New guy with van addiction

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Out with the old...

4L85E is out with minimal issues. Unbelievably good access around the bellhousing.

A rough eyeball says the dipstick tube is 8.25" from the face of the 4 speed. Same eyeball says the dipstick tube is 11.5" from the face of the Allison. I think I can make up most of the difference if I get rid of the EGR cooler. It's leaking, so I was planning for it anyway.

Anyone know how far the Allison dipstick extends into the pan? I could go off the manual, but I hear that Allison's are pretty sensitive to fill level...

Len, I ordered the shift cable bracket from a local GM dealer.

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
I agree, get rid of all the egr related stuff, cut the extension off the passenger up pipe and cap it (I'm going to install my egt probe there).

Attachments

• P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 54

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
https://www.xtremediesel.com/edge-p...jgbaoaqy7iirlk9qg4icwei4xshuzqzsaavfcealw_wcb
it gives you pretty much everything that you need...the only missing stuff would be the DIC specific stuff(oil change %, language and unit settings, etc...) but, none of the early duramax vans had that anyways, the only way to get that would be to use the truck or later van cluster.

Found the install manual, looks like it does more than I thought..
https://edgeproducts.com/installation_guides/InsightCTS2_D10012700_REV00.pdf

Last edited:

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
I had the chance to slide the Allison in place for a trial fit yesterday. It's a lot closer than I thought it would be. There's a crossbrace under the floor that the case vent hits, but it's very close.

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Len, I looked at the factory body spacers. Looks like they're iron/steel. I wonder if nylon will hold up. Also, I think you've talked me into the Insight CTS2.

I bought LB7-style PPE up-pipes today. $297 plus shipping from Diesel Power Products.

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
Len, I looked at the factory body spacers. Looks like they're iron/steel. I wonder if nylon will hold up. Also, I think you've talked me into the Insight CTS2.

I bought LB7-style PPE up-pipes today. $297 plus shipping from Diesel Power Products.
Body mounts are rubber injected/molded assy very similar in makeup to a motor mount. All the guys doing Duraburb conversions are using nylon body lift spacers (tapered from front to rear to get rid of the nose down stance) with no issues. I'm thinking something in the 1.5" range will make life a lot easier. The Allison is a big heat source so you're going to want some stand off/air space above it to keep the floor from getting hot, the more air space above it also helps keep the trans cool..
PPE makes nice stuff...I'm just to cheap to spend the money.

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
The rubber around my body spacers is pretty beat, so i may just be seeing the steel "sleeve"...

The console in my conversion van is roughly 12 x 16. Plan is to cut the floor where that sits and build a riser 2" tall for that to sit on. I'll likely extend the riser towards the dash, but I need to put the donor doghouse back together so I can get good measurements for the HVAC duct that exits at the bottom of the doghouse.

That should give me adequate space around the Allison. More to come...

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
The rubber around my body spacers is pretty beat, so i may just be seeing the steel "sleeve"...

The console in my conversion van is roughly 12 x 16. Plan is to cut the floor where that sits and build a riser 2" tall for that to sit on. I'll likely extend the riser towards the dash, but I need to put the donor doghouse back together so I can get good measurements for the HVAC duct that exits at the bottom of the doghouse.

That should give me adequate space around the Allison. More to come...
Yeah, I haven't decided how much I want to cut out of my donor yet. After I mock it up with the body lift I'll make that decision.
I spent the weekend pulling the cab loose on the cutaway van so that I could get to all the van specific duramax stuff (and got most of that swapped on to my new engine) and I also got a start on the front radius arms for the new chassis. Also got the front inner fender structure cut off the cutaway that will be needed for the front clip swap/update.

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
The Allison is mocked in place. I'll need to re-route the fuel lines, but everything else looks pretty good.

Surprisingly, the Allison is actually several inches shorter that the 4L85E.

I cut a lot less of the floor than I expected.

My plan is to fab a temporary cross member (I forgot to order a trans mount) and get the thing back on the ground to measure for a driveshaft.

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
Temporary mount to hold the Allison via the original cross member. It's tipped back about 2-3 degrees.

Not sure what to do about the fuel lines. The van has a lift pump. I think it's fairly low pressure, but haven't found any specs. There's another thread on here that I'm reading about building your own fuel lines with pieces from Earl's.

With the trans secured, I was able to set the van back down on all fours and get a driveshaft measurement.

View from above...

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
I was working my cross member today as well, I chopped out the entire raised center section and dropped the trans down, I'm increasing the drive train (downward angle) to 7dg, this will help my drive line angles and give me some more breathing room to the floor. Still a bit of work to do on it..

Attachments

• P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 52
  • P1010006.jpg
    P1010006.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 50
  • P1010007.jpg
    P1010007.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 47
  • P1010009.jpg
    P1010009.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 50

the_engineers

Dec 24, 2016
Lincoln, NE
I think I'm going to fab a new one from tubing. If I can get 2 x 3.50 x .188, that would be perfect.

If not, I'll get 2 x 3. I may add 1/4" plates front/back to help index the fuel cooler/filter set-up.

Have you looked at the shifter cable alignment? Looks like the bracket might be VERY close to the cross member...

LCAC_Man

Aug 27, 2017
If I had realized the factory cross member was dual layered and had that nasty black wax/paint between the layers I would have started from scratch as well, by the time I figured it out I was already invested in modifying it...
Haven't looked at the shifter cable/mount yet. I've got to sort out steering and a track bar mount for the front axle.

ShopSpecialties

Jun 4, 2008
Grass Range, Montana
That pump is actually just a prime pump not a lift pump. It is ECM controlled to only run for a set amount of time with key on - engine off. It shuts off when engine is running. If you run a truck tune the programming is not there for it and will not run at all. The factory fuel cooler is useless I would just eliminate it and run a cooler up front or remote unit with fans that would actually be beneficial.