EFILive Not sure if my AutoCal will work....

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yea I know, the internet is lame nowadays. Everybody is a snowflake, scared of something. So it's all good to roll coal if you're a dump truck or semi or if you "race and need every bit of power" but if I want to do it in my truck, probably hardly ever because it's a waste of fuel, I'm going to break the eco-system and I need to be stopped... gotcha!
If I'm just a small fish in a big pond, why do you HATE me because I want a smoke tune? If a smoke tune isn't for you... then ok! I don't see how me wanting to roll coal every now and again disqualifies me from being a stand-up guy!

So can a tuner set my switch #s to whatever tune I want, or does #5 have to be the most powerful? Do stand-up guys only tune 1-5/slowest-fastest or what??

I'm definitely not being a jerk. I don't need you to tell me how to be moral because you think you're the high n mighty internet guard or something. All I asked was some simple questions what I could or couldn't do with it. I don't know much about EFI Live so I'm just asking questions! Why would I pay some random whoever like $700 for something that I don't really want or just to unlink it...? Would you really want to tune your truck like that?? That's crappy advice bro!!
None of the money came out of my pocket, has no affect on my life, but thanks for trying to accuse me of... whatever...

I didn't realize that a smoke tune was more of a hush-hush thing because the internet can't handle it. I'll just have to hook up with a non-internet type of redneck that knows what he's doing (or SHE, sorry PC *****cats).
I'm going to mail that paperweight back to the seller (because I'm honest enough without the internet trying to be my mommy) and put the $700 towards a V2. :thumb:

I guess now that everyone knows I want to roll coal and I'm not a stand-up guy, no one will vote for me for TOTM :rofl:

"Rolling Coal" is not really about wasting fuel or bad for the environment. It is the impression it creates and the subsequent laws that have been brought upon us because of it. It wasn't that long ago that diesel vehicles had zero emissions equipment. It also wasn't that long ago that early tuners and stupid people started making these smoky tunes. Now look at where it took us. Diesel vehicles now have some of the most strict emissions regulations

The mindset of many tuners has shifted from showing off the clouds of black soot to actually making real clean power.

The few who still think it is fun or neat to roll coal are the ones making it hard on the rest of us. There is no practical purposes for a smoky tune. Zero. Some are smoky because they are trying to get every last bit of power out of it. They aren't smoky because they want smoke

For any street driven truck, no more then a light haze is exceptable. On preDPF trucks a small puff before spooling is also exceptable. Any more and it creates a bad impression of the whole community. One "small fish in the pond" can poison it for the rest of us. Dont do it

zakkb787

<that’s not me...
Sep 29, 2014
Granite Falls NC
Have fun dumping money into the parts that smoke tune f*cks up too :D

It’s also guys that run or make those smoke tunes that put reputable shops at risk. Look at ATP. No more tuning. There goes a major income for Rob, a man trying to provide for his family. This isn’t your typical fart can Honda BS. You drive a diesel you have a target on yours and everyone else in the industry’s back.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
You can just get a reverse dsp5 switch, lockable switch, or one that goes through an app on your phone. Yes a tuner can set it up backwards in the tuning. Just stuff rags into your intake for a smoke tune.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yea I know, the internet is lame nowadays. Everybody is a snowflake, scared of something. So it's all good to roll coal if you're a dump truck or semi or if you "race and need every bit of power" but if I want to do it in my truck, probably hardly ever because it's a waste of fuel, I'm going to break the eco-system and I need to be stopped... gotcha!
If I'm just a small fish in a big pond, why do you HATE me because I want a smoke tune? If a smoke tune isn't for you... then ok! I don't see how me wanting to roll coal every now and again disqualifies me from being a stand-up guy!

So can a tuner set my switch #s to whatever tune I want, or does #5 have to be the most powerful? Do stand-up guys only tune 1-5/slowest-fastest or what??

I'm definitely not being a jerk. I don't need you to tell me how to be moral because you think you're the high n mighty internet guard or something. All I asked was some simple questions what I could or couldn't do with it. I don't know much about EFI Live so I'm just asking questions! Why would I pay some random whoever like $700 for something that I don't really want or just to unlink it...? Would you really want to tune your truck like that?? That's crappy advice bro!!
None of the money came out of my pocket, has no affect on my life, but thanks for trying to accuse me of... whatever...

I didn't realize that a smoke tune was more of a hush-hush thing because the internet can't handle it. I'll just have to hook up with a non-internet type of redneck that knows what he's doing (or SHE, sorry PC *****cats).
I'm going to mail that paperweight back to the seller (because I'm honest enough without the internet trying to be my mommy) and put the $700 towards a V2. :thumb:

I guess now that everyone knows I want to roll coal and I'm not a stand-up guy, no one will vote for me for TOTM :rofl:

Multi-position tuning is done based off of the tables in front of it. I.E. tune 2 is a modification to tune 1. Tune 3 is a modification of tune 2 etc.Most tuners put that as the lowest power setting. All other tunes are a modification based off of that. The tunes also tend to be progressively higher and higher in power levels as they each modify the previous tune. I know the main tuner I sell tunes through puts the highest power file on tune 1 due to the most control and ramps his to tune 5 is the lowest power output.

