Medium Duty CAN bus Protocol

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
I dont have the TDM/BCM but it would be faster/easier/better to just grab a TDM & BCM and make up a bench harness.

Also, would it be better to spoof the ECM into thinking ALL of the main modules are alive & well instead of letting it send fault codes when a module doesn't appear on the heartbeat? Im just thinking it would be easier to interrupt what I would be watching if the bus wasn't full of fault codes because the network is missing most of its nodes. But that would probably require a canB for each module that I would be eliminating, unless the heartbeat messages dont need to be synchronized. Does the ecm just receive a message within xx time and it is happy?

Im not sure about the message synchronization...or time spacing on the SOH messages. That would be something that would have to test in the real world.

But since the ECM is only on HS GMLAN, I would think that the only SOH messages you'll actually have to replicate would be EBCM (ABS module), and BCM (the BCM is the HS GMLAN to LS GMLAN gateway). Might not even need EBCM...find an LMM or LML, unplug the EBCM and see if it still starts?

Ben

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
Ill have to find a spare LMM BCM and TDM...and see what happens.

I have a full bench harness here that has all sorts of pigtail adapters for it, BCM, instrument cluster, ECM, TCM, HVAC, radio, etc.

Maybe Ill play around with it sometime next week. This week Im too busy catching up on orders and stuff from Scheids.

Ben

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
I'm over here mind blown and you guys are getting a chub..

Glad someone knows this stuff! It's gibberish to me mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben has been like this for over 10 years. He's an electrical genius. Us long timers have gotten used to reading things from him that make most people say, "Wut?" :hug: (Luv ya Ben :rofl:)

If you really want your mind blown, talk to Fingers for a while. He tried explaining his new-at-the-time cylinder pressure monitor to me years back, and all I could do was nod and smile.

We are lucky to have people like Ben and Jon in the Dmax hobby, thats for damn sure.

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
Ill have to find a spare LMM BCM and TDM...and see what happens.

I have a full bench harness here that has all sorts of pigtail adapters for it, BCM, instrument cluster, ECM, TCM, HVAC, radio, etc.

Maybe Ill play around with it sometime next week. This week Im too busy catching up on orders and stuff from Scheids.

Ben

Sounds good. I have a complete LMM engine/transmission harness but unfortunately I couldn't get the bcm & all the other modules are the same time. I'll have to keep an eye open for a complete harness for the next motor.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
Ben has been like this for over 10 years. He's an electrical genius. Us long timers have gotten used to reading things from him that make most people say, "Wut?" :hug: (Luv ya Ben :rofl:)

If you really want your mind blown, talk to Fingers for a while. He tried explaining his new-at-the-time cylinder pressure monitor to me years back, and all I could do was nod and smile.

We are lucky to have people like Ben and Jon in the Dmax hobby, thats for damn sure.

Haha yea fingers lost me in a cyl pressure thread. Ben is awesome and I'm with you on us being lucky we have people like him in our community.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Ok I did some logging and testing.

It seems all of the complicated challenge/response mathematics happens only between the TDM and the transponder chip in the key itself.

The TDM and ECM dont do any challenge/response or calculations. This is good!! :)

Theres simply a "everythings all good, enable fuel/allow starting" message, and a "wrong key, no key disable fuel/disable starting" message that the TDM and ECM exchange.

So if swapping an LML engine only, or engine and transmission into a boat or other vehicle, you think we could just broadcast a correctly formatted "all good" message over the HS bus and the ECM would happily function. Easy enough to test using the CBT unit to spoof as a TDM.

If that works, it should be easy enough to incorporate this into our current gateways. On the HS GMLAN side, key on powers up the ECM, TCM, and gateway, which immediately sends an security OK message over to the ECM. Once engine is running, the gateway listens for engine and trans parameters, (tach, speedo, temps, map, ect) and converts those into J1939, N2k, Vnet, Dakota Digital or what ever packet format the vehicle display requires.

Sound reasonable? Avoids the need learn anything.

Just speculating since I haven't even looked at the packets yet. What I am questioning is how all of this relates to the LMM swaps. Just disable VATS in the ECM, problem solved. What did I miss?

-K

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
So if swapping an LML engine only, or engine and transmission into a boat or other vehicle, you think we could just broadcast a correctly formatted "all good" message over the HS bus and the ECM would happily function. Easy enough to test using the CBT unit to spoof as a TDM.

Correct. Before you dismantle the whole truck though, you'll need to listen to the bus during startup and grab the 2-byte password that the TDM sends to the BCM, and the BCM sends to the ECM (because the BCM has to translate from LS GMLAN to HS GMLAN, probably the same password, just formatted differently for LS GMLAN vs HS GMLAN.

