LLY: my custom big twins build

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
Ben you dont even have to be on a diesel forum to know that you bought junk rods and they failed.

Did I know that you installed lbz pistons,No! I will assume I read your thread at one point but probably lost interest after all the :cry::violin::blah:

He didn't "INSTALL" LBZ pistons... It's a stock LBZ short block with LLY heads, and I can't say I have ever really heard any crying and or bitching on Ben's part, I think someone is just having a bad day/month

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
here is a video...maybe now you guys will believe me when I say a BD or HTT single is louder. :mad:

Im just really mad because I wasnt expecting it to be like this; if I had known what it was going to sound like I would have just de-ghettoed my MPI setup (made a proper stock turbo mouthpiece, redid some of the piping that I hacked up initially) and saved a shitload of money and time.

2050us/20* timing tune in the first clip, no boosted launch, rest of the video was stock tune. It shifts like that because I have a stock LLY TCM OS in there because I wanted my auto high idle for the winter. Also, how do you guys like my 50mph converter lockup?

the only thing that impresses me about these is that there is surprisingly little lag.

[YOUTUBE]VBNdWKlVUJg[/YOUTUBE]

(the song in the first part of the video is just for you guys)

heres how mine used to sound:

[YOUTUBE]A-nWhEyqM1o[/YOUTUBE]

here is with the BD turbo, the video quality is crappy, but trust me it was louder.

[YOUTUBE]R3OhXIC5JMk[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

mr duramax

howdy doodie
Jun 15, 2009
in the mall parking lot
here is a video...maybe now you guys will believe me when I say a BD or HTT single is louder. :mad:

Im just really mad because I wasnt expecting it to be like this; if I had known what it was going to sound like I would have just de-ghettoed my MPI setup (made a proper stock turbo mouthpiece, redid some of the piping that I hacked up initially) and saved a shitload of money and time.

2050us/20* timing tune in the first clip, no boosted launch, rest of the video was stock tune. It shifts like that because I have a stock LLY TCM OS in there because I wanted my auto high idle for the winter. Also, how do you guys like my 50mph converter lockup?

the only thing that impresses me about these is that there is surprisingly little lag.

[YOUTUBE]VBNdWKlVUJg[/YOUTUBE]

(the song in the first part of the video is just for you guys)

heres how mine used to sound:

[YOUTUBE]A-nWhEyqM1o[/YOUTUBE]

here is with the BD turbo, the video quality is crappy, but trust me it was louder.

[YOUTUBE]R3OhXIC5JMk[/YOUTUBE]

Whats up with the check engine and no seatbelt lights

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Whats up with the check engine and no seatbelt lights

check engine light is for incorrect wiring on the g-solenoid in my trans (doesnt mean anything)

seat belt light was on because I was parked in my driveway and didnt have my seatbelt on....I always wear my seatbelt when my truck is moving.

The reason it all of a sudden went on is because when you rev GM trucks/SUV's at idle, for some reason the speedometer picks up excess noise or something and climbs up to 5mph or so. So the truck thought I was "driving" without my seatbelt on and therefore started to ding at me...if that makes sense.

ben

Subman

Old Geezer
Jun 27, 2008
Madras, OR, Pahrump NV
check engine light is for incorrect wiring on the g-solenoid in my trans (doesnt mean anything)

seat belt light was on because I was parked in my driveway and didnt have my seatbelt on....I always wear my seatbelt when my truck is moving.

The reason it all of a sudden went on is because when you rev GM trucks/SUV's at idle, for some reason the speedometer picks up excess noise or something and climbs up to 5mph or so. So the truck thought I was "driving" without my seatbelt on and therefore started to ding at me...if that makes sense.

ben

That the first mod I do is get rid of that damn seatbelt alarm. It's my business if I want to wear one or not. Mind you it cost me $97 to have my own way, but I friggin tired of goverment dictating what they think is good for me. There, I feel better.:D

Last edited:

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
That the first mod I do is get rid of that damn seatbelt alarm. It's my business if I want to wear one or not. Mind you it cost me $97 to have my own way, but I friggin tired of goverment dictating what they think is good for me. There, I feel better.:D

Damn straight. I have seen enough accidents where not wearing a seatbelt has saved somebody's life. Personal preference. End of story.

dmaxfireman

'Can do' kind of guy
Apr 8, 2007
CT
i dunno ben my twins were just as loud as your old set maybe turbo sizing?

maybe it is just as lound just at a different frequency and dogs are all going deaf in your neightborhood and people just can't hear it?? :spit: :D

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
so...anyone know what makes the turbos nathan uses so loud??

Ben ,have you figured out how much boost the big turbo is making yet ? Pretty important info before you blame anything , second you are comparing apple's to oranges , Borg Warner turbo's are quieter than Garrets.

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I have a gauge ghetto-rigged in between the two turbos, its an old advance auto junk oil pressure gauge but I dont see why it wouldnt work...

I went out and tested it, it seems like the big turbo is making ~12psi or so MAX on my "big" tune...is that right? On the small tune it makes maybe 6-7-ish.

I will try to get a drive pressure gauge hooked up this weekend

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
sorry Ben you are unhappy with your twins... my 4094 is really loud and the turbo whistle is ear piercing. It seems when you use the stock VVT/big primary they are REALLY! quiet i remember watching DPC when Rob was sledpulling with his LBZ sounded really quiet too me.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
here is one of me racing Russ (RPM Motorsports) he ran an MPI Kit whatever the basic kit is using the stock VVT and im in the far lane i can't even hear his turbo over mine

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7xFtM8aN8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z7xFtM8aN8Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
I have a gauge ghetto-rigged in between the two turbos, its an old advance auto junk oil pressure gauge but I dont see why it wouldnt work...

I went out and tested it, it seems like the big turbo is making ~12psi or so MAX on my "big" tune...is that right? On the small tune it makes maybe 6-7-ish.

I will try to get a drive pressure gauge hooked up this weekend

Your secound turbo should be putting out 25 -27 psi for the total boost you are reporting ( 50 PSI ) , at 12 psi the old girl is barly moving , I suspected as much and is def part of what your complaint is maybe not all of it though ( wistle ) , and is def hurting power a bunch and drive pressure is most likely high . Work on the tunning some more , it needs more exhaust flow to the secound charger .

Last edited: