New Relase! DTS Intercooler

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
I received mine yesterday :D It looks very nice, looking forward to getting it installed and saying bye to a substantial boost leak. :thumb:

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Here is a pic of them together.

I had to cut the elbow off the outlet, I'm not sure if there are 2 versions of I/C, I know there are 2 LB7 intake types. My outlet up pipe isn't stock either.

I'm very pleased with the purchase, Level 3 feels like 6 now with no boost leak :D

These should be packaged better for shipping though. The top ears on mine were bent and it would be a drag to receive a piece of art like this FUBARed.

Attachments

• DSCN5012.JPG
    DSCN5012.JPG
    195.3 KB · Views: 145

05LLY duramax

boostin
Apr 5, 2012
Are all aftermarket intercoolers for the duramax the same thickness and size? Sorry for the noob question :thumb:

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I don't know but without significant mods you aren't going to get much more in there than this DTS.

Sledhead,

Have you done much towing with the new DTS intercooler? If so how do you like it?
Did you noticed any loss in spool up due to its larger size which would take more air to fill it? Or did it make it more responsive?

Anybody else out there running one of these on their tow or everyday vehicle? I suspect my stock one is leaking being I'm only hitting 25lbs of boost on my LB7.

Thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions,
Yellowchevy

baggedLB7

Goer
May 1, 2011
Utah
^^^ X2
I am intrested in the results also I noticed mine has been a little slugish the last week and layed into it yesterday and I down about 10-13 psi. I havent checked it yet though.

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
Mine has worked really well. Mine is a daily driver and weekend tow on occasion. Didn't notice any difference in spool-up, but both cruising and hard acceleration EGT's are down.

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
About 80-degrees at cruise (70mph) empty, 150ish at wide open throttle. Around 100-degree drop cruising with 12k in tow

That's good to know, glad to know it's working well for daily driving and towing.:thumb:
JDub - Your spool up didn't decrease at all? Did spool up increase at all?

Anybody else out there have a DTS intercooler that has anything to report?

Yellowchevy

JDub

Aug 9, 2009
Hooper, Utah
My truck tows much better since the switch, especially with the addition of the 64mm DTS turbo. I can go just about as fast as I want up any grade now...no more staring at an EGT gauge

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
My truck tows much better since the switch, especially with the addition of the 64mm DTS turbo. I can go just about as fast as I want up any grade now...no more staring at an EGT gauge

With my 366 I have to let off of it when climbing a hill or drop into 4th otherwise it get starts getting hot.

Yellowchevy

Sledhead

Mountain Pass Machine
Nov 29, 2008
BC
Sledhead,

Have you done much towing with the new DTS intercooler? If so how do you like it?
Did you noticed any loss in spool up due to its larger size which would take more air to fill it? Or did it make it more responsive?
Yellowchevy

I have towed my usual 7 -8K on a secondary hwy with hairpins and steep passing lanes. EGT's are down about 100* but that is going from memory as I drove about 8 months with a leaker.

It is slightly less responsive down low while boost builds resulting in some smoke. I'll have to get it tuned out or tackle it myself someday.

Overall I'm satisfied and very fortunate it wasn't damaged worse in shipping. The packing for mine was weak. I'd also like to know why I had to mod it and cut off the flange?

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
I have towed my usual 7 -8K on a secondary hwy with hairpins and steep passing lanes. EGT's are down about 100* but that is going from memory as I drove about 8 months with a leaker.

It is slightly less responsive down low while boost builds resulting in some smoke. I'll have to get it tuned out or tackle it myself someday.

Overall I'm satisfied and very fortunate it wasn't damaged worse in shipping. The packing for mine was weak. I'd also like to know why I had to mod it and cut off the flange?

Thanks for the response :thumb:.

I really don't want to loose any spool up/responsiveness but I also don't want a leaking intercooler:eek:.

I don't know if mine is leaking for sure, I need to do a pressure test. I'm just doing some research so that if it is leaking I'll have an idea of what to look for.

Did you ever look at a Banks inter cooler before you bought the DTS? Just curious.

We'll see, I've got a spare LB7 intercooler so I may look at building my own; but I don't know if I'll have much time.

Yellowchevy

Headless_Horseman

Street Sleeper
Sep 27, 2011
Stn Mtn. Ga/Iraq
I had the Banks installed by DTS about 3 months or so before they released their own intercooler. After seeing theirs in person I would almost go through the headache of replacing my Banks with the DTS intercooler. :D