Remember, there is also a specific "ignition on" and "crank request" messages from the BCM...when you turn the key on and to start, the BCM sends not only the TDM info/fuel-enable password, but also a crank-request message as well.

So you'll need the CBT to send several things.

1. Power Mode Master message from the BCM (SOH message from the BCM, and the message indicating ignition/key position.

2. TDM password/anti-theft/fuel-enable/TDM SOH info

3. Crank request message

What I am questioning is how all of this relates to the LMM swaps. Just disable VATS in the ECM, problem solved. What did I miss?

-K

2007.5-2010 LMM and 2011-2014 LML have the same BCM/TDM/electrical system...so since you have your LMM there, you can use that for testing and carry it over to LML stuff.

Also...im not sure if the VATS disable on the LMM works either. Both the LMM and LML have VATS-enable tables/switches in EFILive. On the LML, it doesnt seem to do shit in a standalone application. Ive never tried running an LMM in standalone, because I just convert LMM's to LBZ's when I do 2006-2010 standalone harnesses, so cruise control and crank request can be wired to discrete inputs on the ECM and not need the BCM for that.

What you would have to do to test on an LMM is flash the ECM with EFILive and VATS set to "disable"...then unplug the TDM, turn the key to start...see if it cranks or starts. If it doesnt crank...then leave the key in the "on" position, pull the starter relay, and jumper the starter relay terminals...it will obviously crank, but if it doesnt start, then we know there are additional checks in the ECM/BCM, that will not allow the engine to start if the TDM is missing on the bus....regardless of what the ECM is programmed to do via VATS switch in the calibration.

There could be underlying code in the main operating system (which EFILive doesnt modify) of all 2007.5+ vehicles (that have crank request and stuff go over data instead of discrete +12v inputs) that checks for starter relay circuit integrity, and SOH of the BCM and TDM before the ECM will enable fuel.

I know the later E38 and E67 gasser ECM's are like this...both ECM's are used in later GM applications that have crank request via GMLAN.........if you are doing those in standalone, just setting the "VATS switch" in the calibration SOMETIMES still wont allow them to start.....EFILive had to actually dig deeper into the underlying base operating system in the ECM and create an OS-level patch that bypasses the "fuel enable" flow chart that the ECM runs.

They (EFILive) would never bother to visit this in the LMM ECM (if an actual OS patch is required) because theres zero return; if you have an LMM engine and you wanna run it as standalone, just convert the harness to LBZ and run it as an LBZ...........and on the LML, you cant modify/patch the base OS (unless you're GM/Bosch), because its all RSA-encrypted.

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Remember, there is also a specific "ignition on" and "crank request" messages from the BCM...when you turn the key on and to start, the BCM sends not only the TDM info/fuel-enable password, but also a crank-request message as well.

So you'll need the CBT to send several things.

1. Power Mode Master message from the BCM (SOH message from the BCM, and the message indicating ignition/key position.

2. TDM password/anti-theft/fuel-enable/TDM SOH info

3. Crank request message

One thing I've noticed, Bosch designed all this for MB several years before GM got it. My 05 E320 (which is basically the exact same CR fuel system as an LMM) uses very similar security and starting structure as you've listed above. So our possible data pool to learn from likely includes MB, plus VW / Audi in there too. No one ever reinvented the wheel, they just keep changing rim sizes... :)

Knowing this, my next questions or experiments would be.

1. Can you bump start a LML with manual trans in KOEO?

That would tell us if that crank request message is actually required. I'll bet the ECM will fuel and fire long as that primary security OK message was received and the crank trigger is pulsing. If so, switch starter wiring to LLY / LBZ style and you've removed the second CAN message.

2. Need to verify those security message between BCM and ECM across several vehicles. Again going out on a limb here, security OK or not-OK messages (at hex or binary CAN level) are gonna be same across all vehicles. If not the ECM and BCM are "married" or VIN coded at some point so they know each others key. Sending this one over to my GM tech bud for further input.

Last, I do have access to a LMM stand alone ECM & TCM combo running fine in with only VATS turned off. It's in the boat I've been helping out on. Give ya some more details later. But don't recall anything else special being done. Maybe slight starter relay circuit changes.

Great work on this Ben. As I posted above, is more fun as a team sport. I'm going to grab that LMM truck later tonight.

