May 16 Casper Report.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
Here is a few that Jason's girlfriend Jasmine took. Jason tell her Thank You very much :hug: Man Casper is low :eek:

Attachments

• CIMG1015 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1015 (Large).JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 45
  • CIMG1016 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1016 (Large).JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 39
  • CIMG1019 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1019 (Large).JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 48
  • CIMG1025 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1025 (Large).JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 144
  • CIMG1026 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1026 (Large).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 48
  • CIMG1027 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1027 (Large).JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 45
  • CIMG1028 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1028 (Large).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 57
  • CIMG1029 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1029 (Large).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 114
  • CIMG1030 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1030 (Large).JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 50
  • CIMG1031 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1031 (Large).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 45

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
What is odd, is that we went a lot faster before the truck was lowered. Maybe the GMC body likes airflow underneath?

... Man Casper is low :eek:

I didn't mean to imply lower was better. Honestly, I can see how uniformly lower might be worse. I am remembering back to all of the LLY OH threads and a bunch of testing that was done on reducing under vehicle pressure (as an aid to cooling) and that good results were achieved by getting the front as close to the pavement as possible. Perhaps rake has a good bit to do with it?...

I think TheBac has the ideal solution - find someone with access to a wind tunnel! Short of that, perhaps you could rig up some baro sensors under the truck and log the results doing 1/4 mile runs?

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
Does Casper have one of those chin spoilers that some GMCs come with? I think minisub is on to something.

I did a quick Google of "vehicle rake and areodynamics" and came up with a couple articles. Neither have anything to do with pickups, but do talk about rake angle.

(dont laugh...VW page)http://home.comcast.net/~jaransonT3/jaransonT3/AeroPage.html
This one is interesting...its a racing article. Talks about rake angle, and how a slight "nose down" rake can actually increase downforce. http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache...cs&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

IIRC, doesnt TJ work for NASA in Alabama? Maybe he knows an aeronautical engineer who can help you.

Last edited:

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Im no aero expert but my logic says the same, IMO a "raked" stance might be the hot ticket. Lot to be gained from ground effect. Alot of road racers (we have a road car shop down the street) Have the nose in the weeds, often with splitters and ground effects on the sides and a diffuser in the back to pull negative pressure. We have a customer with a Nobel M12 I work on. It has the same features i described above, along with a full under chassis pan (alum sheet) that also has a rake raising up as it progresses to the rear to the difuser. It also has the radiator tipped forward (like a Vette) pulling air in low and forcing it through the hood and up over the car! Trust me, I've driven it plenty hard! Its powered by a 3.0L twin turbo V-6 in a very light car! At speeds below 70mph its a handful, about 100mph its starting to really stick like glue!

We all know you know what your doin, and doin very well! Congrats to you all! Its not easy blazing a whole new trail;) Keep goin, you'll get there!:hug:

Nobel pics for the intrested;)

Attachments

• 221.JPG
    221.JPG
    144.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 222.JPG
    222.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 223.JPG
    223.JPG
    151.7 KB · Views: 23

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Per the class Casper runs in it has to be a factory option.

Well,:shifan:

That tosses the proverbial "bag" into the blades:(
Since it looks like Casper has the factory option air dam, thats about it huh? Just ride hight to play with. Havin Casper skatin around at 150 isnt good, but as you said, track was poor. Does Casper have a Tonnou cover? Or is it allowed? No loopholes to work with?:D

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
Lowering the truck as a whole reduces the effective frontal area of the truck. Your not trapping air in a pocket under the front of the truck in addition to moving it around the hard surfaces.

However, it reduces the down force in the back. Air doesn't need to fill as big a void under and behind the truck if it is lowered. You will have to find the happy mix of rake for down force and flatness for reduced air resistance since you are not allowed any "streamline" body mods..

Rear bumper delete was an option on our trucks. You might consider no bumper or roll pan to help with down force. (can't tell in the picture what you have/don't have)

mytmousemalibu

Cut your ride, sissy!
Apr 12, 2008
Kansas
Looks like nothin there? That would be the best, no? Take it off and put nothing back? Leave a large open void to the air space under the truck.

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
There was a roll ban. But, at the moment nothing is there. Just the hitch that holds the chute :D

Edit and the license plate

attachment.php

Fingers

Village Idiot
Vendor/Sponsor
Apr 1, 2008
White Oak, PA
The bigger picture helps. Thanks. ;)

Is it me, or is the right tire spinning out in the picture? I thought you ran a solid spool in that truck. Maybe just the exhaust?

Last edited:

Kat

Wicked Witch of the West
Aug 2, 2006
Norco, CA
The bigger picture helps. Thanks. ;)

Is it me, or is the right tire spinning out in the picture? I thought you ran a solid spool in that truck. Maybe just the exhaust?

No spool. I believe it's exhaust. I will confirm with Pat in the AM and correct the post if I'm wrong. The exhaust exits out the back on the right hand side. Here is another pic of the back.

attachment.php

Attachments

• CIMG1012 (Large).JPG
    CIMG1012 (Large).JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 125