Need ideas for more power

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
Looking for what I should add to the truck currently have a lly with marks 65mm drop in 100 overs built trans minus billet shafts studs ect but stock lower end at the moment will marks 68mm be a marginal upgrade for power? Is it worth it also lower end just stud the mains new rods delip pistons new valve springs ? Should be enough for a while right ? Intrested in all opinions .

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
you'll need to log your fuel pressure to see if you are loosing any to know if an upgraded CP3 will help

Reactions: Skummz

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
you'll need to log your fuel pressure to see if you are loosing any to know if an upgraded CP3 will help
Yeah I have a cts3 I could watch that with but like where is the limit when your just over working your factory pump also I have a 165 fass on the truck

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What are you planning on doing with the truck?
Who's tuning, and how hot (hp-wise) are you running the truck now?

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
What are you planning on doing with the truck?
Who's tuning, and how hot (hp-wise) are you running the truck now?
The truck is mostly going to be used as a weekend truck play around with it mark is tuning it and I havnt had the truck on a dyno so idk hp rating

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
if Mark is doing the tuning then have him look over the logs and tell you if you need another CP3. there really isn't "over working" a cp3 as opposed to an upgraded one. the stresses on the internals are the same if not more on an upgraded one. if the volume of fuel and pressure are the same they are both doing the same amount of work.

08lmm72mm

May 13, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
What do you have done to your lower end ?
I've done nothing to my bottom end. Been running the 72 and 45 over nozzles for over 120,000 miles now and upgraded the cp3 to a 12mm 10,000 ago. I daily drive on 600rwhp (estimate). Stock head studs aswell and I monitor my oil temp. The cp3 did feel like it added power down low and made my bigger tunes feel more powerful even though the stock cp3 always held rail. I've been most impressed with the PPE up pipes I had put in, they woke up my turbo alot!

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
LLY vs LMM stock bottom is an apples to not-same apples comparison. Id be very careful above 575-ish rwhp on an LLY stock setup.

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
LLY vs LMM stock bottom is an apples to not-same apples comparison. Id be very careful above 575-ish rwhp on an LLY stock setup.
I definitely plan on keying the crank and cam along with a set of carillos, studding the mains and rockers, and bee hive valve springs this up coming winter. On a estimate where abouts does the 68 or 72 with 100 overs gets yeah power wise ?

Yngdmax92

Sep 26, 2013
your turbo is good for low 700ish range, youll need more pump as a stock pump can only put out so much ( around 600hp with a good pump).

I have the same set up but with 45 overs, 3794 stg2 with upgrade vanes, you defiantly are playing with fire here, put a pump on it and have mark max out the truck. But you really need to be careful with how you use the power. upgrading to the 68 version in my opinion is not worth it. there is a 40 hp difference in max hp you can make out of the 3794 vs the 4094 frame. You lose the aggressive turbo brake and the 4094 will be a bit laggy compared to what you have. Skip the 4094 stg2r and ask him about the 68/71 turbo he has. Diesel addiction runs one ( dustin ) and he is loving it and they are rated for around 800hp max out put with the bigger turbine. Either way, when you put a pump on this engine, you are playing with fire

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
your turbo is good for low 700ish range, youll need more pump as a stock pump can only put out so much ( around 600hp with a good pump).

I have the same set up but with 45 overs, 3794 stg2 with upgrade vanes, you defiantly are playing with fire here, put a pump on it and have mark max out the truck. But you really need to be careful with how you use the power. upgrading to the 68 version in my opinion is not worth it. there is a 40 hp difference in max hp you can make out of the 3794 vs the 4094 frame. You lose the aggressive turbo brake and the 4094 will be a bit laggy compared to what you have. Skip the 4094 stg2r and ask him about the 68/71 turbo he has. Diesel addiction runs one ( dustin ) and he is loving it and they are rated for around 800hp max out put with the bigger turbine. Either way, when you put a pump on this engine, you are playing with fire
Okay couple questions more so for my own knowledge and curiosity is what does the larger cp3’s do that the stocks don’t like what is the stroked pumps providing that stock doesn’t I’m just curious for the more scientific answer I understand the basics just wanna know more and when it comes to the pump size what is the more preferred go for the 12 Incase I ever decided to upgrade fuel and air again or 10 is plenty ? And any playing with fire you mean starving the stock cp3 of fuel or playing with fire in my lower end the lower end I plan on 100 percent touching this up coming winter. Thank you all for your bits of information it’s great to always learn more !

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022

Yeah this upcoming winter she’s going to get pulled and the lower end done so hopefully she holds till then I don’t drive the truck everyday anymore nor do I ever launch the truck or anything I more so enjoy the 5th gear pulls on the highway when the heavy torque converter locks up . Such a good feeling

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Looking for what I should add to the truck currently have a lly with marks 65mm drop in 100 overs built trans minus billet shafts studs ect but stock lower end at the moment will marks 68mm be a marginal upgrade for power? Is it worth it also lower end just stud the mains new rods delip pistons new valve springs ? Should be enough for a while right ? Intrested in all opinions .

Lets start with the questions below. You're asking questions that can get quite blurry on where the line is.
1) What CP3 is in the truck currently?
2) How do you use the truck? IE do you tow, is it a toy, is it a work truck etc.

Personally I would think if you have 100% inj, 65mm, and the OEM CP3 still keeps up you're maybe low 600s which is less than that 65mm turbo is capable of. If you upgraded to a 72mm you will be quite under fueled for what that turbo can support at that point. If it were my truck with the mods you have and an OEM CP3 the first thing I would do is upgrade to a 10mm or 12mm to help support what the rest of the system can do with a 72mm/100% inj.

As for the engine build there are MANY ways to skin that cat like overall HP goal etc. For a budget/1k "safe" build using something like a Callies Durastar, SoCal/DHD/Wagler budget rods, Mahle motorsport or Fingers cast piston, ARP hardware throughout etc is a solid choice.

Skummz

Mar 29, 2022
Lets start with the questions below. You're asking questions that can get quite blurry on where the line is.
1) What CP3 is in the truck currently?
2) How do you use the truck? IE do you tow, is it a toy, is it a work truck etc.

Personally I would think if you have 100% inj, 65mm, and the OEM CP3 still keeps up you're maybe low 600s which is less than that 65mm turbo is capable of. If you upgraded to a 72mm you will be quite under fueled for what that turbo can support at that point. If it were my truck with the mods you have and an OEM CP3 the first thing I would do is upgrade to a 10mm or 12mm to help support what the rest of the system can do with a 72mm/100% inj.

As for the engine build there are MANY ways to skin that cat like overall HP goal etc. For a budget/1k "safe" build using something like a Callies Durastar, SoCal/DHD/Wagler budget rods, Mahle motorsport or Fingers cast piston, ARP hardware throughout etc is a solid choice.
Sorry if I was a bit all over the place easily happens haha and so it currently has a stock cp3 and as far as what I do with it it has more recently become a toy because I bought another stock lly to dd the most towing it will do is a skid steer at 7k but not very often at all

And okay I understand a little better now yes I would further more be happy to keep the 65 if there is more potential and it sounds like there is so next step seems to be a larger cp3 and like I mentioned before next winter I’ll be pulling the engine to do lower end work