-Ken

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
One thing I've noticed, Bosch designed all this for MB several years before GM got it. My 05 E320 (which is basically the exact same CR fuel system as an LMM) uses very similar security and starting structure as you've listed above. So our possible data pool to learn from likely includes MB, plus VW / Audi in there too. No one ever reinvented the wheel, they just keep changing rim sizes...

Yes, from what I understand, the LML uses a European style immobilizer code/implementation in the ECM...since the LML ECM is infact just a GM-ized EDC17. As far as I know, GM didnt write any of the operating system/base code in the LML ECM, they basically just told Bosch what they wanted/needed, and then Bosch gave them tuning software (think EFILive) to write the engine calibration. But GM really had nothing to do with anything else on the ECM....so Bosch probably just carried over the stupid complicated immobilizer code from the traditional common European EDC17

1. Can you bump start a LML with manual trans in KOEO?

Manual transmission option disappeared way back in 2007. There was never any LMM or LML with a manual trans. Allison only.

That would tell us if that crank request message is actually required. I'll bet the ECM will fuel and fire long as that primary security OK message was received and the crank trigger is pulsing. If so, switch starter wiring to LLY / LBZ style and you've removed the second CAN message.

I know for a fact this wont work on an LML. You cant just jumper the starter relay. It wont start/enable fuel without a "crank-request" data message from the BCM...and maybe from the TDM too. That is the unknown, how much play the TDM has in just cranking the engine alone. I think quite a bit, because Ive heard of stock LMM's having anti-theft problems, and the truck wont even crank...so Im 99% sure we need to fake the BCM and TDM to make the engine start.

Need to verify those security message between BCM and ECM across several vehicles. Again going out on a limb here, security OK or not-OK messages (at hex or binary CAN level) are gonna be same across all vehicles. If not the ECM and BCM are "married" or VIN coded at some point so they know each others key. Sending this one over to my GM tech bud for further input.

Thats easy. Take your LMM you have there, go to the hardware store, and have the key copied to a "non-chipped" key...should only cost $5. Now try to start the truck. Obviously the engine wont run, but see if it will crank with no chip present in the key.

Log messages on LS GMLAN from the TDM to the BCM with both a valid key and a non-valid key. Then log HS GMLAN messages from the BCM to the ECM with a valid key and non-valid key.

Once you do that, its just a matter of deciphering the data. At least on my truck, it only took me about 10 minutes of looking over the databus logs to find where/when the password was transmitted in the code....and what a valid fuel enable password looks like, and a non-valid/fuel DISABLE message looks like.

Once you find the fuel enable password and the "fuel enable/disable" message, and the TDM SOH health messages...unplug the TDM, and use the CBT to broadcast both the TDM SOH messages, and the "fuel enable" password. NOTE: you'll have to do this all on the LS GMLAN bus...lets eliminate ONE thing at a time...its easier to work on the slower low speed bus anyways.

So say now you specifically spoofed the message from the TDM, and you can make the truck start with the TDM disconnected (and wrong key) just by sending a LS GMLAN message to the BCM that gives TDM SOH and fuel enable password.

Now you just have to log the HS GMLAN bus and find out what a valid "crank request with proper fuel enable password" message looks like. That should be it....

Last, I do have access to a LMM stand alone ECM & TCM combo running fine in with only VATS turned off. It's in the boat I've been helping out on. Give ya some more details later. But don't recall anything else special being done. Maybe slight starter relay circuit changes.

Ok cool, and you're sure its an LMM right? And not an LBZ? Did the engine start with no relay load on the "starter relay control circuit"? Or did you have to put a dummy load on the control circuit, and then just jump the starter solenoid???

So then I guess the LMM ECM uses the older "simpler" non-Euro style VATS and immobilizer code, that can be easily disabled in the calibration with EFILive...no base level operating system changes needed.

But still, we can use the LMM for R&D...because electrically and databus-ly its the same as a 2011-2014 LML.

Ben

SmokeShow

Nov 30, 2006
Lawrenceburg, KY
I'm just over here attempting to follow along. As I said before & others have too, it's cool seeing the technical nitty gritty stuff discussed. Thanks for the interesting discussion even if it's foreign language to most.

Obviously a lot of know Ben knows this stuff. But kidturbo, what's your background if you don't mind me asking? How do u know this stuff too? Just thru hobbies or your occupation?

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
The LMM might be easier to decipher as well, due to less traffic on the network. Or is there a similar amount of traffic on the LMM & lml? Also, is there anything other than a SOH that would need to come from the TCM to make the ECM happy?

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
The LMM might be easier to decipher as well, due to less traffic on the network. Or is there a similar amount of traffic on the LMM & lml? Also, is there anything other than a SOH that would need to come from the TCM to make the ECM happy?

