OBS stroker wheels on LBZ

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Hey all,
I currently have the oe aluminum 16x6.5 wheels on my 07 duramax. I run 285/75/16 KO2s and I have contemplated purchasing new wheels but I love how light the PYOs are. I don’t necessarily like their appearance but again I have put up with them due to the weight savings. I was doing a lot of research and started thinking: Alcoa manufactured powerstroke wheels until 99 and they are 16x7. They are only a couple pounds more than our oe (probably just due to being a hair thicker). Has anyone here ever thrown them on their trucks? I love the look of the bullet hole alcoas and they would looks great powder coated on my gray truck

Here’s a pic of one
79613f8790e3d59b6a74eeb7496b1610.jpg

Thanks

Reactions: FROGMAN524

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
I'm pretty sure the center hub is too large on the Ford wheels to fit the GMC/Chevy center hub properly. these wheels are hub centric so it's not just the bolt pattern that counts

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
I’ll look into the center bore that is a good point; but just to confirm, the hub bore on our truck is 112mm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Also aren’t most aftermarket wheels lug centric in that case just as a one size fits all solution? Not saying it’s right or ideal I’m just asking is all

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
That’s what I thought. I tried to do a little research on the hub centric rings and found mixed info. If I get stainless steel rings, I know they help with aligning the wheel but do they take any of the load off the lug nut studs and put it on the hub like the oe wheel? I’m assuming additional weight placed on studs would wear out bearings

*and from what I could find I believe our 03-07s have 117.1mm hub bores and the OBS strokers have 123.9mm

KyleC4

Tech
Dec 30, 2016
Bay Area
My friend put the alcoas on his 01 HD gas truck. He also wrapped them with the K02’s. I think it looks really good surprising with the chrome and his pewter gray truck.

And fwiw, when I spoke to a wheel manufacturer they told me they see less issues from when there’s 8 lug vs 5/6 lug trucks and suv’s just using lug centric rather than hub centric. I can’t remember what company but someone actually will make any size centric ring for your wheels if you give them specs.

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
That’s what I was planning on for my set up, Just bought a set of KO2s last week.

And that’s good to know, I was thinking of going to a machine shop and talking to them about making rings if they help with the stress on lugs. I’m going to try to do a little more research on them.

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
the cheep wheels I bought from America's Tires where hub centric. I would certainly look for some rings to make them fit better. I've read a few threads of others having some wheel studs break off when using a hub centric as lug centric. may be nothing but I would do it

Reactions: aaro9991

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Do those wheels use a conical lug nut? make sure you get pre-97 wheels. 97 they switched to the 8x170 bolt pattern.

if they use a conical style lug nut, they are not a 100% true hub centric wheel. the lugs are doing the supporting because the hub has a decent amount of clearance between the hub and wheel centers (like .010 or more). the only true ones i know of are the later fords that use the flat faced lug nuts, they are 100% hub centric. The hub on a truck using conical lug nuts is there to help self center the wheels to the lugs and make the lug to wheel meet better without tearing up the taper.

i wouldnt worry yourself over it being hub centric. i cant tell you how many vehicles i worked on at discount tire as a kid that were never hub centric and had no problems with lugs or balancing. The walker evans on my 02 are not hub centric and all i used that truck for was towing... with 37s.... and 600hp... never gave me an issue with lugs or studs

Reactions: 2004LB7

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Do those wheels use a conical lug nut? make sure you get pre-97 wheels. 97 they switched to the 8x170 bolt pattern.

if they use a conical style lug nut, they are not a 100% true hub centric wheel. the lugs are doing the supporting because the hub has a decent amount of clearance between the hub and wheel centers (like .010 or more). the only true ones i know of are the later fords that use the flat faced lug nuts, they are 100% hub centric. The hub on a truck using conical lug nuts is there to help self center the wheels to the lugs and make the lug to wheel meet better without tearing up the taper.

i wouldnt worry yourself over it being hub centric. i cant tell you how many vehicles i worked on at discount tire as a kid that were never hub centric and had no problems with lugs or balancing. The walker evans on my 02 are not hub centric and all i used that truck for was towing... with 37s.... and 600hp... never gave me an issue with lugs or studs

The wheels I’m looking at are off a 96 and I confirmed that conical lug nuts are used on those OBS powerstrokes. So if I understand this correctly, those wheels (as well as our PYOs) are not true hub centric since they have conical lug nuts and the lug nut studs are indeed holding the weight of the vehicle ( vertical force) as well as the horizontal force (keeping the wheel connected to the truck)?

Last edited:

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
pretty much. you can put feeler gauges between the hub and wheel from factory, true hub centric wont let you do this.

its the same reason those hub centeric ford wheels are an absolute nightmare to get off a hub in rust belts (we even had that issue here in AZ on ranch dully trucks).

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
pretty much. you can put feeler gauges between the hub and wheel from factory, true hub centric wont let you do this.

its the same reason those hub centeric ford wheels are an absolute nightmare to get off a hub in rust belts (we even had that issue here in AZ on ranch dully trucks).

That’s good to know! I appreciate the knowledge

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
the cheep wheels I bought from America's Tires where hub centric. I would certainly look for some rings to make them fit better. I've read a few threads of others having some wheel studs break off when using a hub centric as lug centric. may be nothing but I would do it

I’ll end up at least looking into taking the dimensions to a machine shop and look into stainless

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Ford hub 124.9mm. Chevy hub 116.6mm

Here is a place that makes the custom rings:

Looks like the Ford wheels will stick out about an inch farther than the PY0s. You may want to have the alignment checked to adjust scrub radius after you put the wheels on.

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Those look very nice! I will definitely go with them; thanks for all the help guys I will definitely post pictures for others who may be interested

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
instead of getting stainless hub centric rings made, have them do it in aluminum. more then suitable and far cheaper. and as Tom said, make sure the back spacing won't mess with the steering or alignment

Chevy1925

Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
The only way to adjust scrub radius is by spacing the tire/wheel in or out or the physical location of the upper or lower ball joint placed on the knuckle, toward the frame or away from it. An alignment cant fix that. ill bet the scrub on these wheels is waaaaay better than most of the aftermarket stuff people run these days.

Reactions: 2004LB7

aaro9991

Oct 1, 2019
Will do LB7 I’ll look into that, but yeah another reason I’m wanting these wheels is they’re Alcoa and we all know that they make awesome wheels. Hoping to get these next week