If you want a smoke tune I suggest you don't talk to any reputable tuner. I also wouldn't go around this page saying such. You will paint a target on yourself here as well as the diesel community as a whole. The time for spending daddy's money without consequences is gone. Diesel emissions went from zero emissions equipment to super strict in under 10 years. Passenger cars haven't even progressed that fast. This is due to people wanting dirty tunes, smoking people out, the rise in popularity etc.

036.6turbo

Jan 17, 2014

Nobody called you any names or said they hated you.

Those of us who have been modifying these trucks for a long time have seen the impact of the actions of a few, hurt the hobby / sport as a whole.

"Smoke" tunes or "Rolling Coal" tunes are a perfect example of that.

It's not that we are snowflakes, or afraid of anything, we have seen people that we have built relationships with, be targeted by the EPA and shut down for exactly these types of complaints from the tree huggers.

Rob Coddens and ATP trucks have already been mentioned as one. (although I do not believe Rob ever wrote smoke tunes)

As far as the dump trucks and semis? The new one don't smoke black. You know why? Yeah, because it's against the law. Ask those drivers how much they like having to put DEF in in their truck and dealing with plugged particulate filters. Non DEF trucks can't even haul freight in and out of California, it's been outlawed. And California is just the beginning, other states will follow, Utah is not far behind.

You have been given solid advice, if you choose not to take it, that's fine. It's a free country, but odds are, if you do find someone to write smoke tunes, that tuning will cost you some money in broken parts, especially on a LB7. The five speed Allison is not a big fan of being abused.

So fast forward a few months, you found your redneck, your huckleberry, got your coal tunes, impressed all the cute girls hanging out down at the quick stop, but your trans is in limp mode.

What will you do then?

You going to visit your huckleberry again and see if he can tune your five thousand dollar broken allison back to life? Or will you be back in here asking about your P___ code and why your truck will only go 35mph.

You're right about the internet, it can be "lame", but it has also made the world a much smaller place. Getting frosty in here with some of the most knowledgeable guys in this sport may not benefit you in the long run.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
This is what I was told. I have not written a multi-position tune myself.
Whoever told you that isn't a tuner. If you go into a file (anyone can do that by downloading the EFILive software on their website for free by the way), you will see there is a base file that has all the limiters and modifiers, and there are 4 different DSP files each with their own throttle position, torque, boost, timing, pulse width, fuel pressure, etc. The total number of tables is quite a bit less than the base file, but it is pretty much everything you need to dial in horsepower and driveability for each individual tune.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Whoever told you that isn't a tuner. If you go into a file (anyone can do that by downloading the EFILive software on their website for free by the way), you will see there is a base file that has all the limiters and modifiers, and there are 4 different DSP files each with their own throttle position, torque, boost, timing, pulse width, fuel pressure, etc. The total number of tables is quite a bit less than the base file, but it is pretty much everything you need to dial in horsepower and driveability for each individual tune.

Sadly it was told to me by a big name tuner. Wondering if that was to stop people from asking him for different tune layouts.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
So custom 1-5 tuning is possible but it's just a hassle and tuners don't like to do it?

I get it about making the industry look bad and tuners don't want a bad rep n all that... I just like to push back on the establishment n be a rebel. Try not to hate me too much.
Like I said, I'm talking every once in a blue moon type of thing. Sorry bro I'm not a teenager with -100:) offset wheels and street racing tires on my 4x4! I'm old n married... I'm not cruising the mall looking for jail bate! In my experiences, girls are usually trying to impress other girls and guys are trying to one-up eachother... I don't beat on my truck either. I'm easy on the trans, I've already been updated about the 5 speeds. I just like having the option to do something if I want to, and I specifically don't like being told I'm not allowed to do something.

I was thinking about just hooking up an aux washer fluid squiter as a trans fluid squirter... maybe that will make some smoke :roflmao:

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
So custom 1-5 tuning is possible but it's just a hassle and tuners don't like to do it?
Just get a dsp5 tune and mount the switch without the number plate. Problem solved. Or as mentioned before get a keyed switch. Or hide the switch. You’re making it harder than it needs to be. That’s what she said.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Mounting the switch without the number plate doesn't do anything, you still crank it to the right like a volume knob ... I don't want to hide it either, I just want it the way I want it. Sorry for being TOOO picky for some of yous, I just like things the way I want them.