Main Cap Walk

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Well I think there just ignorant to not want ppl to use a dowel with them. I don't see how a girdle won't help prevent cap walk? I'm sure billet caps don't do much atall, but a girdle can only help.

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
Well I think there just ignorant to not want ppl to use a dowel with them. I don't see how a girdle won't help prevent cap walk? I'm sure billet caps don't do much atall, but a girdle can only help.

im with you there, im just saying from what ive been told by those more knowledgeable than me and read here, it wont completely STOP it.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
The centerline has to change because you are raising the centerline of the circle by cutting the block to clean the cap surface.

The only way it wouldn't change is if you offset the line bore by the amount you shaved off the block.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
The centerline has to change because you are raising the centerline of the circle by cutting the block to clean the cap surface.

The only way it wouldn't change is if you offset the line bore by the amount you shaved off the block.

Josh, you have to machine the main journal to change center line. Simply maching the mating surfaces doesn't change crankshaft center line. Again im no engine builder but I can't see this any other way.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Josh, you have to machine the main journal to change center line. Simply maching the mating surfaces doesn't change crankshaft center line. Again im no engine builder but I can't see this any other way.
Yes it does. The mating surface of the block and cap is the centerline of the bore, correct? If that is cut down on the block, how could the centerline not move by the amount it is cut? If you only cut the cap, I agree, it wouldn't change, but cutting the block, there is no way it doesn't change unless you offset the line bore by the amount you cut off the block.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
Yes it does. The mating surface of the block and cap is the centerline of the bore, correct? If that is cut down on the block, how could the centerline not move by the amount it is cut? If you only cut the cap, I agree, it wouldn't change, but cutting the block, there is no way it doesn't change unless you offset the line bore by the amount you cut off the block.

Yes exactly. That's what I was trying to say in my 6 and 12 thousands post

Dave c

Jul 7, 2013
Centerline will not change. Think about it. The mating surface will change. But the saddle bearing surface won't and the cap surface will get honed creating a perfect circle again that dead center.

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA

The crank journals still sit in the same spot in the block so how does the centerline change?

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
Here's a little drawing to illustrate what I saying

The white vertical line is the stock uncut block. The red vertical line is the new machined surface. The 1.0 dimension (radius) stays the same.

Well the pic is sideways but w/e.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 47

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky
The crank journals still sit in the same spot in the block so how does the centerline change?

Because both ends dont move closer when shaved and get bored out to the same diameter.... Only the cap comes in closer, because the bolts pull it into the block. So you'd have to shave off 2x the amount of the cap as you do on the block to keep a try centerline

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
Because both ends dont move closer when shaved and get bored out to the same diameter.... Only the cap comes in closer, because the bolts pull it into the block. So you'd have to shave off 2x the amount of the cap as you do on the block to keep a try centerline

The centerline of the crank doesn't change. When you align hone you use the original depth of the block as your starting point and the material comes from the main cap. Unless I'm missing something that is.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
The centerline of the crank doesn't change. When you align hone you use the original depth of the block as your starting point and the material comes from the main cap. Unless I'm missing something that is.

^This is the way I see it. The crank rides in the journal which is unmachined, you've only skimmed the mating surfaces. The journal is still untouched therefore the crank has to be in the same spot. When you line hone, still use the same center line, no material is removed from the block side journal, only the main cap.

x MadMAX DIESEL

<<<< No Horsepower
Dec 30, 2008
Lexington, Ky

It comes from both registers when honed in a normal circumstance. But the mating surface has never been shaved, that's why the centerline does not move in relation to the cam when bored or honed in a virgin setup. Pulling any surface off the block surface (like this situation(not just the bore of it, mate surface too)) and it will move the relation to cam closer.

Last edited:

Evan@InglewoodTrans

yerp
Vendor/Sponsor
Aug 5, 2010
Western MA
It comes from both registers. But the mating surface has never been shaved, that's why the centerline does not move in relation to the cam. Pull off the block surface (not just the bore of it, mate surface too) and it will.

What point are you arguing? Maybe I'm just tired but your not making any sense.

jkholder09

Jan 8, 2012
Maryland
If you do anything other than knurl the caps and cut the caps you will push the crank up to tight against the cam gear in a gear to gear timing setup. The only fix I have ever seen is to use a larger housing bore bearing from another application and recut the tabs on a bridgeport. Than grind the crank accordingly. good luck to the next guy that gets the engine and has to figure out what you did in that case. Or you can bore the saddles and then cut a sleeve, you drill and tap the block and bolt the sleeve in with a flat head bolt and then rebore the whole block. I have only seen that in very expensive blocks as that process will cost about 1000 dollars.

Also when you cut the caps if they are spun out and not the saddles, be sure to use a diegrinder on the side bolt holes. I cut some caps and re line bored one and ended up pulling a side bolt cap thread because the bolt was pressing to far down on the block. I had to enlarge the hole by about .008", re tap my main cap, buy a new bolt and then tear everything apart and re tank and clean the block.

It is very hard to save a block with spun bearings

Stingpuller

The Pusher Man
Jan 11, 2007
central Ohio
It will move

Josh H is dead on. You can't clean up the bore unless you cut it. It will tighten up the gear. That's why they make chains for align honed blocks. They are shorter.