Mustang Dyno hurt my feelings....

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
We learned a couple of weeks ago that a guy close to home had a mustang dyno in his shop, so we took our workstock puller and my cousin took a 24V that he is building for a guy to pull against us in the workstock class. I know nothing about dynos or really any technical information about how they work, but i do know kinda where we should be with our truck. With this being said, My cousin put that dodge on first, which they are thinking to be around 450-500, and laid down a whopping 290!!! I knew we were at the wrong place at this time...... one hour later, we strapped ours on and rocked the rollers with a 389!!! haha I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.......
This guy told us that his dyno was 100% right and that the mobile dynos and dynojet dynos give people glorified numbers to brag about. He was super nice about it, so I didn't wanna really say anything back to the guy.

just a little insight......., our truck has 60 overs, stage 3 single pump, and a not quite stock turbo........

Here is a video if anyone would like to watch and see if this sounds like 389 Hp...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVjxXcCTaao

feel free to post any comments, you can't hurt my feelings any worse than this god-forsaken dyno hahahaha

GeneralTJI

Turbo Todd
Jun 1, 2010
Colorado
Mustang dyno's do read a little low... But yea that's pretty sad.. How well were you able to load the trucks? How much boost compared to the street? Also, weight and trap speed tell you more about power than a dyno (I realize your not a drag racer, but a dyno is really just a tuning tool- so don't get too upset)

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
yeah, well we started out with like a fifteen percent load, and then moved to a 40%. no real changes in Hp numbers. Boost was sitting where we wanted it to be and truck was being logged at the time. truck did just as tune was commanding and sounded good, just some bullshit numbers if you ask me.......I just wanted to post this up to see what you guys thought. the numbers don't bother me that much right now, however, on March 31st at our first pull if it don't run worth a damn, then I guess we will have to drop back and punt.

I hope yal think this is bullshit also, or else i'm gonna feel like a jack@ss :rofl:

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
Dyno's

I Think the mustang dyno's are closer than some others that's for sure. I also think that trap speeds don't FIB! That is unless you smoke the lights. Also there are ways of spiking a dyno and getting numbers that mean nothing! You have the rite thoughts on waiting until the pull and seeing how it stacks up then you will know were you stand. Dyno's are just a tool for some and a place to hype for others. Good luck and keep us posted.

AdaMax

Nov 26, 2010
Caldwell , Oh
Sounds to me like the dyno was reading low . I was on a mustang dyno with my old truck and hit 448 hp with a stock turbo and stock cp3 and stock sticks . Plus if the other truck was built to compete with yours you have him by almost 100hp . Put em on the track and then let us know how they match up .

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
thanks for the info, yeah the dyno operator doesn't know anything about diesels. He said the only diesel that he had dynoed was his own 3500 duramax tow truck. He told us that it did 300 with only a superchips......hahaha My cousin, with the 290 Hp dodge, about threw up. considering all the work they have in that truck... haha

also, the man that owned the dyno was not driving, he was operating the computer, if this changes anything

blk smoke lb7

<-----Lots of green $
Nov 8, 2010
belvidere,ill
Something stinks about the dodge only making 289 and the owners truck made 300 slingning 4 tires in the rear stock, someone is fudging #s IMO if you can get the same guy to run the same dyno evertime and duplicate his test then i dont care what #s he comes up with as long as i can see a differance in new mods atleast i would know im making gains or not even if im making more then the guy is telling me

LWATSON

future trans limpers
Jul 30, 2008
Scotland Neck NC
I know you have a pull truck, but if you could get it to a track and make a pass or two your trap speed vs. weight will tell you allot more. Truck runs good by the way.

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
Thanks man. Its ran pretty good for what it is. The truck was put together in two days using a block covered in dirt from the junkyard, the week of a big pull last october at our home track. I know it is helpful to be able to keep using the same dyno to see gains or losses, but still, be honest, who on here wants to see numbers that low out of a truck that you have spent tons of time and money on. lol seeing gains is nice, but numbers like that still make you sick :eek:

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Probably had it in a low gear? When I had mine at a car shop they did it in 2nd for some reason. I had to tell them to use 4th, that will change the numbers dramatically.

dmax06

barely getting by......
May 10, 2009
white plains, GA
4th gear on all runs...........This little event was a couple of weeks ago, it took me a little while to get the nerve to post this. I know of a few certain people that are probably gonna love this....haha

I will let yal know how my 389 hp truck pulls here in about three weeks!!!!

Here is a video from last year, 36 hours after the truck was put together with our true stock turbo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UnfroAJQX8

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Every dyno owner thinks theirs is right...

Ive ran on superflow, dynojet, and a mustang, and the dynojet inertia was the closest to the calculator on this site.

Leadfoot

Needs Bigger Tires!
Dec 27, 2006
Western MA
www.matpa.org
Inaccurate/bloated dyno numbers have sold Millions in parts.....and will continue to do so to the masses.

A dyno is a tool, nothing more.
The problem with pulling is you can win with 200HP and lose with 2000HP.
How good would you feel getting "accurate dyno numbers" and beating your friend by 100HP, but then lose to him by 10' on the track.

Yes it takes power to win, but you have to get it to the ground.

And I'm not saying the high HP/TQ numbers you see posted are incorrect/bloated, but sometimes you wonder how one number would compare to another....

hondarider552

Getting faster
May 28, 2008
Arizona
Meh, recycling centers only need to know the difference in weight, not a open ended weight ( such as driving on to see what a truck weighs, then driving off) :D