Lost the motor?

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I think I'm 90% sure I lost the motor in this thing. I tried to merge on the interstate, and forgot I had it in 2nd. I went oh crap and let off to shift to drive and the truck started shaking like crazy. No oil pressure, white/blue smoke, and oil is dripping from the exhaust. Could I seriously have overreved it that much?

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
I wouldn't think so... The trucks have a rev limiter to prevent that. Unless you've tuned it out. Only thing I can think of that could have oil dripping from the exhaust wold be if the turbo blew. Are there any codes?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
you won't really know until a thoroughly inspect everything. if it's just a blown turbo oil seal then it could have dumped some oil into the intake causing it to run like it did. sometimes they run away, sometimes they choke, shake and run rough. it would have to be a lot of oil to make it past the intercooler so definitely open up the boost tubes and take a look

other possibilities that come to mind are cracked piston, broken crank, broken rod. we won't really be able to tell from this end. you will have to do some digging on your end and get more information

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Yeah I'm not around it at the moment. I was basically asking while I sat on the highway waiting for a trailer. I'm thinking cracked piston. Massive amounts of oil dripping from the exhaust and the horrible knock. The oil pressure dropping to zero is odd for a cracked piston right?

2004LB7

Dec 15, 2010
Norcal
Yeah I'm not around it at the moment. I was basically asking while I sat on the highway waiting for a trailer. I'm thinking cracked piston. Massive amounts of oil dripping from the exhaust and the horrible knock. The oil pressure dropping to zero is odd for a cracked piston right?
yes. that and oil dripping out the exhaust is why it seems more like a turbo then most anything else

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
I will keep my fingers crossed for a turbo! This isn't a hot rod truck anymore. I just pull my camper with it, so I don't want to have to build the motor.

danzick

playing with fire
Feb 20, 2014
Livingston, MT
Probably? I'm heading back today so hopefully I'll have some time to look at it. Anyone know if you can get a standard cheap camera in a glow plug hole?

Ron Nielson

Oct 11, 2009
Berryton, KS
You can buy a USB borescope camera to attach to a computer for $25 or less. Very handy for lots of things. Make sure you buy one that has a head small enough to fit into the glow plug hole opening.