Need help with LB7/Allison 5 Speed

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
Solenoids are not tested that way.
So the “solenoid test” feature on Allison DOC that allows you to test duty cycle and listen for each individual solenoid actually does nothing? Also I’m pulling the tranny and going to rebuild completely thank you all for the help. 👍🏻

Mike L.

Got Sheep?
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 12, 2006
Fullerton CA
So the “solenoid test” feature on Allison DOC that allows you to test duty cycle and listen for each individual solenoid actually does nothing? Also I’m pulling the tranny and going to rebuild completely thank you all for the help. 👍🏻
The DOC will tell you if the solenoid is electricly sound, but it won't tell you that it's working properly. You need a solenoid dyno to know for sure. The dyno uses air pressure along with a DVOM set on mA to see at what pressure it opens and closes. You must know ahead of time what those numbers should be. You don't need to do this all the time, but when chasing a problem it's invaluable to have this tool.

C.Brandon

Aug 7, 2020
The DOC will tell you if the solenoid is electricly sound, but it won't tell you that it's working properly. You need a solenoid dyno to know for sure. The dyno uses air pressure along with a DVOM set on mA to see at what pressure it opens and closes. You must know ahead of time what those numbers should be. You don't need to do this all the time, but when chasing a problem it's invaluable to have this tool.
My apologies if I came off as a smart ass on my last reply. In a fit of anger I ripped the TCM out of the truck last night and forgot about it being unplugged this morning, I started the truck to try and back it out of my shop to have space and lo and behold I threw it in drive and now I have third gear instead of it being locked in fifth. So I’m not giving up hope just yet