Mustang Dyno hurt my feelings....

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
Hell, it may be right..... but i just can't see how. My '06 that i work out of everyday did 465 a couple of years ago (not on this dyno), when it was tuned, and this pull truck just seems to have ALOT more motor in it.
however, I forgot to mention. that is still the stock transmission in that truck :eek:
When we bought it, the guy said he had just rebuilt it, and after we found out the motor was shot, then we really didn't have the time or money to work on both ends, so we decided just to have fun with it and see what it would take. It has really suprised me how tough it can be as long as you stay off the pavement and just mainly sled pull.

It still felt pretty good when we got on that dyno a couple of weeks ago, but now its getting really bad. It smells like the tranny is on fire, just by driving it into town with no playing at all.
needless to say, a new one is being lined up, i'm just not sure if we will have it before our first pull

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
Your dyno numbers are bogus IMO. I'd feel pretty good adding 175-200 to that number.

Couldn't see it but it sounded like your truck was bouncing a little or coming in & out of being fully loaded a little. No?

How'd you place?

So work stock there allows "stock appearing" chargers not just factory stock turbos? That's awesome.

Dan@PPE

Diesel Enthusiast
Aug 8, 2006
So Cal.
Did they do a parasitic measurement/roll down for the tires you are running?

They would get the truck up to about 90mph, put it in neutral and let it roll down to 0 mph.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
imho take a dyno number and throw it out the window... there are people whom actually care what a truck dynos. i am not one of them

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
Sure sounds good. I think its alittle over 390. Id say anyway. Its got fuel thats for sure.

Thanks man. Yeah, we may have went too big on the fuel....I have plans on goin 2.6 when this motor decides to go and I didn't wanna have to back-track on all my parts... and the injectors were bad when we bought the truck, so i had to buy some anyway.... I don't know if this was a good or bad decision.....

As far as the truck coming in and out, we were tryin some different boost situations, and ended up pulling three times back to back almost. I'm not sure what transmission is in the truck, but it feels horrible on the street. I honestly thought that it was comin out saturday night, but it didn't...
the guy claims it was rebuilt as a stock tranny right before he blew the motor up, but i just can't understand how it is held this long. It has to be slippin, so this might be what you are hearing. The track was hooking hard that night and really working the truck over.

This pull was just a local, run what you brung, no tech pull. they had a street and a modified class, but nobody had any rules for them.....our truck is set up for workstock rules down here and ours still states "stock appearing"

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
oh yeah, we were beat by a 6.4 in one class by two feet. He was really strong. I don't know what under the hood looked like, because this was just a local pull and they never teched anybody, but this wasn't just your normal 6.4.....I know what they pull like and this truck was a running SOB...plus he got lucky that it didn't bounce...
If i remember correctly, us and the 6.4 had put over twenty feet on the field by the end of the night. It felt good to get out from the break and let the truck stretch its legs a little...:D

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA

They would get the truck up to about 90mph, put it in neutral and let it roll down to 0 mph.

No, we just told him that it was fourth gear, 1 to 1 ratio, and he then wanted the truck at like fifteen hundred rpms so he could set something.....

the dyno thing isn't that big of a deal to me, i just wanted to know what yal had to say about it.....I could care less what it said, or if its right or not....

No, i don't want one of those little badges under my name for this dyno run.... i'll wait till i break 400 atleast....:rofl:

HDdave

Nov 16, 2010
Wilmington, NC
Yeah 389 seems low... Even without knowing what turbo you have you should at the very least be close to 600hp. A 366 will do that.. Go find a different dyno! truck sounds awsome :thumb:

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
"stock appearing" 6.4 fords have put down stupid #s. like 700rwhp iirc. They're nothing to sneeze at if truck is setup to not bounce cause they're starting to make good power with them. Just a little FYI. :D

crzycowboy

May 21, 2012
Sorry guys to bring up an older thread...but my buddy has a Mustang Dyno, and he hurts feelings all the time...or so I'm told.:roflmao:

Inaccurate/bloated dyno numbers have sold Millions in parts.....and will continue to do so to the masses.

A dyno is a tool, nothing more.

This is the true. Alot of people tend to forget about that. Yes it can measure HP and TQ, but I believe it's original purpose is to tune.

Never heard of this being done, but I can see where this could be a factor. Have you seen this done on Mustang dyno's before??

No, we just told him that it was fourth gear, 1 to 1 ratio, and he then wanted the truck at like fifteen hundred rpms so he could set something.....

I'm guessing he had you sync your roll speed to the dyno. If that's the case, then you numbers are probably off for that reason. The dyno shop by me recently had a dyno day, and he had issues with the roll speed. Some guys had way low numbers, like 8hp, and 12TQ...LOL, and others were up there, but still a little off. I personally think the direct connect to the OBD II is the best way to get a more accurate number. However one thing to remember, is weather plays a HUGE factor in your numbers too.

I did some research on dyno's on the interweb thing...and came up with a few good stories. Of course, the bookmarks I had are on the OLD pc I had at work...LOL I'll have to look for them again. Hot Rod Magazine did a story once on the Dyno-Jet, eye opener to say the least. I also believe it was Diesel Power who just recently just did a story on which dyno's are giving the truest numbers...

JustinD

Plow Truck
Nov 21, 2008
Tiverton Rhode Island
My truck made 40hp less on a Mustang 2000 dyno, it has alot to do with the values entered, I will say it took alot longer to make the pull and I made more boost on the Mustang dyno for sure. Dyno readings are not end all in my book, if you wanna know how much power your making take it to the track, or if your happy with the way it goes on the street who cares what that dyno told you. I watched a 12v that was a top competitor in our diesel class make 3xx on a Dynojet, it ripped everytime he hooked but his numbers were disappointing. Mine only made 460 on a Mustang and 494 on a Dynojet and still went 12.6x. Guys were making 5xx and only able to get a low 13 second pass.

Bustedknuckles

Honey Badger
Sep 25, 2010
Hagerstown MD
I did 519 on a mustang last weekend. a tuned built trans and lift pump lbz only did 441 with ppei tuning so I was very happy with my truck and robs tuning! For reference I did 471 last year on stock turbo tunes.

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
Since that dyno run we have found that the bottom of the intercooler was cracked and we have also made some tuning changes. Gonna go through the tranny and put a lockup box on It in before our next pull in a couple weeks. Im gonna try to get back on this mustang dyno after all that and see what happens. Also found a dynojet in the area so I will be able to post some information here in the next two weeks probably. I'm thinkin the tuning changes and the new tranny with the box will make a huge difference