New Dmax project

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Im more worried about injecting the fuel in time, and having an ECM or ECM/FICM combo that is happy at that speed. Valve springs and cam will be addressed. A drive shower is no problem.

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
I know it is not what you are looking at, but the Berkley Jet drives can handle everything a Dmax could throw at it. They love torque and have no HP limit with the stainless internals. In my youth, I helped build and maintain a Blown nitro racer jet boat with one of these. Of all the problems and parts we dealt with, the pump never ever let us down.

You would probably have to add a doubler gear box to increase the shaft speed.

But, what do I know...

03bigdmax

May 13, 2009
find a good used #6 or nxt and be done with it!!!! dont screw around with little bravo drives those are for 350 mercs and 496's!!! youll be wasting alot of time and mooney if you wanna put a puny bravo on there.. trust me im an avid boater and have a 2005 eliminator daytona with twin 800hp merc motors. even the most badass bravo XR(which is the best bravo) that has the craziest internals you can buy cant even handle a high hp big blocks torque and breaks once a season. dont mess around and do it right the first time and never look bad and have a great peice of mind... sorry for the rant..

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
find a good used #6 or nxt and be done with it!!!! dont screw around with little bravo drives those are for 350 mercs and 496's!!! youll be wasting alot of time and mooney if you wanna put a puny bravo on there.. trust me im an avid boater and have a 2005 eliminator daytona with twin 800hp merc motors. even the most badass bravo XR(which is the best bravo) that has the craziest internals you can buy cant even handle a high hp big blocks torque and breaks once a season. dont mess around and do it right the first time and never look bad and have a great peice of mind... sorry for the rant..

We are on the same page bro!

dmaxx3500

Jul 26, 2009
chicago
After some thought, I have decided a duramax would be a good replacement motor for my 26 ft wellcraft nova.

Goal is 500hp motor that will turn 4500 rpms all day long. I was thinking rods, main studs, head studs, and some of Guy's head work. All fed by a stock turbo or cheetah NO dual cp3's. This boat will be used in the Gulf of Mexico so it needs to be pretty reliable, hence the reason for using only one cp3.

Now I dont know how to deal with the stern drive issues. The boat has a Alpha one in it now, any boat guys in here?:rofl: I need to do some reading but I believe the Bravo one is a more beefy drive.

Any thoughts?

you will blow apart the alpha drive the first time out,,bravo xr at the least, #3-4 speedmaster is way better

dmaxx3500

Jul 26, 2009
chicago
you need to go closed cooling or you will need head gaskets and corroeded heads sooner then later,,i can take your boat in trade for my 35' cigarette offshore ,and save you the work