New guy with van addiction

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
Nice project..
I think I am one of few people that have done substantial towing with a dmax/4L85E setup, with more than twice the weight you're looking at.. upwards of 19,000lb trailer..
Eventually broke the OEM TCC and spun the intermediate sprag clutch with 200,000+ mile on them.

Also Allison came with two sizes of yokes 1410 01-06 and 1480 07-current
I'm guessing the van as 1410 with the ~250hp rating from factory

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
I did a lot of thinking about building the 4L85E. Basically it came down to two things...1) Price. I figured if I could get the Allison pieces for $2000, I'm ahead of the cost of a built 4-speed. 2) Double OD. Without it, I'm turning over 2200 rpms on the highway...a 25% increase above projected Allison numbers. Right now I'm $640 for the trans, $125 for the TCM, $200 for the column/gauges and $250 for a donor harness...$1215 (plus tax). Thanks for your insights, though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Here is my current plan:

Cut 06 body to cut-away shape for better access.
Clean frame.
Modify floor for Allison.
Build 4" exhaust system.
Remove cab.
Stud block and install new head gaskets.
Replace injectors.
Delete EGR piping.
Rebuild turbo.
Remove 2002 chassis from body.
Modify 2002 floor.
Drop body on 2500 frame.
Finish.

Anything else I should do while I have complete access? Glow plugs?

Basically, I'd like to have the Allison running/driving in the donor '06 before dropping the conversion van body on it.

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
So after a short delay, I now have the complete underhood harness (thumbs up to Nordstrom's in Garretson, SD) and the TCM (Carney's in Ames, IA). Progress is slowly moving forward.

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Well, summer's over and I can finally get back to the van project. I figured I'd start with the steering column to ease into the work.

The donor van was no-cruise/non-tilt. I bought a donor 2006 tilt/cruise column as well as a 2010 Tapshift column.

I swapped the Tapshift gear selector and detent plate into the tilt column and installed a new key cylinder keyed to my 2002 pattern. Everything went pretty straightforward, although I had to drill out the Torx screw for the lever on the 2006 column.

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
New problem...I found a thread on swapping a Kodiak cluster into a van to add a tach http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/#/topics/858769

I went to car-part.com and they show that the standard Silverado cluster interchanges. I picked up a truck cluster and started the swap since my column is out of the way. Short version, it's at least an inch wider. Not sure where I missed the boat here...

Any thoughts?

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
Well, summer's over and I can finally get back to the van project. I figured I'd start with the steering column to ease into the work.

I swapped the Tapshift gear selector and detent plate into the tilt column and installed a new key cylinder keyed to my 2002 pattern. Everything went pretty straightforward, although I had to drill out the Torx screw for the lever on the 2006 column.
I pulled the gear lever and detent plate off my pickup donor column, as well as the steering wheel and clockspring, I'm curious if they will all swap over to my 2000 van column...? Those torx screws are in there...I broke two bits before getting one of them out!

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
New problem...I found a thread on swapping a Kodiak cluster into a van to add a tach http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/#/topics/858769

I went to car-part.com and they show that the standard Silverado cluster interchanges. I picked up a truck cluster and started the swap since my column is out of the way. Short version, it's at least an inch wider. Not sure where I missed the boat here...

Any thoughts?
I think the Kodiak cluster only swaps with the 03 and up dash. I'm looking at the possibility of using the 06 pickup cluster and modifying the lens from the 2000 van cluster to make it fit the dash interface...it is a bit wider but I think it's doable..

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
So at this point, I'm tempted to put the factory van cluster back in. I found a CAN BUS scanner that claims to display the current gear, regardless of being in D or M. Everything else I wanted to see can be monitored via a BY OBDII scanner. Time to put it up on the lift for some transmission swapping...

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
I've considered the same, but looking closely at the Edge Insight CTS, I like that you can add sensors and you can use it for a back up camera display. I'd sure like to find a way to get to all the DIC data though..

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Got some good work done on the van today. Driveshaft is out. Surprisingly, the exhaust unbolted as well, so saves me quite a bit of time vs cutting.

Got the starter out. Wow, that sucks. 30" extension bar is the best tool you can have. Trying figure whether it's better to install a new one when everything goes back together...

Started getting ready to pull the trans. All of the converter bolts are out. Cooler lines are disconnected. Everything is unplugged.

Trying to figure out what to do with this mess. I assume this protects the lift pump?

Small hiccup...I don't have the flexplate housing for the Allison. I'll have to get one coming tomorrow.

Quick question...my Allison came "bare". What should be on the side of the trans at the shifter selector? The 4L85E has this going on.

Sorry, long post.

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
Quick question...my Allison came "bare". What should be on the side of the trans at the shifter selector?
Nothing; the 6sp Allison was redesigned with all of that inside it. You will need the 4th gen allison TCM and wiring harness from it to the transmission.

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
Trying to figure out what to do with this mess. I assume this protects the lift pump?

Sorry, long post.
That's the Fuel Cooler, cools the injector return fuel (it gets pretty hot being cranked up to 20,000psi). I plan to relocate mine to the front side of the fuel tank (where all the evap stuff is for the gas engines). But if you're staying 2wd it can probably stay were it is.