I would say LMM and (2011-14) LML have more or less the same network traffic...its all the same GMT-900 body, electrical system, databus, TDM, and BCM...

Ben

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Thanks Ben, I'll get on that from the LMM side. I just verified the boat is true a 08 LMM junk yard swap with no BCM. It's a long distance support relationship, he's in out in CA. Not sure if a member on here, but Rob at DT wrote the base tune, so he can verify OS. I'll bet out there next month to check it out in person.

SmokeShow, I hold an associates degree in Engineering - Automotive Technology, and was an ASE Master Tech way back in 87. Did short stent in a dealership, then opened my own speed shop specializing in EFI by 90. The old chip burning days.. Then hooked up with Accel when they started testing the first DFI units. Was running 9's in a full street trim 3600lb EFI fueled F-body back in 93.

By 95 I became heavily addicted to the Internet, started the webs first street racing site. LOL... Then started a couple local ISP's, closed up the speed shop, and by end of 99 found myself traveling the globe building IP networks. I still contract in IT and currently working on my Bachelors degree in project management. Also run a small commercial biodiesel production facility (which only sucks up money today) For that I purchased the first well known LLY Duramax powered boat, sold it to another member on here last year.

That boat sucked me to get back into this electronics and wrenching stuff. Most of it's history can be read here. I rebuilt the original harness and changed tuning to EFIlive. Modified everything else needed to make a Dmax live happy in a boat... Since then I've helped out on several other marine swaps, tuned a couple dozen trucks, and trying to put together a plug an play instrument setup for marine conversions. It's some sort of gear head mid life crisis I guess..

:woott:

Reactions: sbornoe

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
Wonder how hard it would be to get ahold of a copy of the tune file the SWEDISH company is using in there marinized DURAMAX? Since they're still turning them out, wonder if they are still somehow using LMM ECM's, or if they have swapped over to LML stuff yet?

henery97

Apr 4, 2011
Nebraska
Thanks Ben, I'll get on that from the LMM side. I just verified the boat is true a 08 LMM junk yard swap with no BCM. It's a long distance support relationship, he's in out in CA. Not sure if a member on here, but Rob at DT wrote the base tune, so he can verify OS. I'll bet out there next month to check it out in person.

SmokeShow, I hold an associates degree in Engineering - Automotive Technology, and was an ASE Master Tech way back in 87. Did short stent in a dealership, then opened my own speed shop specializing in EFI by 90. The old chip burning days.. Then hooked up with Accel when they started testing the first DFI units. Was running 9's in a full street trim 3600lb EFI fueled F-body back in 93.

By 95 I became heavily addicted to the Internet, started the webs first street racing site. LOL... Then started a couple local ISP's, closed up the speed shop, and by end of 99 found myself traveling the globe building IP networks. I still contract in IT and currently working on my Bachelors degree in project management. Also run a small commercial biodiesel production facility (which only sucks up money today) For that I purchased the first well known LLY Duramax powered boat, sold it to another member on here last year.

That boat sucked me to get back into this electronics and wrenching stuff. Most of it's history can be read here. I rebuilt the original harness and changed tuning to EFIlive. Modified everything else needed to make a Dmax live happy in a boat... Since then I've helped out on several other marine swaps, tuned a couple dozen trucks, and trying to put together a plug an play instrument setup for marine conversions. It's some sort of gear head mid life crisis I guess..

:woott:

Are your duramax powered boats raw water cooled?

kidturbo

Piston Tester
Jul 21, 2010
Somewhere On The Ohio
www.marinemods.us
Wonder how hard it would be to get ahold of a copy of the tune file the SWEDISH company is using in there marinized DURAMAX? Since they're still turning them out, wonder if they are still somehow using LMM ECM's, or if they have swapped over to LML stuff yet?
They won't voluntarily come off anything related, I've tried. Partly the reason I was inquiring about the medium duty stuff that started this thread. But it's not rocket science either.

On the cooling, both open and closed loop builds. Mine was open, no issues besides not salt water friendly.

-K

THEFERMANATOR

LEGALLY INSANE
Feb 16, 2009
ZEPHYRHILLS, FL
They won't voluntarily come off anything related, I've tried. Partly the reason I was inquiring about the medium duty stuff that started this thread. But it's not rocket science either.

On the cooling, both open and closed loop builds. Mine was open, no issues besides not salt water friendly.

-K
To bad thetes so few of them out there, otherwise you could probably hook up a v2 to one and download it yourself.