May 16 Casper Report.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Well, one more time...

Truck wasn't ready. Plenty of power, just couldn't translate it into MPH.

First pass was hairy. Couldn't accelerate to save my arse until about 1.0 mile, then I finally got it to accelerate from 120 to a finish of 141mph sliding all the way through.

ARRGGHH!! First I go 174, next I go 163, then 155, then 154, now 141. :spit: Seems by then the end of the season I'll be going backwards down the track.

Day two, track was in better shape, but still not good. At about 1/2 track I hit about 170 according to the tach, then it started losing speed as the tires broke loose and fishtailed all the rest the way down. Could only rescue a 157.9mph on the 163mph record. Good news is that it gives me run order #21 because almost everyone had problems with conditions.

There was an extra cool 1947 Hudson Pickup running in A/DT (440-500 cubic inch diesel pickup) with a Ford 7.3 and claimed 750+ HP. Track conditions didn't like him either, and netted 112mph.

The third and last diesel was the MDT Nissan "Salt Toy" with it's 2-stroke Detroit Diesel, super and turbo charged. It ran a 154mph? mph pass, so Casper was the fastest diesel again on the dirt.

Thanks out to:

Johnny
Jason
Mitch
Robert

for pit crew.

Mike L and Guy Tripp for last minute parts (the trans brace was PERFECT!)

Robert my partner in crime with wrenching

Members of this board for your continued support - Casper continues to be a "community effort" and we can't do it without you folk!

And last but first, Kat and Hamsters, for putting up with this nonsense.

:hello:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
And extra special thanks to Craig Johnson for pussing out for the 4th time in a row! :D

Just razing you, but dang Craig, you're freakin' local! You would have enjoyed the Hudson, it was very cool.

Gasuout

Johnny
Mar 20, 2008
Santa Ana , Ca.
I considered the runs this weekend shakedown runs . I think these were very respectable runs for conditions of coarse . It was really hot , track was tore up and dust conditions were horrible on coarse . Pat did very well for being sideways at 150+ mph in my opinion . Lack of traction and soft ground conditions made it hard to go much faster in 5/8 of a mile coarse .

Good Job Pat !! I thought you did very well for the conditions .

Only snapped a few pics of weekend . Phone camera , so quality isnt the best .

View attachment 9336 View attachment 9337

The 47 Hudson Truck 7.3 powerjoke .

View attachment 9338View attachment 9339View attachment 9340View attachment 9341View attachment 9342

Johnny

Last edited:

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
good jod Pat ! i am shure it was not what you were hoping for but good to see the truck back out competing again . and at least you were not short on power :D going sideways @ 150 mph :coolspot:

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The goal is 200+ mph in a production diesel pickup, as opposed to a gasoline pickup refitted with a diesel engine.

It's kind of odd. Some folk want to make diesel pickups faster by making more power, and others want to make gasoline pickups slower by putting in a diesel engine. Currently the powers that be favor the Gasoline method.

RENODMAX

Dead Wrong
Mar 4, 2008
especially putting a ferd in something else. i just dont really understand that whole bit.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
IMO,

Diesel Pickups are fast now. But they will never be faster than spark ignition engines when you go full tilt.

So why modify Diesel Pickups to go faster when you can just put in a supercharged 600ci Methanol engine and make 2500HP? Because we want to have the fastest "diesel pickup" around, not a First Loser gas engine swap.

This is a real unpopular opinion with the Fashion Police right now, but I think I will be vindicated in the long-run. If we define "Diesel Pickup Racing" as gas minitrucks, it will kill the sport. But if we hotrod true diesel trucks like most of us own, the sport will continue as long as they continue to make them.

Really, a 3/4 ton 4x4 that runs 12's is incredible. A minitruck with a V8 swap in it that runs 12's ain't.

I do think there is a place for Max Effort tube chassis diesels and I think they are cool and folk enjoy them. But a street legal minitruck chassis with a diesel crammed into it just so you can claim to be faster than the 3/4 ton real trucks will only be of interest a short time then YAWN...

minisub

6-5/6-6;Whatever It Takes
Sep 11, 2006
Cleveland, OH
What do the rules allow in terms of aerodynamic mods? Sounds like you could benefit from a good bit of under-body vacuum and/or some more down force...

Philtopgun

Nice n Easy
May 5, 2007
Edmond,OK-still a Texan
Casper still lookin good. Are you going to stay with those salt flat tires or try another pair? Cant wait to see the 200+ mph video this year!!!!
We need a truck smilie throwin sand up :D

X2 on production diesel goin down the track

TheBac

Why do I keep doing this?
Staff member
Apr 19, 2008
Mid Michigan
What is odd, is that we went a lot faster before the truck was lowered. Maybe the GMC body likes airflow underneath?

Its possible. You dont happen to have any friends that owe you favors that have access to a wind tunnel, do you?

Last edited: