New or Re-Build Steering Box

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
My steering box is leaking. It has 287,000 miles on it, should I get a re-build kit for mine and replace all the seals? Or am I better off to just get a parts store replacement with a lifetime warranty. I have searched and searched and there dosent seem to be a good solution. Some even say replace it with a low mileage junkyard oem style. Do any of you have any personal experience with this before I start shelling out money. I wanna do this once and be done.

Last edited:

darkness

Jul 15, 2009
vegas
I put a PSC pump on my ‘07. While I didn’t have it long it was fine while I did. Sorry probably not much help lol.

OleBlackyLBZ

May 22, 2020
I just didn't know of there were other parts in there that would be worn out besides the seals with this many miles on it. If so I'd rather just replace the whole pump... if it's generally just the seals that go bad I'd like to try and re-build mine.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
the vanes and body will wear over time. if the bushing/bearing is gone in the front and its leaking there, seals wont fix it.

ive heard tell that PSC has upped their game on their parts. i dont know if thats true but if so, id use one of their pumps. In your position, id buy new.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Ive got a PSC pump and really like it. I would recommend to anyone. I put their XD steering box in also and wont go back to regular OEM again. PSC has awesome products.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
well if its the steering box, then lets go down a different road lol

if the box is still tight, reseal it. its a bitch to find a good tight box. i resealed my napa reman not long before i sold it. the kit didnt come with exactly the right seals but there was enough in there to seal up what it needed and put new sealing rings inside. @gmduramax would have to answer if its till dry or not.

Nate’s Dmax

Dec 11, 2020
Yes you can tighten it up some. That PSC box is expensive i know but so far i have been very happy with it. I really think with the proper research you could figure out which gearbox they use to make that box. I’m not convinced they are custom making it but maybe they are.

gmduramax

Shits broke
Jun 12, 2008
Nor cal
well if its the steering box, then lets go down a different road lol

if the box is still tight, reseal it. its a bitch to find a good tight box. i resealed my napa reman not long before i sold it. the kit didnt come with exactly the right seals but there was enough in there to seal up what it needed and put new sealing rings inside. @gmduramax would have to answer if its till dry or not.
No leaks but it has loosened a bit, nothing anyone would notice but it does have play now. I threw a red head on my moms LML and it is tightttt no issue so far but she doesn’t drive much

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
i have a friend who installed a psc box. has 30k plus on it. tight as can be on a lb7 with 12 wides at that. works great and so far it seems to be worth the money

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
We only use and install PSC boxes in these trucks. The PSC boxes seem to hold up the best in terms of tightness and the steering effort feels reduced compared to an OEM box.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
84400715 bought this from Rock Auto for $290ish last month and installed it on an 08 dually.