Nv4500 behind duramax

Jpbrienp

Feb 6, 2013
NC
Well it's been time to rebuild my Allison for a good while now. I've been holding off because I've been wanting to find a zf6 to swap instead. I've had a hard time finding a 2wd zf6 with reasonable mileage. Last night one of my friends mentioned putting a nv4500 behind it. Any body know what it would take to do this. I would regear the rear end to lower rpms at highway speed. It's a single cab and the most weight I ever carry is my 600 pound atv.

messejme

Jazzy, Me and Max
Mar 7, 2008
Branchburg NJ
I believe they make the NV4500 with different 1St gear ratios . This may also be available for the 5600 also. I hope some other member can verify this.

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
In all honesty, it would be cheaper to find a truck with a manual in it and sell yours to buy it. By the time you get the supports and bracketry to put the clutch pedal in, then change the wiring and ECM OS over to a manual, you will have spent more than the trade would cost you. As for the NV4500 holding up, you could probably find a DODGE NV4500 and bolt up a GM bellhousing to it. The GM NV4500 is teh light duty version, and not rated for anywhere NEAR teh torque that even a stock LB7 puts out. Can it be done, yes. The real question though is SHOULD it be done. In the end you would cuss the NV4500 and end up kicking yourself for swapping the ALLISON out for a NV4500.

Jpbrienp

Feb 6, 2013
NC
I hate all auto transmissions. They only reason I have a truck that has one is because I got a steal on it. I would prefer to swap a zf6 but finding one low mileage is a killer at a reasonable price. I will probably end up just dropping the coin on a reman and lose the core charge.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
I think there was just a zf on eBay when I get home I can look thru my watched items pretty sure I put it in there time see what they go for.

z79outlaw

Apr 20, 2007
Salem WI
In all honesty, it would be cheaper to find a truck with a manual in it and sell yours to buy it. By the time you get the supports and bracketry to put the clutch pedal in, then change the wiring and ECM OS over to a manual, you will have spent more than the trade would cost you. As for the NV4500 holding up, you could probably find a DODGE NV4500 and bolt up a GM bellhousing to it. The GM NV4500 is teh light duty version, and not rated for anywhere NEAR teh torque that even a stock LB7 puts out. Can it be done, yes. The real question though is SHOULD it be done. In the end you would cuss the NV4500 and end up kicking yourself for swapping the ALLISON out for a NV4500.

Aside from the first years of the nv4500 which used a higher first gear ratio and did not have a bellhousing that could be readily swapped the GM and Dodge NV4500s are very similar aside from the input shafted which if I'm not mistake is 1-1/8 vs 1-1/4 but the billet aftermarket ones are 1-3/8 anyways and can be swapped in between the late model NVs. Its been done before anyone remember probably 7-8 years ago if not.more the old blue crew cab Chevy 80s style that had a LB7 and NV4500 in it. They can hold some power there not without issues though, but in most cases there a better option than the much heavier NV5600 of arguably the same strength. GM NVs never had much of an issue losing fifth gear either due to that nut slipping off or backing off or whatever it was.

arneson

Aug 14, 2011
stoughton, wisconsin
X3? Why do u have auto? Unless your going crazy in sled pullin, auto is where its at and will be faster for sure. Not to mention u wont be bustin knuckles on the dash. Lol

Jpbrienp

Feb 6, 2013
NC
I don't know why I hate them but this was the first auto I have ever owned and unless I buy a newer body style duramax it will be the last. Just prefer manual.

Jackblack99

Oct 18, 2012
Nowhere
Always wanted to know about this too. From what I've read the NV4500 can't take the torque. Maybe the NV5600?

Nick

Thats inaccurate. We put them in all of our 1200+ hp 2.6 pulling trucks. What the NV4500 doesnt like... is beating the piss out of it in 5th gear and the stock 1 1/4" input wont take much abuse. Put a 1 3/8" billet input and do a 5th gear nut upgrade and beat the tar out of it. But to the OP. I know a guy that has a brand new 2wd zf6. Or atleast used to. I could check to see if he still has it if your interested.

Jpbrienp

Feb 6, 2013
NC
Goal for truck is nothing more than something that I enjoy driving.

Last edited:

Jpbrienp

Feb 6, 2013
NC
Thats inaccurate. We put them in all of our 1200+ hp 2.6 pulling trucks. What the NV4500 doesnt like... is beating the piss out of it in 5th gear and the stock 1 1/4" input wont take much abuse. Put a 1 3/8" billet input and do a 5th gear nut upgrade and beat the tar out of it. But to the OP. I know a guy that has a brand new 2wd zf6. Or atleast used to. I could check to see if he still has it if your interested.

Very interested. Thank you!

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
i will tell you that if you put a clutch in it that will hold power, then it will not be as enjoyable to drive

x2. Ive driven ZF6 trucks with aftermarket clutches and yeah, it was fun for a couple hours, but I would want to drive the truck off a bridge if I had to daily drive it.

ben

Jackblack99

Oct 18, 2012
Nowhere
mine wasnt terrible with the south bend 650hp dual disc i have... but I only drove it a few times and the crank broke. Ive really tossed the idea of swapping the zf6 out of mine infavor of a built auto.. just havent had much luck finding someone that wants to trade. if i cant find anyone to trade then ill just upgrade the clutch and keep the manual. My truck isnt going to be a daily driver any how. Its just a toy.

dirty_max

Jan 27, 2013
eureka il
x2. Ive driven ZF6 trucks with aftermarket clutches and yeah, it was fun for a couple hours, but I would want to drive the truck off a bridge if I had to daily drive it.

ben

heard that. my truck has taken some pretty good beatings because i get so mad at the clutch. usually after i get the trailer unhooked that i had to back into some ridiculous spot and had my brains rattled out from the damn thing jerking me around so bad