the idiot gauge on the dash holds right at 200-210. Hoping it's accurate. ....otherwise I'll be following in your footsteps.

Think an upgrade in the fan clutch would make a difference?? I know at idle the temps on everything start to creep until I get moving again.....

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Lol. 20k of trailer, outside temps of 118-122* depending what part of the valley I'm in. Havent checked trans temps yet but the idiot gauge on the dash holds right at 200-210. Hoping it's accurate. ....otherwise I'll be following in your footsteps.

Think an upgrade in the fan clutch would make a difference?? I know at idle the temps on everything start to creep until I get moving again.....

It won't hurt but in that temp, the fan ought to be on mainly just from condenser heat coming through the cooling stack. It wouldn't hurt to go with the Kennedy fan clutch or the Hayden kodiak fan clutch. It will come on much sooner and stay on a lot longer

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
It won't hurt but in that temp, the fan ought to be on mainly just from condenser heat coming through the cooling stack. It wouldn't hurt to go with the Kennedy fan clutch or the Hayden kodiak fan clutch. It will come on much sooner and stay on a lot longer

Had the AC refreshed last summer but I do notice once the trans temp gets over 200, the AC ain't blowing as cold when the truck idles. Might look into another fan clutch then. Not sure how.much of that is latent heat from the trans and how much is from me needing to pull the stack apart and blow out 10 yrs of bugs and road snot

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Had the AC refreshed last summer but I do notice once the trans temp gets over 200, the AC ain't blowing as cold when the truck idles. Might look into another fan clutch then. Not sure how.much of that is latent heat from the trans and how much is from me needing to pull the stack apart and blow out 10 yrs of bugs and road snot

More than likely the later of the two. The condenser in those temps will be putting out more heat than the trans cooler. Your high side pressure will be damn near in the 400-500psi range too if the fan isn't pulling enough air though it .

2008lmmchopper

May 28, 2017
I was in PA the last two years, working in SE Ohio now, work for sidewinder drilling, was union drilling a few years ago.
Right on I've worked with sidewinder before. Never for them I don't drill but been on pads with a sidewinder crew. I've worked in North Dakota and Wyoming. Little bit of Montana too.

2008 gmc sierra 2500 lmm

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
110° over ambient isn't horrible but isn't great either.. usually push for under 100° over ambient.. while in lockup

I'm usually 80-90° over ambient regardless of weight of Trailer.. in 100° heat too...with one exception stop n go traffic where I spend more time with the TC unlocked than locked

Stock cooler, aftermarket lines and thermal heat slaves next to the down pipe, do have 280psi pump spring

Curious what side tires gear ratios and TC do you have?

Tall tires, loose stall and long gears would encourage higher trans temps in non lockup

My gears are fairly tall. By memory I always confuse my trucks so I'll have to look again. And I was running 35's on a big wheel and offset. The tire's are 75lbs a piece and the wheel I probably another 30lbs+ so I'm turning a little extra. Once I got another 15 miles down the road it went down to 189 flat on both Trans temp and ECT.

I'm lowering my truck down right now to stock height and then some literally right now so I'm hoping for better response all around and performance.

830king

Oct 24, 2013
Central MN
Where did you find that? Please post an update with trans temps differences. I have the PPE cooler and I haven't got to put a nice and heavy 100 degree weather 5th wheel load on it yet but I know it'll perform just curious of how much it will improve in my personal towing and weather terrain.
It's a Earls 82500, got it from Summit racing. Fittings that were in the original cooler threaded right in. I never really paid much attention tobtge trans temps before.....I'm getting a limitless diesel trans and wanted to upgrade the cooler.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Novak

Jun 15, 2015
Cloud 9, IDAHO
471147f40fcf1c86788ff9cb6358815b.jpg

Installed my suspension delete kit! I'm excited to see my track times without that 300lbs dragging me down like a bitter gf at a BBQ.
Should easily shave 5 minutes off my tow truck time.

Sep 13, 2016
SLC, UT

7b6e10cd601e951a9e08d622603dca72.png
be8828fb67b758bf153b830e0678d88a.jpg

Not just what I did today but getting through this project day by day of 01-02 front end swapping my lbz and swapped out the s468 for this Forced Induction s476 and getting the body prepped for a color change and two tone on the truck and last but not least redoing a bunch of interior since the truck got broke into a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
a7810bf40296a7c9982e2d32457eb3a4.png