New Engine Stand

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Well after many overcomplicated blueprints and some help from Dmaxlover I came up with a simple design. Let me know what you think:D

Some mock up pics

IMG_20110420_231318.jpg

IMG_20110420_231301.jpg

Here she is with my motor on it getting ready for autopsy

IMG_20110423_143433.jpg

IMG_20110423_143415.jpg

bullfrogjohnson

Big Girl!
Nov 20, 2006
Locust, NC
Looks good. No way to turn the motor over?

I thought about doing that but after talking with John about his stand and the gear reduction needed to spin the motor over easy I decided that it would be easier to build a stand that I can break loose and torque all the bolts and strip the motor down then transfer the short block over to a regular engine stand to remove the pistons, rods and crank. For assembly I will build the short block on a regular stand then move it to this stand so that I can install the rear cover and oil pans before I mess with the heads and accessory stuff. I never liked building and entire engine with the bottom exposed and then having to hang the motor from a cherry picker to install the rear cover and pans and then finding a way to torque the cam,crank and flywheel bolts.

quadracer37

Mar 31, 2009
northern, IL
i built mine the same way! works great! then i built a square frame around what you have there, with some braces and castors. pretty handy to be able to wheel it around the shop!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Looks good Travis.:thumb:
Only thing I would add is some angle iron between the two horizontal pieces of square tubing to keep them from spreading and make a drip tray to fit.

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
care to share the exact dimensions? :D

I just bought a conventional one. I like yours too for the reasons you mentioned... torquing stuff down. :thumb:

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
I try to search pics of stand like op, but capable to turn engine in it. I remember of seeing pics of stand like that in the past, but cant find thread anymore.

Mika

Bastardo Finlandias
Oct 25, 2008
Finland
I was thinking of stand like Socal´s picture in middle. It looks like engine can turn in it.
I have very strong self made engine stand I have used with duramax, but tired of tear half of engine apart before it can be installed in stand.
I see in other posts links that stands connect to engine just in one side, how does engine mounts short threads handle weight if engine is with all equipments and bolted in stand from one side only? If it will be ok, it is easy to me to make new adapter for old stand, but I believe it would be wiser to make stand that connects to engine in both sides?
Hope somebody understand what I try to say:roflmao: