New Diesel Fanatic Need's Help

ALLY Fox

Old Man Truck
Dec 14, 2010
Oregon 7S5
If you have the trans done, have the pump rub issue fixed at the same time. Also, it's a great time to replace the downpipe if you're gonna do that. You should plan on havin' $4K and change in your piggy bank. Don't know about other shops, but Mike will have you in and out in a day,two at most if you set it up. I got a couple of 3 day Disney passes, pulled my 5th wheel 1000 miles to LA, stayed a week and took my truck in to Mike, back out the next morn. I'm happy and Momma got some mouse ears, so she's happy too....:)

NRA223

May 20, 2015
To take advantage of the trans you will need a lift pump and new tunes. The down pipe should be done while the trans is out as well. That should put you over the 500 rwhp mark. If you want to race you will need some form of centerlink brace and at least tie rod sleeves. My advice is don't go cheap on anything and always do what you think is overkill. I have found every time i say this will be good enough for my goals i end up changing my goals and wishing i had gone bigger initially.

TheDEFTECH

Feb 21, 2015
Northern California
She's dirty, but still looks good. I just bought a longhorn fan shop tune to see how well it does. The Idaho Rob tunes aren't working very well. I've done the tranny relearn and still shifts terribly. I'll be doing the tranny probably by the end of the month.

TROJAN366

Gold Rush
Jan 13, 2012
MASS
She's dirty, but still looks good. I just bought a longhorn fan shop tune to see how well it does. The Idaho Rob tunes aren't working very well. I've done the tranny relearn and still shifts terribly. I'll be doing the tranny probably by the end of the month.

Longhorn might be the worst possible choice in tuning. He is not very well respected around these parts.

Awenta

Sep 28, 2014
CT
One of the dumbest things I've read in a while.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

TheDEFTECH

Feb 21, 2015
Northern California
I hear what everyone saying. But I figured I'd give it a shot myself however what I've noticed. their tunes are pretty garbage and I've only had it tuned for one day. So back to the Idaho Rob. after the transmission upgrade can I go to a higher level?

TheDEFTECH

Feb 21, 2015
Northern California
To take advantage of the trans you will need a lift pump and new tunes. The down pipe should be done while the trans is out as well. That should put you over the 500 rwhp mark. If you want to race you will need some form of centerlink brace and at least tie rod sleeves. My advice is don't go cheap on anything and always do what you think is overkill. I have found every time i say this will be good enough for my goals i end up changing my goals and wishing i had gone bigger initially.

What lift pump do you commend? And also down pipe?

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
I've done the tranny relearn and still shifts terribly. I'll be doing the tranny probably by the end of the month.

Depending on the power you're putting out, that may be why the transmission is shifting terribly. They aren't intended to behave well under power levels higher than stock.

after the transmission upgrade can I go to a higher level?

After a built transmission (depending on the level of the build) you can put down stupid amounts of power. Even a mildly built transmission is capable of holding as much power as stock engine internals.

What lift pump do you commend?

I've had great luck with the Airdog 165 I've got on my truck. FASS is the other big name in lift pumps, but there are other manufacturers as well.

We have some great vendors here - check out the vendors section (clicky) to see what they have to offer in go-fast parts. I've only personally dealt with Henry (Creatures of the Night Performance), Idaho Rob (Adrenaline Truck Performance), and Guy (SoCal Diesel), but all the vendors here are good people.

Last edited:

NRA223

May 20, 2015
What lift pump do you commend? And also down pipe?

I'm running a raptor 150 because i got a great deal on it. If i had it to do over I would do a Fass with their pickup and delete the factory fuel filter head but that's just an opinion. I'm also running an MBRP down pipe because it was a last minute decision when doing the trans and that's what the shop sold. I would go with Profab if i had to do it again. However my raptor and MBRP have done well for me too.

TheDEFTECH

Feb 21, 2015
Northern California
Update:
Last week stopped by Inglewood Transmission. Mike did one hellova job. Shifts great and feels awesome. Ordered a FASS 150 which will be installed next week. Then new Idaho rob tunes. Can't wait. And also beefed up the tie rods and whole front end.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Update:
Last week stopped by Inglewood Transmission. Mike did one hellova job. Shifts great and feels awesome. Ordered a FASS 150 which will be installed next week. Then new Idaho rob tunes. Can't wait. And also beefed up the tie rods and whole front end.

Did you say Hi to the Sheep? :roflmao::woott: