Need help with LB7/Allison 5 Speed

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
So I had a small incident and ended up having to replace my Tcase tail housing, extension housing, bellhousing, torque converter, and the Adaptor plate on the back of the engine. I got all this done and installed correctly as far as I know (flipped tranny on its face when installing extension housing, torqued bolts correctly. Made sure the torque converter was splined all the way onto the input shaft) but when I put the truck in drive all it does is roll unless I give i hold the throttle at about 2300-2500RPM. I am having no codes pop up but I replaced 2 shift solenoids that failed the Ohm check and put the new Transgo shift valves in. They all move free and bounce when dropped into the bores. I am at wits end.

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
And when I do give it enough throttle to move it only does so for about 5 or so seconds then goes back into neutral. I also replaced the NSBU and Ignition switch. I have a new PSM in the box and a new set of speed sensors ready to go on as well. But I’m starting to believe it’s a clutch problem and nothing electrical.

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
Yes sir, when I first started it and threw it in drive it gave me a few codes, all of which were electrical For the C shift solenoid and one for the A Trim I believe. That’s why pulled the valve body and put new solenoids in. And put the new shift valves in as well. But as of now it has not a single code. Engine or tranny related.

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
My old man is bringing his laptop from work that has the Allison software on it so we’re gonna see it that shows us anything more than my scanner. But yes it can read trans codes if that’s what you’re wondering

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
I’m beginning to think it’s a sticking trim valve ... another thing to note is the truck will sometimes slam into reverse and sometimes it will go in smooth.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
As an FYI the steel shift valves seem to never work right. There’s tons of issues reported with them. What made you mess with the shift valves?

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
As an FYI the steel shift valves seem to never work right. There’s tons of issues reported with them. What made you mess with the shift valves?
Well I started with them because that in my mind is the first thing to start with. I had power going to every thing and everywhere it should be, so I knew it was a problem with the flow of fluid or my clutches are toast. So I went to the VB next.

Bdsankey

Vendor
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 1, 2018
Neenah, Wisconsin
Well I started with them because that in my mind is the first thing to start with. I had power going to every thing and everywhere it should be, so I knew it was a problem with the flow of fluid or my clutches are toast. So I went to the VB next.

So were the shift valves hung up when you took it apart?

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
Update: both the Allison software and Nexiq won’t connect to the trans what so ever may be due to shitty box tuner I have, I’ll un hook in the morning and recconect the laptop

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
Update: both the Allison software and Nexiq won’t connect to the trans what so ever may be due to shitty box tuner I have, I’ll un hook in the morning and recconect the laptop
And another thing to add to that comment. YES I removed the box tuner in an attempt to trouble shoot the issue, it didn’t fix anything, I also checked all pins on both plugs on TCM. It is a new “rebuilt/refurbished” TCM that has maybe 15,000 miles on it. I’m also going to put my new speed sensors on in the morning as I read the tranny has to see a drop in turbine speed before engaging in gear. But that wouldn’t explain why the truck still pulls itself forwards when under power.

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
Update : Removed box tuner, Allison software now communicates with TCM is showing all shift solenoids except the reverse solenoid staying on at all times. I am going to install the new pressure switch and see where that gets me.

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
There is no reverse solenoid. Usualy the PSM will throw a P0875 code if the switch is bad. You've worked on so many different things at once I couldn't begin to guess what's wrong.

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
There is no reverse solenoid. Usualy the PSM will throw a P0875 code if the switch is bad. You've worked on so many different things at once I couldn't begin to guess what's wrong.
The reverse trim or “A” trim is what I meant.

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
Also I did a solenoid test and all solenoids make an audible click besides Solenoid C. Which happens to be one I replaced. I am going to drop the pan again, clean all connections and test again to see if it changes anything. If not I’m going to purchase a new VB