Massive Turbo Bark!!!!

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Got my truck up and running with the net HTT turbo. Runs not bad. Still running my old tune before I did the headgaskets and swapped out the stock turbo. But I've got some massive turbo bark going on. I can't even really rod on it at all because when I go to let out of it it barks so easily.

Is this something I can tune out?

Is the blow of valve an option that would work well?

What can I do about this?
I will be working on my tuning in the coming weeks to try and get it running nicer, spooling a bit quicker and it would be nice to get rid of the bark. Let me know of any suggestions.

Right now, the waste gate is set to make about 30-35 psi boost and according to my gauge that only goes to 30psi I am making it no problem. According to my log, it looks like the wastegate is functioning properly because between a half throttle run and a full throttle run I almost made the same amount of boost. Kinda caps off just about 300kPa... and I think that is absolute pressure, so minus 14 psi off whatever the conversion was.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
Got my truck up and running with the net HTT turbo. Runs not bad. Still running my old tune before I did the headgaskets and swapped out the stock turbo. But I've got some massive turbo bark going on. I can't even really rod on it at all because when I go to let out of it it barks so easily.

Is this something I can tune out?

Is the blow of valve an option that would work well?

What can I do about this?
I will be working on my tuning in the coming weeks to try and get it running nicer, spooling a bit quicker and it would be nice to get rid of the bark. Let me know of any suggestions.

Right now, the waste gate is set to make about 30-35 psi boost and according to my gauge that only goes to 30psi I am making it no problem. According to my log, it looks like the wastegate is functioning properly because between a half throttle run and a full throttle run I almost made the same amount of boost. Kinda caps off just about 300kPa... and I think that is absolute pressure, so minus 14 psi off whatever the conversion was.
mine was never bad about barking but for starters i would set the gate higher ... more like 42 psi . but if you are wide open and chop the throttle yes it will bark . i would have to have more info on the barking .

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
Hmm...

Well I dunno what else I can say. Compared to the stock turbo it actually does it easier. Anywhere upwards of 1/2 throttle if I let off quick it will bark. I can kind of control it if when I rod on it I let out of it slowly. But even then, it still barks fairly easy.

I'm worried about trashing this turbo like I did the stocker haha. Will the blow off valve eliminate the bark? 600 bucks... but if it saves my turbo then I'll buy it.

And ya, I was hoping to run about 35psi or so. But I need to make a whole new tune for this thing, I'll get it dialed in slowly. Just need to take a solid day or two and play with the truck. I'm going to start completely from scratch on a new tune.

duramax215

Team Jacoby
Dec 17, 2008
Waubeka, Wi
the only good way to do it mechanically is running it somewhere off your 4 wheels drive where theres vacuum or something in that area. i read that a while back i forget where!

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
the only good way to do it mechanically is running it somewhere off your 4 wheels drive where theres vacuum or something in that area. i read that a while back i forget where!

you can use drive pressure ... superdiesel just posted about it anyone interested pm him for details .

FMOS

Hard Up
Nov 19, 2008
From what I was reading the mechanical setup hasn't really been working all that good for guys. I'll read some more, I haven't followed up in a month or so.

And I know its not a ricer. But if you floor the truck in town and get it up to speed and then want to let off.... to prevent barking I'll have to take about 3 full mississippi's to slowly let out of the throttle haha. I know what your saying about getting a feel for it though, I'm getting a bit better.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_2188/article.html

That link is a start for a guy who wants to do it himself.

When we leaned the truck out it didn't bark so bad... but it ran like poo.

Cheapest option? install a solenoid on a switch offering a boost leak on the street, unless its a huge charger it won't bark with a boost leak.

JEGS had the Dodge BOV on sale for $400. TPS signal is the same no? I'm gonna find out...

S Phinney

Aug 15, 2008
Quncy, Fl
You need to check drive pressure. The numbers will probably be on the high side. You can use a blow off valve to eliminate the bark. Any tuning that makes it more responsive will increase the bark.

sweetdiesel

That's better
Aug 6, 2006
Thailand
Tuning can help TBIQ,PW and Timing you need to log the bark it is probably lots of fuel:)

my HTT drive pressure would rarely ever go over 1:1 even with the twin cp3s

A BOV would be nice to have though

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
you will need to learn how to drive the HTT turbo, you need to slowly decrease pressure to the pedal, with my VVT I would spool it hard then let off it NEVER barked just WHISTLED I wouldn't worry about it barking unless it barks on shifts or light driving.

whitetrash21

put on da damn helmet day
Apr 29, 2008
Vegas
ive never looked into this till i toasted my motor, but what is the "type" of noise a bark is? harsh and quick, or a "whoosh"???:confused:

barking is the coughing sound the turbo makes when you cut throttle really fast. the sound you hear at 0:24-0:25

[YOUTUBE]tz60ZDSZPh8[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: