LB7: NEED HELP!!! Truck is dead.

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
ok well to start off i was runnin about 55 and then laid down in it to about 110 and it defuel'd where it won't turn over 2k then when i stopped to reset it by turning the key off, pullin it out of the ignition and opening the door for about 15 seconds,(that usually fixes it) but it wouldn't start at all... cranked on it off and on till the batteries were dead, and tried jumpin it from two other trucks and just cranked. tried to read the codes with a bully dog(only thing handy) but it wouldn't even come on.....
the next day after charging the batteries all night it cranked for a while but fired right up after about 3-4 sessions of crankin. still wouldn't turn over 2k and now has this really bad injector knock it sounds like to me when it gets around 1700rpms, and was flashin decreased engine power.
now the damn thing won't even crank at all,
these are the last codes i got....
p0089
p0090
p0103
p0107
p0380

PLEASE HELP!!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
P089/90 = Fuel Pressure Regulator.

P0103 = MAF (no biggie)

P0107 = Baro sensor (this can cause 2000rpm limp)

P0380 has me worried. That's glowplug error. Glowplugs can draw nearly full amps off the battery.

See any melted wiring?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
From http://service.gm.com/gmspo/mode6/pdf/2001/2001file9.pdf:

P0089 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance
P0090 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Control Circuit
P0103 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit High Voltage
P0107 - Baro Pressure Circuit Low Input
P0380 - Glow Plug Circuit Malfunction

Sounds like a fairly decent short or pinched harness. That's a lot of stuff to go bad all at once. Check your bale connectors and look for anywhere the harness is stretched or pinched.

Edit: Man, beat me to it! I'd go with what McRat said first: look for melted (or blackened) wires.

Last edited:

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
P089/90 = Fuel Pressure Regulator.

P0103 = MAF (no biggie)

P0107 = Baro sensor (this can cause 2000rpm limp)

P0380 has me worried. That's glowplug error. Glowplugs can draw nearly full amps off the battery.

See any melted wiring?

x2, check the two relays in a little black box on the firewall on the driver side of the turbo. it houses the two relays that control the glow plugs and the intake heater. when they go bad, weird stuff happens

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
don't see any melting, blackened wires, and how do i check a relay? i located them but the truck won't even crank anymore just stopped doin that all of a sudden, no signs of anything goin bad in the starter area just stopped, can't even cross the starter over and get it to crank????
this truck has been a headache from day 1 pretty much!!

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
and when it would crank it would puff white smoke while it cranked...when runnin it'd puff a good size black puff on the throttle like it was gettin fuel but maybe the cp3 took a crap or injector........ i'm clueless....

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
A CP3/FPR wiring fail goes max pressure, so it idles like crap, but runs well at WOT. Doesn't not limp AFAIK.

Baro = Barometric Pressure Sensor. Normally does not go bad, almost always wiring problem.

MAF = Mass Air Flow, if Baro <> good, then this usually sets off.

You have a wiring problem. 99.9% sure.

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
so where do i start to solve this problem? i'm good on cummins but this is only my second dirty and i don't know all the tricks and stuff of tinkering with them.

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
and what would keep it from even crankin? did i fry the F'n starter too? or what?
when it would finally start after crankin its guts out, there was alot of weird things goin on, fuel gauge would work on/off, turn the signal on and it blinked fast like a bulb out but both tails, tag lights, and third brake like would flash all together, but if you pushed the brake pedal they all stopped.... and sometimes the speedo would max out before evenin starting...

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Start with checking for cut/chafed/shorted wires in the wiring harness.

Maybe you should get some good batteries for it too. That can cause some weird problems also (especially the stuff with the gauges).

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
i have did quick check of all harness's and don't see anything right off, is there anywhere they usually have problems originating from?

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
the batteries are only a year and half to two years old, they always have held good charge just got cranked dead on the side of the road when she let me down.

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
My gauges and lights start blinking and buzzer going off when batt is dead.it doesnt take much to warp a plate in the batts and then they are junk ive seen a new batt with a bad cell touching and the batt is no good,charge them up real good and check to make sure the terminals are clean and tight.

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
ok batteries are good, can't find a burnt, pinched, blackened spot anywhere on any harness(visually)... still won't crank just clicks once when you hit the key, thats it like the starter is bad too but did cranks just fine till all the shit happened...
where to go from here...?

turbojoe

undercover dmax lover
May 7, 2011
Farm. Hills, MI
check your wiring harness that goes up the A-pillar where your psi/egt gauges are mounted. did you use longs screw of some sort to mount your gauges? had someone do that and boy were there funny things going on.

Joe

nate roop

Mar 11, 2011
no just clicks like the starter isn't kickin in, but not sure if i fried the starter from cranking or its some more of a electrical issue,....... still nothin figured out haven't got any farther in the diag. than the first day...... ready to wash it with gas and dry it with a match.

ThebigGids

Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, wa
Sounds like you fried your starter to me. How long were you cranking for? I'd highly recommend only cranking any starter over for only 20-30 seconds at a time before taking a break and letting the starter cool otherwise you will burn it up.

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
sounds like you toasted the starter leave the batteries on a charger and check your fues box for anything outta the ordinary also use a test light when the power is on check make sure your getting power everywhere put a fresh starter in also clear the codes out then try starting... if they pop back up let us know which ones keep coming back