New guy with van addiction

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Winter hit and I took a serious break. I finished my crossmember and carrier bearing mount and gave them to a local shop to powdercoat.

I also had a 2 pc driveshaft shortened and balanced.

After a lot of studying and a couple of failed attempts, I finally got my transmission cooler lines routed.

Starting at the trans in -10 AN.

I wanted to keep the tie-in with the radiator to keep temps up in the winter. I teed the -10 into -6 towards the radiator and -8 to a stand alone cooler.

From the radiator, I go to an auxiliary cooler.

From there, the lines combine on the return side.

Definite advantages to living in the town where Surplus Center (www.surpluscenter.com) located...

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
Glad to see you back on it...I took 6 weeks off on mine but dug back into it this weekend!
That cooler set up should work well for you with your seasonal extremes.

artementy

Dec 8, 2014
Why use high pressure hydraulic hoses for the transmission cooler lines? GM does it with quick connects and C-clips.

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
The hoses are "off the shelf" from Surplus Center. I can buy assembled hoses from them for less than the cost of AN fittings. I definitely understand that they are overkill, but I'm only in them for about $12 each.

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
If it's full floating it will be a 70S(10.5" ring gear), it doesn't have the extra rib structure to be a 70HD (10.75" ring gear)

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
It's a full-floater. So is that automatically a 10.5"?
Well, I've heard that there was some full floating 9.75" rears out there(in gas powered express/savanas) but I've yet to see/hear of one in a 3500 duramax...you can look at your RPO label on the passenger door jam and check the codes that start with an "H" and that should tell the tale. The casting bulge just above the pinion looks just like every D70 I've seen.

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
okay...that's a different story...there's a good chance that it is a D60 then...my bust...I thought you had a 3500 donor. You can for sure tell by pulling the cover and getting the part number off the ring gear...dana 50/60/70 all share a common diff cover..

JoeyD

WTF
Apr 21, 2008
All the duramax vans had the Dana 70s up until they switched back to the old 14bolt 10.5. I forget the year but maybe 12 or 13

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Moved over to work on brakes. The driver's side leaked all over the e-brake pads. The passenger side e-brake lever was frozen engaged. Replaced everything from the backing plates out. New calipers on the way to replace the rotted ones...

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
I've got one of their older versions on my motorhome trans...they are beastly..

Attachments

• P3270011.JPG
    P3270011.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 50

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
Brooks (the engineers) and I email occasionally, he's been working other stuff and getting his shop set up to get back on this over the winter, as of last week he said he hadn't made any further progress on the van.