New Drop-in VGT for "Best bang for your buck!"

TowU4Free

#SecretSquirrel
Aug 27, 2011
The vanes are just a different design to give more flexibility on high horsepower setups and twins, Hopefully Mark can chime in and answer on the wheel upgrade I'm not sure about that part .

MarkBroviak

DMax Junkie
May 25, 2008
Danville Indiana
The vanes are just a different design to give more flexibility on high horsepower setups and twins, Hopefully Mark can chime in and answer on the wheel upgrade I'm not sure about that part .

Yes, Chris is exactly right on this. The wheel upgrade basically turns this turbo into my old DP Billet68mm Stg2 for a cheaper price since I am not having to machine a stock cover to fit this wheel. My new turbo will be taking the place of my old 68mm stg2 but will be called the Stg2R because of the upgrades. The high flow vanes are more for top end setups that need a little more tuneability out of the vanes themselves. Not something that 90% of the guys out there actually need. Hope that helps guys!

yellowchevy

Sep 9, 2010
Louisburg, KS for now
You can it's been done you'll just have to use fleece performance turbo brake controller if they still offer it or you could find a used one search vgt lb7 on YouTube unless the vid has been removed I'll see if I can locate it and post if i can figure out how to on this iPad

I'm aware fleece use to make the controller. I've looked for one but no luck, I found one but the guy quite messaging me. Fleece also doesn't make them any more.

I could swap out the stuff to make it work but it's not worth it for the cost.

Sorry for the off topic Mark

Yellowchevy

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Yes, Chris is exactly right on this. The wheel upgrade basically turns this turbo into my old DP Billet68mm Stg2 for a cheaper price since I am not having to machine a stock cover to fit this wheel. My new turbo will be taking the place of my old 68mm stg2 but will be called the Stg2R because of the upgrades. The high flow vanes are more for top end setups that need a little more tuneability out of the vanes themselves. Not something that 90% of the guys out there actually need. Hope that helps guys!

With your 65mm BMW paired with an S480 would you recommend the high flow or are they not necessary? Looking to keep drive pressure and heat as low as possible while still having a fairly fast spool and be able to DD and tow without high EGT issues.
I'm going to be getting one of these very soon so want to have my ducks in a row when I call.

It was 29°F this morning and it was the first time the truck has gone into high idle since the install.

Danville 3794 BMW stg2. elevated idle 1000 rpm: http://youtu.be/dL0pqvJXwDQ

My wife and neighbors are going to hate me.:D

Last edited:

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
LBZ-I'd do the 68mm Stg2R in that situation for best performance and drivability!
Ok.
Hadn't considered it before. My Wehrli twin kit was built for a 4094 so I guess it would work.
BTW I was the one asking about Levi's turbo blanket on Johnny's 68mm install status on FB. I will call you on Monday.

minerigger

Dec 24, 2013
Casper, WY
Well my turbo fun has to wait. Had to pull the trans today. Evan was a huge help. Looks like I'm either going to get my 58 restalled or get a different converter

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Ended up sticking with the 3794. Will see how she does twinned with the S480.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I think it's going to be like a stock setup with a little more top end and hopefully lower egt's. Will know in a months or so when I get the engine back and in the truck.

snowman

Evil Diesel Performance
Aug 30, 2010
Manitoba Canada
So i finally got the truck on the dyno, with the fueling upgrades and bolt ons it needed. It laid down 722hp 1296ft/lbs!!!! super stoked! Boost was 38psi, EGT 950*F, Drive pressure 65psi, Rail pressure held 30,000psi. This is with just bolt ons, homemade egr delete, with high flow intake and y-bridge, pro-fab up-pipes, hotside pipe, and the usually stuff. This thing absolutely rips, love this turbo!!!! Thanks Mark!

Ill post dyno sheets asap! :woott: