EFILive Not sure if my AutoCal will work....

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Somebody ordered an AutoCal (with engine and trans tunes) for me for Christmas. They didn't know that they were supposed to give the seller any info about my truck so they never emailed them anything. The seller shipped the AutoCal out anyways and included a note that said to email your truck info so they can email the tunes to download...
Before Christmas came they were informed that the package was missing and the order was cancelled. Today, the Autocal showed up.
My question is, without contacting the original seller, am I going to be able to use this to tune my truck or is it a paperweight that I might as well throw in the trash?

06gmc

Loud and Heavy
Jun 24, 2017
SWMO
Well if I am reading it right there isn't gonna be any tunes loaded on the Autocal since the tuner didn't have the info they needed to tune the truck. And usually tuners lock Autocal so you'd probably have to call the original tuner and at least get it unlocked then get tuning from somewhere else. But I am just taking a stab in the dark here lol

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
But if there were no tunes loaded on yet, shouldn't it be "unlocked" still?
Isn't there any EFILive gurus on here that can override the AutoCal even if it was locked with nothing on it?

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Plug it in and see if it shows link required then it's unlocked, if not you will need a unlink/relink code to go with other tuners. Or stick with who it came from if it's already linked to them. If it is locked the unlink code will need to come from original seller you should pay them or return it anyways i'm sure they are going to charge the card it was ordered on eventually since it now shows delivered.

Last edited:

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
The AutoCal isn't linked to anyone that I know (the seller is just some random Joe Shmoe on Amazon) and I don't really want to trust their tunes on my truck. They don't care if something is wrong or my trans takes a crap, but I do! I want a reputable tuner to do custom tunes based on what I'm looking for, and maybe retune for me in the future if I change my setup.

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
So if I plug it in to the truck and it says "link required" it's unlocked with no tunes, correct?
What will it say if I plug it in and it's locked with no tunes?
Also, I have an Edge CS in my truck now on the economy tune..... should I pull the radio fuse and set that back to the stock tune before I plug in the AutoCal? I'm going to want to resell the Edge tuner once I get the EFI Live tunes....

Before Christmas came they were informed that the package was missing and the order was cancelled. Today, the Autocal showed up.
My question is, without contacting the original seller, am I going to be able to use this to tune my truck or is it a paperweight that I might as well throw in the trash?
Why don't you want to contact the original seller? Is it because you want to keep it and not pay for it because it went "missing"?

Once devices are reported as missing or stolen by the Tuner to EFILive, they are deactivated to prevent further use. The Tuner can contact EFILive for reactivation.

But if there were no tunes loaded on yet, shouldn't it be "unlocked" still?
Isn't there any EFILive gurus on here that can override the AutoCal even if it was locked with nothing on it?
AutoCal is usually linked to FlashScan before it is shipped to minimize the steps needed to flash when the tune files are sent.

Only the FlashScan that was used to create the link can be used to unlink the device. In most cases the tuner will unlink the AutoCal if you just ask.

Cheers
Cindy

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
The AutoCal isn't linked to anyone that I know (the seller is just some random Joe Shmoe on Amazon) and I don't really want to trust their tunes on my truck. They don't care if something is wrong or my trans takes a crap, but I do! I want a reputable tuner to do custom tunes based on what I'm looking for, and maybe retune for me in the future if I change my setup.
I also have a DSP5 switch and I want custom selections. I only need a fuel economy tune, trailer towing tune, and a racing tune. That's only 3 so maybe a stock tune, but I also want a "roll coal" tune. I also want the Stock tune to be on my #5 spot so if someone thinks they are going to use my truck and crank it up to have some fun they are disappointed. I just like my stuff super custom the way I like it and I like to be part of the process.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I also have a DSP5 switch and I want custom selections. I only need a fuel economy tune, trailer towing tune, and a racing tune. That's only 3 so maybe a stock tune, but I also want a "roll coal" tune. I also want the Stock tune to be on my #5 spot so if someone thinks they are going to use my truck and crank it up to have some fun they are disappointed. I just like my stuff super custom the way I like it and I like to be part of the process.

Well, 99% of your reputable tuners won't be able to fill your needs.

1) No reputable tuner writes a "smoke tune" as its bad for the industry. I personally hate people with smokey tunes just for the sake of it. It is understandable on something like a race truck or a sled puller where every single bit of power is needed for an edge but on your average truck or anything street driven driveability needs to be emphasized vs all out power. Now, I'm not saying you can't make lots of clean power you just won't find tuners writing purposely smokey tunes.

