Mangled glow plug removal

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I’m hoping some of our northern members will have some suggestions for me on how to remove this glow plug that another mechanic attempted and failed to change. I’ve never run across this before, and I thought maybe someone here has dealt with similar. What tools and methods are good for this type problem?

Attachments

• C940C62F-12F2-4227-9707-4D3E0F049F93.jpeg
    C940C62F-12F2-4227-9707-4D3E0F049F93.jpeg
    293.7 KB · Views: 98

1FastBrick

Dec 1, 2016
Junkyard
Weld to it like an old bolt or nut. Then spray penetrating oil at the base to soak into the threads.

It works on exhaust bolts on aluminum heads. I do it all the time on LS stuff. :LOL:

juddski88

Freedom Diesel
Jul 1, 2008
Chesterfield, Mass.
That's a doozey...if you can drill it a bit, and tig a stainless bolt inside it, you might have half a shot at it. That gen is tough sometimes because the threads are so deep. There's only a couple types of extractors that may work and not split the body apart worse, first being a straight flute extractor.

Reactions: PureHybrid

PureHybrid

Isuzu Shakes IT
Feb 15, 2012
Central OH
What tool was used before, a beaver?

+1 for the straight flute extractor if you go that route

But I would see what the customer would like to try. With the time you spend pissing around with it, and the possibility you fail, might be worth just starting to pull the head off now

Reactions: DAVe3283

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
I tried welding a nut to it several times, but it wouldn't budge and kept breaking off a little bit more each time. I guess we're going to be pulling the head.

Dallas S

Jun 17, 2009
Alberta
When welding does not work, we drill. Usually we find the plug was not seated correctly and is carboned up in the hole.

Getting a drill bit centered will be the worse part of this one. Melting it with a tig may be the best way to get a decently flat surface to start drilling. I would drill a ~.210 hole about .750 past the thread ending. I would up the top portion of the hole size to about the end of the threads to the next size straight flute extractor. this should pull the threads out and break off just below the threads leaving the plug in the hole. Then we run a 6mm stainless socket cap screw into the remainder of the .210 hole in the lower portion of the plug and "friction" weld it into the hole. then just use a slide hammer on the socket cap. While we have only broken 2 plugs off, we have repaired many previously damaged heads with this mad technic... when welding does no work...

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I just had the #6 and #8 break off on me beginning of the year. I tried everything and couldn't get them out. Finally I gave up and drove the truck with 6 glow plugs. When I pulled the heads for head gaskets my head guy couldn't get them out and had to resort to drilling them out.

monster50iii

Dec 5, 2014
Soak with penetrating oil for a 2weeks of normal driving and then try welding a nut to it. Ive had this issue and it frees them right up. I'm in MN, so everything gets pretty nasty here. Patience is your friend.

clrussell

pro-procrastinator
Sep 23, 2013
I know what I’ll do if this happens to me.. turn it off in the tuna and go on with life.

Reactions: ironmax

ZeroGravity58

Mar 23, 2008
Maryland
I know what I’ll do if this happens to me.. turn it off in the tuna and go on with life.
That's what I did until I had to do my head gaskets. I no longer run glow plugs in either of my trucks and have no problem getting them started

Last edited:

LBZ_Baker98

Jul 8, 2016
Texas
I could be wrong but it seems like I remember my snap on guy promoting a special tool specifically built for broken duramax glow plugs a few months ago. I could be wrong and if I am not wrong I am not sure how it works or if it works but it might be something worth looking in to!