New to Efi Live

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
Hey guys I'm getting Longhorn to tune my truck with the dsp5 switch and everything. Pretty excited. They have great customer service and are very helpful. My question is, if I download Efi live to my laptop from the efi website can I see the data from my truck if I buy the usb adapter? It would be nice to track stuff but I don't know if that's how that works or not. Thanks guys!

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Um find another tuner... Unless I'm mistaken.

I'm not sure on the "usb adapter" your talking about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Um, your not going to get much help on ANY of the forums running longhorn tuning. They are pretty much enemy #1 to most of these guys because they still continue to sell and push smoke tunes despite all of the EPA rules we have had shoved down our throats because of coal rollers. So get your flame suit on and thicken up your skin some if you're going to mention you're going with longhorn tunes.

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
Nobody worry about who is tuning my truck. Just making a statement. To each their own. My question is mainly about how to log the performance end of it...

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
Nobody worry about who is tuning my truck. Just making a statement. To each their own. My question is mainly about how to log the performance end of it...
Well then don't worry about what we have to say. You won't get any support for using a tuner that makes it worse for all of us.

Ask longhorn if they're so great.

These guys were just trying to help you and your motor.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

02greysixer

Jun 4, 2011
North Central FL
You can't log a longhorn tuned truck. They run on unicorn farts and fairy dust. It's built into the tune. The sheer bad assness can't be transmitted into the efi scan tool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
You can't log a longhorn tuned truck. They run on unicorn farts and fairy dust. It's built into the tune. The sheer bad assness can't be transmitted into the efi scan tool.

:roflmao:

This is now in my signature. Best thing I've read all week.

Nobody worry about who is tuning my truck.

These guys were just trying to help you and your motor.

The point is that we do worry about who is tuning your truck. We're here when it brakes, and we don't want to see it broken because of a tuning choice. Longhorn Fab Shop (or Shorthorn Fag Shop as they are not so affectionately known on here) is famous for smoke tunes. If you spend some time reading the threads on this forum you will find that the good people here go out of their way to make excellent power while minimizing the smoke emitting from their tailpipes.

I'd be happy to refer you to this thread about Longhorn. Here are a few excerpts from that thread and others. I apologize in advance for the length:
image_zps62e6a359.jpg

Had to add this one.

image_zps98cbfc61.jpg
This is my favourite off the Facebook page.
shorthorn_zpsecf57406.jpg

Bunch of dumbasses!

I did it this morning, sorry I didn't get around to posting it.... Had to go to work.

20130130_084120.jpg

Last edited:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Well, this went over like a lead balloon, huh?!?!

Good luck OP. :spit:

In all seriousness, what do you receive when you buy tuning from Longhorn? Do you not receive an autocal or V2? They just flash the tune into your ECM and away you go?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Hey guys I'm getting Longhorn to tune my truck with the dsp5 switch and everything. Pretty excited. They have great customer service and are very helpful. My question is, if I download Efi live to my laptop from the efi website can I see the data from my truck if I buy the usb adapter? It would be nice to track stuff but I don't know if that's how that works or not. Thanks guys!

If the tuner just loaded in tuning, then you will not be able to datalog.

If you received an EFI unit along with tuning, then you have the tool to datalog but will need support/instructions on how to log and view.

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
Okay guys before all of you start ripping on me I have nooooooooo clue on how Efi works. This is why I'm asking. I thought Efi was just a product distributed by dealers on a tool that they install on your truck. I did not realize that the specific person chose the tunes and this and that. I just figured instead of me flashing my computer id get someone to do it for me and I have purchased bolt on parts from them before and figured I'd give them the business because they seemed to be nice people. I don't want to hurt my truck, thus the reason to this post is NEW TO EFI not just for the logging questions but hoping you guys could steer me in the right direction. Which everyone has told me not to go with Longhorn. Okay. Then instead of sending me pictures of blown up diesels recommend something for a fellow duramaxer. Thanks idahorob for your insight too.

frankenstien

May 25, 2015
Fairbanks,Alaska
if you're new to it, and looking for advice, id listen, i have no expierence with longhorn, but from what ive seen, they are not so great.

I dont know what kind of truck you have, but for all around great customer service and quality tunes, i would recommend ATP Trucks and Idaho Rob, nothing but awesome from those guys for my LLY

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
I have nooooooooo clue on how Efi works. This is why I'm asking. I thought Efi was just a product distributed by dealers on a tool that they install on your truck.

There are several methods of getting an EFI Live tune on your truck. Unlike other "tuners" (Edge, Hypertech, etc.), EFI Live is a software program that allows the tuner (taking about a person/profession this time) to alter the tables and parameters that define how your engine runs. This becomes known as a "tune".

Different tuners use different tuning techniques and strategies to get the result you want for your truck. As such, no two EFI Live tunes are the same. That is why people are so adamant that you choose a tune provider that will give you what you want (if that's a smoke tune - hey, it's a free country, but don't expect to be popular on here).

Since EFI Live is just software, there are several methods of getting the desired tune onto your truck. The first method (and sometimes cheaper, depending on your tuner of choice) is to have the tune installed on your vehicle at the tuner's shop. The tuner will flash the tune onto your truck using the EFI Live software and a V2 Scan/Tune tool. This is probably the method Longhorn was planning on using.

Another method is remote flashing of your vehicle. This is accomplished with the EFI Live AutoCal device. The AutoCal is a smaller device that the tuner provides and you, the end user, use to actually flash the provided tune. The AutoCal can also be used to monitor engine parameters as well as to read and clear codes. Quoting from EFI Live's website: "The end user gains access to the tune, and the ability to data log/read clear codes, but the Tuner retains software permissions."

The third option is to purchase your own V2 Scan/Tune tool. People who choose to do this often want the enhanced scanning capabilities the V2 offers. The V2 can be used in conjunction with a license to create your own tune, or a tuner can provide a tune that you will flash in, just like with the AutoCal. This is the most expensive option, as the V2 is somewhat spendy on its own.

As far as recommending a good tuner, all I can say is to read reviews and do your research. Most people here post their tuner in their signature, which would indicate they are happy with the results they received.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
We said pick a new tuner and you said don't worry about who's tuning it. How exactly did you think that was going to go over?

Pick anyone from the vendors section, they'll take care of you. You can install the dsp switch yourself or use an edge insight to change tunes. Or get Bens Bluetooth switch.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

laser45v

Aug 1, 2014
I just said don't worry about the tune because my question was mainly referring to the logging part. I will go with another tuner. Thanks everyone who has given me positive insight. Bluetooth sounds cool.

Jan 28, 2015
Ohio
I disagree with most of these posts. I had Manfred tune my lly and had no problems! Mark
From Danville is better though. Just depends on what you want and what your
Goals are. Manfred messes with the defuel to much. His tunes are decent besides the smoke and lope. I changed that out for his comp tune.