2) Typically tunes are tune #1 as the lowest power and tune #5 as the highest since each tune after #1 position is a modification to the base tune. The tuning company I've been using lately for customers runs the race file on tune #1 simply because you get the most control vs a modification table since you can actually type the values you want and don't have to jump through hoops. That said, it doesn't matter either way with a GOOD tuner.

3) Don't be a jerk, tell the seller you received his product and pay for it like you should. If you don't want his tunes you can still have them unlink it and go to a different tuner which kind of defeats the purpose of buying the autocal in the first place.

You're one small fish in a big pond, you're not going to get tuners wrapped around your finger or defeat the system. There are too many stand up guys/gals on this forum.

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Follow Sankey's advice. Pay for your autocal. Forget the smoke tune.

Last edited:

MolonLabe420

DirtyMax
Apr 6, 2018
SE PA
Yea I know, the internet is lame nowadays. Everybody is a snowflake, scared of something. So it's all good to roll coal if you're a dump truck or semi or if you "race and need every bit of power" but if I want to do it in my truck, probably hardly ever because it's a waste of fuel, I'm going to break the eco-system and I need to be stopped... gotcha!
If I'm just a small fish in a big pond, why do you HATE me because I want a smoke tune? If a smoke tune isn't for you... then ok! I don't see how me wanting to roll coal every now and again disqualifies me from being a stand-up guy!

So can a tuner set my switch #s to whatever tune I want, or does #5 have to be the most powerful? Do stand-up guys only tune 1-5/slowest-fastest or what??

I'm definitely not being a jerk. I don't need you to tell me how to be moral because you think you're the high n mighty internet guard or something. All I asked was some simple questions what I could or couldn't do with it. I don't know much about EFI Live so I'm just asking questions! Why would I pay some random whoever like $700 for something that I don't really want or just to unlink it...? Would you really want to tune your truck like that?? That's crappy advice bro!!
None of the money came out of my pocket, has no affect on my life, but thanks for trying to accuse me of... whatever...

I didn't realize that a smoke tune was more of a hush-hush thing because the internet can't handle it. I'll just have to hook up with a non-internet type of redneck that knows what he's doing (or SHE, sorry PC *****cats).
I'm going to mail that paperweight back to the seller (because I'm honest enough without the internet trying to be my mommy) and put the $700 towards a V2. :thumb:

I guess now that everyone knows I want to roll coal and I'm not a stand-up guy, no one will vote for me for TOTM :rofl:

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
Yea I know, the internet is lame nowadays. Everybody is a snowflake, scared of something. So it's all good to roll coal if you're a dump truck or semi or if you "race and need every bit of power" but if I want to do it in my truck, probably hardly ever because it's a waste of fuel, I'm going to break the eco-system and I need to be stopped... gotcha!
If I'm just a small fish in a big pond, why do you HATE me because I want a smoke tune? If a smoke tune isn't for you... then ok! I don't see how me wanting to roll coal every now and again disqualifies me from being a stand-up guy!

So can a tuner set my switch #s to whatever tune I want, or does #5 have to be the most powerful? Do stand-up guys only tune 1-5/slowest-fastest or what??

I'm definitely not being a jerk. I don't need you to tell me how to be moral because you think you're the high n mighty internet guard or something. All I asked was some simple questions what I could or couldn't do with it. I don't know much about EFI Live so I'm just asking questions! Why would I pay some random whoever like $700 for something that I don't really want or just to unlink it...? Would you really want to tune your truck like that?? That's crappy advice bro!!
None of the money came out of my pocket, has no affect on my life, but thanks for trying to accuse me of... whatever...

I didn't realize that a smoke tune was more of a hush-hush thing because the internet can't handle it. I'll just have to hook up with a non-internet type of redneck that knows what he's doing (or SHE, sorry PC *****cats).
I'm going to mail that paperweight back to the seller (because I'm honest enough without the internet trying to be my mommy) and put the $700 towards a V2. :thumb:

I guess now that everyone knows I want to roll coal and I'm not a stand-up guy, no one will vote for me for TOTM :rofl:

https://youtu.be/PZeDFwTcnCc

You are completely missing the point of what everyone told you.....by a mile

Last edited: