Need ideas for more power

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Throw a dual fueler kit on it and have fun with it for awhile....
the dual cp3 setup is not what kills engines. it's the tuning. and a dual cp3 setup allows for turning it up a lot more then a single. but keep it reasonable and there is nothing wrong with it. infact, I ran one on my LB7 for several years on my tuning with a stock engine without any issues

Reactions: Skummz

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
the dual cp3 setup is not what kills engines. it's the tuning. and a dual cp3 setup allows for turning it up a lot more then a single. but keep it reasonable and there is nothing wrong with it. infact, I ran one on my LB7 for several years on my tuning with a stock engine without any issues
Well..... I mean....... a 12mm will just about keep up with 2 stock pumps, a 14mm will pass dual stock pumps in output.

Dual stocks wouldn't be a bad upgrade for him but I'm personally (key word here is personally) a fan of stroker pumps. Less clutter, less items to be out of alignment and kick a belt, less plumbing connections etc BUT they do work very well.

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
Well..... I mean....... a 12mm will just about keep up with 2 stock pumps, a 14mm will pass dual stock pumps in output.

Dual stocks wouldn't be a bad upgrade for him but I'm personally (key word here is personally) a fan of stroker pumps. Less clutter, less items to be out of alignment and kick a belt, less plumbing connections etc BUT they do work very well.
I will say the biggest thing that turns me off of duals is with a big single I can get a serpentine belt anywhere rather then extra long belt

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
Also do I have enough room by the fire wall to run the ppe manifolds and up pipes for the down pipe to clear I’m gonna move the trans dip stick to the driver side ?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
I will say the biggest thing that turns me off of duals is with a big single I can get a serpentine belt anywhere rather then extra long belt
That’s pretty minor. I always just carried a spare belt.

Also do I have enough room by the fire wall to run the ppe manifolds and up pipes for the down pipe to clear I’m gonna move the trans dip stick to the driver side ?
Yup. That being said if you haven't purchased the PPE manifolds/up-pipes yet I would spend that $800 elsewhere first.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I didn't mean use them for awhile until it blows up, I was saying throw dual fuelers on for awhile until he gets bored and wants more. Keeping the fueling up high and not low is what keeps the bottom end alive ....hell I'm running a 10mm/stock pump on my current SBE

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
That’s pretty minor. I always just carried a spare belt.

Yup. That being said if you haven't purchased the PPE manifolds/up-pipes yet I would spend that $800 elsewhere first.
Where else would you use the 800 on ?

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Where else would you use the 800 on ?
More injection pump would be a good start, or put it toward your engine build. At your current power, and your plans of pulling the engine to build it next year, putting manifolds/up-pipes on now IMO is a major waste and doesn't give you much of a gain that say a dual pump kit/larger stroker pump does in terms of adding power.

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
More injection pump would be a good start, or put it toward your engine build. At your current power, and your plans of pulling the engine to build it next year, putting manifolds/up-pipes on now IMO is a major waste and doesn't give you much of a gain that say a dual pump kit/larger stroker pump does in terms of adding power.
Yeah the bigger pump is a full go as soon as I get home froM this work trip I’m going to order and install a 12 mm and have mark re tune it and I’ll update you guys on it just didn’t know if it was worth it to do the thinking manifolds and Better up pipes trucks already got a lb7 up pipe and the non restricted driver side manifold

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Yeah the bigger pump is a full go as soon as I get home froM this work trip I’m going to order and install a 12 mm and have mark re tune it and I’ll update you guys on it just didn’t know if it was worth it to do the thinking manifolds and Better up pipes trucks already got a lb7 up pipe and the non restricted driver side manifold
With the above bolded I wouldn't do anything else until you build the motor. Even then if your goals are 800hp or lower you could go with 2" up-pipes and call it a day. It seems that the average break-point where they provide a benefit is in the 800hp area.

Let me know if I can help get you squared away with a 12mm. We carry various brands at my shop and would love to help get you setup with a quality pump. Mark certainly does a great job with tuning.

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
With the above bolded I wouldn't do anything else until you build the motor. Even then if your goals are 800hp or lower you could go with 2" up-pipes and call it a day. It seems that the average break-point where they provide a benefit is in the 800hp area.

Let me know if I can help get you squared away with a 12mm. We carry various brands at my shop and would love to help get you setup with a quality pump. Mark certainly does a great job with tuning.
I greatly appreciate the help man I’ll keep ya in mind once I get home about a week or so

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I greatly appreciate the help man I’ll keep ya in mind once I get home about a week or so
I got my 12mm from Bdsankey can't go wrong shopping with him! Also unless you are going to see Mark for in house tuning there most likely won't be any reason to retune. The bigger cp3 will make sure there is plenty of fuel where your stock one isn't meeting demand.

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I got my 12mm from Bdsankey can't go wrong shopping with him! Also unless you are going to see Mark for in house tuning there most likely won't be any reason to retune. The bigger cp3 will make sure there is plenty of fuel where your stock one isn't meeting demand.
If the single stock cp3 is keeping up or close to it your not going to see a gain by adding dual pumps or a stroker. You will have to add some fuel to take advantage of the pump or your wasting your time and money.

Reactions: 2004LB7

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
If the single stock cp3 is keeping up or close to it your not going to see a gain by adding dual pumps or a stroker. You will have to add some fuel to take advantage of the pump or your wasting your time and money.
The single stock CP3 is keeping up because it's tuned for that stock CP3 and not going past the fuel volume it can support. A 65mm turbo will certainly make more power than the typical stock CP3 can fuel.

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
With those sticks and a stock pump it's probably calling for more fuel pressure than the sensor will read so the pump will run wide open. A stroker or duals if this is true will make a lot of pressure/ more power.

Reactions: 08lmm72mm

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
The single stock CP3 is keeping up because it's tuned for that stock CP3 and not going past the fuel volume it can support. A 65mm turbo will certainly make more power than the typical stock CP3 can
but with the bigger pump can’t I have him re tune it hotter ?

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. That might be true if you are running a stock turbo or your tuning is weak. Stock cp3 will not come on as quick as a bigger pump will and it will add power unless your tuning is very conservative

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. That might be true if you are running a stock turbo or your tuning is weak. Stock cp3 will not come on as quick as a bigger pump will and it will add power unless your tuning is very conservative
I'll give you an example from personal experience. Back in 2008 I had a rclb lb7, 40 overs, single 4202, robs tuning. Truck went consistent 11.80-11.85. I thought the same thing and added dual fuelers, same tuning. Truck went 11.78 best pass next time out. Only reason it picked up anything was on the single stock cp3 it was calling for 24k and was dropping to 22k, dual fuelers kept rail at 24k. I could of added some pulsewidth and picked up a lot more but I never did, granted this was back in the early days of efi when 40 overs were huge and anything over 500hp on a SBE and you got down and said a couple hail Marys before making a pass.