My scratchbuilt foamy R/C plane!... For those intrested in such things!

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
My scratchbuilt foamy R/C plane!... For those intrested in such things! PICS ADDED!

Thought i'd share this with you guys:hug:

My freshly done Sbach 342 EPP foam 3D plane! Made as an indoor/calm outdoor flyer, these things are a nice winter time hobby! This was entirely done by myself, which it was all new to me, never done anything like it before. Design, build, paint, assembly was all done by myself. Turns out its a real nice flyer too! Few very minor tweaks and its golden! Maiden flight was Sunday, with a few real good pilots/builders giving it a shot and they all liked it too! So heres a short vid of it with a pro pilot takin it for an easy flight! Enjoy!:thumb:

: Ill post up some pics of it later and I have some on-board camera video on my Yak55 too:D

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/md7jQ88LmSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/md7jQ88LmSY&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Attachments

• DSC00694.JPG
    DSC00694.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC00695.JPG
    DSC00695.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC00698.JPG
    DSC00698.JPG
    109.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00699.JPG
    DSC00699.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC00700.JPG
    DSC00700.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
:thumb: Thanks Ben! It was alot of work but fun none the less! Prolly a bad thing, now i have all kinds of ideas i want to try!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
For those not familiar with the shortlived Do 335:

do335-112.jpg

Fastest prop plane of it's day.

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
The Army has a RC plane with an onboard camera that they shoot out of a mortar tube to launch. It is rigged with C4 and is used as a kamikaze UAV.

Know anyone with some explosives????

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
:rofl: That could be some fun/trouble! Like Fed Pen kind:spit:

Ive actually thought of the Do335, love that plane! the rear motor weight could be tricky. Would power it like a reg twin. Brushless motors will run either way depending on how you hook up the 3 power leads. Just put the rear prop on reversed, it would work!

These kinds of planes are alot of fun, very manuverable! They do more than real planes can. Theres actually a kit for small electric planes called V-pitch. Its like a heli swashplate setup that changes prop pitch. With that, you can feather the prop in any range including reverse pitch, so you can stop a plane in mid air and even reverse a bit :eek: its crazy to see! Makes for some crazy manuvers!

Red

Hating altitude
Aug 23, 2009
Colorado Springs
The only experience I have with stuff like that is some UAV training. But the Army doesn't trust people to fly it themselves, so we use a laptop and set waypoints for the plane to travel on. Onboard computer controls pitch and elevation and all that jazz, and it has terrian models programmed for the area you are flying in so it doesn't hit a mountain:rofl:. Never understood how everyone crashes their UAVs, and you would be VERY suprised to know how much it actually happens(and the cost per unit!). The only thing you are really in control of on the locally operated UAVs is the camera. But it is still a ton of fun to use them :thumb:

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
For those not familiar with the shortlived Do 335:

do335-112.jpg

Fastest prop plane of it's day.

yup, very cool plane. Had two huge ass benz engines...or maybe BMW, I forget.

Very tall tricycle gear because the props were so big.

Fun fact about the do335 I remember reading somewhere years ago...it also was the first (and only?) WWII fighter equipped with an ejection seat...obviously necessary because bailing out with the prop back there would be deadly.... It was a pretty crude design though, a lot of pilots and people who tested it ended up with broken backs/compressed spines... :eek:

ben

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Someone liked seeing "the elevator" in that video. :rofl: Wild what talented people can do with RC planes and helicopters. Just impressive!

So whats the general process for making the plane?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
man this reminds me of an old hobbico "almost ready to fly" I had with a tigre .40 engine I think??? I flew it for only a little while before crashing it...im much better at flying 'full scale' planes. :rofl:

if you have anymore videos of you flying the yak, post them up!! I love watching these videos.

ben

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Will do on the other vids guys! Trying to upload them to youtube now!

My Hangar consists of:
I have a Skyraider Mach1 w/ OS40FP (soon to be a diesel conversion)
Hangar9 T-34 Mentor w/ OS.46FX
Parkzone Typhoon II 3D -brushless
Parkzone Vapor w/ custom wing covering
Parkzone Micro 4-Site 3D plane
3DEPP.com Yak 55 1500Kv Brushless on 2s-460maH
Sbach 342 3D - 1500Kv Brushless on 2s-460maH or 3s-460maH

I just got some Depron foam to try some micro foamys too.

Far as building foamys from scratch goes... Theres alot of ways to slice this but generaly speaking... Find good 3d pictures and or line drawings of the aircraft you like. From there the easy way to do it is save the photos and take them to Kinko's or somwhere and have them print them off in the scale size you want. I simple measured my computer screen pictures and figured out the scaling, CG, locations, and kinda looking at my Yak as a standard to go by. Next would be to choose the foam build material, EPP, Depron, blu-cor, etc. Cutting out the scale copys or drawing in your plane, tracing, etc. Then using a very sharp knife, cut out the basic pieces. Planes like my Yak which was a kit, was cut on a waterjet. Next step would be triming out pieces and beveling the control surfaces. The control surface pieces are cut with the rest as on big piece then they are cut seperatly. Once you know how large they need to be (they are oversized on these) They are cut via a V-notch bevel, allowing the control surface to move. Hafta be mindful of things like rudder to elevator clearance too. Next to glue the notched control surfaces back on. Also must be mindful of glues and things, some things dont play well with foam and each type is differant. On EPP we use stuff called Welder Glue, its a contact adhesive. Now butting the control surfaces up with the bevel cut line, welders glue is applied and smeared thinly across the joint. When dry, it becomes flexable and is now the hinge material. Next would be it install carbon fiber spars, generally one in the wing, one in the elevator. EPP is very flexable foam, we use it for these things because they normally just bounce off without much damage. Easy fixable with welders glue or hot glue gun. So since its so flexy, it needs carbon for structure bracing so they fly right. After all that, Cut out the servo/motor bays and any final cutting is done and a test fit (a few light hot glue spot welds to hold it togather). Make any changes needed. Next, is to paint it how ever you like. Some just use color sharpies, most use cheap acrylic paint and an airbrush. Seal the paint with waterbased stuff like Minwax Polycrylic. Then assemble with welders glue! Now components, installing motor, servos, control horns, and electronics. Make contol rods. Trim the surfaces, flight check, and go fly!

Thats the basics of it anyhow:eek::rofl:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
On-Board Yak Cam! VIDEO ADDED !!!!!!!

Heres one more vid i got uploaded today! On-board cam on my Yak foamy!

Enjoy!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2J0miqRVGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D2J0miqRVGI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Luie

Dec 3, 2010
Laurel, Ms
So far this is what i have...
Align 500 FBL 3G..
Blade 450 3D
Blade 400 3D
Mutt/Align 450
Novus CX micro heli
SuperCub
B-25 with 55inch wing span.
Soon... 700e class heli...