New Dmax project

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
After some thought, I have decided a duramax would be a good replacement motor for my 26 ft wellcraft nova.

Goal is 500hp motor that will turn 4500 rpms all day long. I was thinking rods, main studs, head studs, and some of Guy's head work. All fed by a stock turbo or cheetah NO dual cp3's. This boat will be used in the Gulf of Mexico so it needs to be pretty reliable, hence the reason for using only one cp3.

Now I dont know how to deal with the stern drive issues. The boat has a Alpha one in it now, any boat guys in here?:rofl: I need to do some reading but I believe the Bravo one is a more beefy drive.

Any thoughts?

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Awsome man! Im all for it! I'm by far not a boat expert, but my buddies 19' Cobalt w/ 4.3 chev V-6 has an Alpha 1 in it, and some 350ci boats do aswell but the alpha is a smallish and older unit. For D-max power i would look heavily at a Bravo or a Bravo II with the twin contra-rotating props cause there much beefier units and the twin props will give better performance and efficiancy IMO. I have seen most of these on bigger BBC powered boats so that seems about right for a Duramax. Theres allways Mercruiser Racing out drives too :rofl:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I knew the alpha one wouldnt hold up. The boat has a 400hp SBC in it now. It has no go:( old and beat.

Malibu Going to use a prop

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Okay after looking on that I may have to go for two dmax's pumping a little less tq for the puny gasser drives:D. To achieve what I am after. I need to talk to Dan@ PPE, and do some reading on my own.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I looked at the penta drives. They are pretty neat, but the mercury racing drysump six takes the cake as far as looks.

Stock rods at 500hp at sea, nah

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I think with tuning I can limit the tq while still making some big hp, still I wouldnt chance having stock rods, anyway its looking a lot easier to just repower with a 1200sci, but what fun would that be?:confused:

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
I thought you meant something like two forward gears, which is done, but NOT what I am doing.

And I wont being shifting in and out of gear at full throttle:rofl:

So what are you saying?

malibu795

misspeelleerr
Apr 28, 2007
in the buckeye state
http://zf-marine.com/ZFR/Transmissions/index.cfm?DS=Description&GN=ZF_280-1
option^^^

second thought cheap whis you could put a built th400 behind the dmax custom shaft to the stern drive give you 3 forward gears and reverse with a manual gear shifting. hell get a PG built....

unless you are running a vairabel pitch propeller you need a transsmission to change the direction of the pro for forward or backwards.