Max Rpm

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
so a credible source told me a duramax ecm is only capable of 4600 max. now i personally have seen a couple built max's turn 5000 plus. Is this statement true and if not what is the truth????

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
i am talking about the ecm i was told the processor in a duramax ecm can not keep up with anything more than 4600 rpm and i was told this by a very large and credible tuning company

Big Block 88

Multiple choice muscle
Nov 3, 2008
Kansas when I am home
I beleive Pat was haveing issue awhile back with RPM's I am not sure what he is spinnin RPM wise but I would venture to say there aren't to many D-Maxes out there spinnin as fast for as long as Casper has too.

dracing70

SH--- GETTING EXPENSIVE!
Jun 12, 2007
mantua, oh
that came from ppe itself they told us that the ecm on a duramax can not process anything more than 4500-4600 rpm and we just built one that is pushin about 5500 easily

Last edited:

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I've had my truck at 4800 before while spinning my tires on a wet road.

IOWA LLY

Yes, its really me
Feb 23, 2007
Spinning that high on a "free rev", "light load", or a shift flare is one thing. Making power and actually controlling everything at that RPM is another. I would say PPE is pretty close on what they say. I have seen a log of a stock LB7 hitting well over 5000 RPM in neutral at the end of a pull. Big deal. It was popping like crazy and sounded awful.

Last edited:

JOHNBOY

< Rocking the Big Single!
Aug 30, 2006
Saegertown, Pa
Spinning that high on a "free rev", "light load", or a shift flare is one thing. Making power and actually controlling everything at that RPM is another. I would say PPE is pretty close on what they say. I have seen a log of a stock LB7 hitting well over 5000 RPM in neutral at the end of a pull. Big deal. It was popping like crazy and sounded awful.
I have no idea how much power it was making when I did but it was not popping or banging. It was very smooth. But I can not say it would be that way everytime. I dont disagree with PPE. Just because I have spun more does not mean the my fuel system is accurate enough to do it eveytime. I really think injectors help this as they tax the FICM less. But I still have doubts as to if I am really getting the timing and fueling that my logs shows at that RPM. I cant prove that I am or that I am not. What is known is that the processor is really working for a living at those speeds. Again I will say that reducing the injector duty cycle seems to really help.

I can remember when I was told over 3 years ago that spining over 4000rpm would be very hard on the engine and cuase failures. The truth was my engine looked fine after a year and half of 4K+ beatings. I have broke more stuff just letting the truck sit idling than I have running 4K+. With the setup I have know luanches happen around 4600 to 4800 and down track is any where between 3800 to 4200.

But as Fingers would say. "but what do I know?"