Looking at buying a new RCLB

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
So I have been thinking of buying a 2011 RCLB for a work truck (keeping my LBZ for personal use only) but was kind of disappointed in the options. In order to get the 397hp engine, you have to get it without a box and bumper which really sucks because I am pretty sure trying to find a long box in the same colour for a 2011 won't be an easy or cheap task. Otherwise if you want the box they de-rate it to 335hp for some reason.:confused: Plus they charge you $550 to get it without the box.
Lame-o.

But the price wasn't too bad - $47 000 CAN for a fully loaded truck minus carpet and clearance lights. And they brought back leasing here as well which is nice and added a guaranteed buy-out price option. After a 4 year lease I could buy it for $14 000.:thumb: Downside would be the $3500 for the lift I would need plus the DPF delete. Plus the gay DEF system I would have to keep.

So now I need to decide if I go with my original plan of buying a moderately miled 10 y/o Dodge Cummins ECLB for about 10 to 15 grand, or go new Dmax.
Downside of the Dodge is I would spend alot of money on the paperbags I would need to wear when driving it plus it's a used truck with all the headaches that sometimes accompany that. The plus would be it's alot cheaper than buying new.

Time to ponder what to do.......thoughts from y'all???

TeaBagger2006

Im a Garrett Nut Swinger
May 11, 2008
Bis ND
the dmax would be nice but for the price difference i would go with the cummins....
if the dodge is stock it should be agood workhorse

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well that's the trouble with Dodge's around here. Most aren't stock, and they usually are previously used as work trucks anyhow and with the 40 - 50K a year I would be putting on it beating it up and down rough gravel roads and in -30C winter weather, I can't guarantee any any sort of reliability. Finding one with under 150 000km is tough too! There are a few, but all 2wd.
I was pretty set on buying one until I found out the price of a new Dmax. For under 50K, that ain't that bad considering my last one was over 60K 4 years ago!!

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Not to blaspheme on the board, but in that cold of climate, how come you're not considering gasoline power? Just curious. Diesel power is a good choice, but if had to go down dirt/mud roads in sub zero weather on a routine basis, I'd be looking for a light weight gas 4x4, since it will start easier in the cold?

Kspen90

<<<got turbos?
Jul 14, 2011
Burleson, Tx
Not to blaspheme on the board, but in that cold of climate, how come you're not considering gasoline power? Just curious. Diesel power is a good choice, but if had to go down dirt/mud roads in sub zero weather on a routine basis, I'd be looking for a light weight gas 4x4, since it will start easier in the cold?

sadly i must say X2 dont want to have your fuel gel or batteries get a little weak and leave you stranded in the freezing cold.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
sadly i must say X2 dont want to have your fuel gel or batteries get a little weak and leave you stranded in the freezing cold.

On the flip side of that quandary, put a lift pump and run a good mixture of #1 in it when it gets that cold. My dad lives near Frazier, Co. Which has the lowest mean temp in the lower 48. He has an LB7 dually. Almost every morning is near -25. The trick is fuel mixture, leave it run, and plug it in when not driving.

I just spent the worst winter of my career in the Buffalo Ridge area in South Dakota. Very cold up here. I had one problem and it had to do with a used up fuel filter. My truck would sit for ten hours at work too without being plugged in -15 weather. I mixed half and half #1 and #2 for one full tank and used good winter additive the rest of the winter. The lift pump will push even the slightest gelled fuel through. It ISN'T a problem.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Burn Down

Hotrodder
Sep 14, 2008
Boise Idaho
There is a reason that Alyeska Pipeline all run duramax trucks. Security, Maintenance all run the d-max, from Valdez all the way to the North Slope. They do not have cold weather starting problems & Gasoline is not readily available everywhere in the state. I'm sure it is the same for Dale in Canada, diesel everywhere he runs but not always gas.

Dale, I have a friend that has a Chevy 06' RCLB Duramax he is wanting to sell. He is moving back to Arkansas in the fall, wouldn't be hard to drop it off.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
Just an FYI. Dodges are electrical nightmares. Especially the ones in the year range you are considering. The newer ones aren't as bad, but they're nowhere near as good as a GM or Ford.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

Diesel is much easier to find in the bush and I'm not comfortable about carrying an extra slip tank full of gasoline around with me. When your 200 miles from the nearest fuel station, in the winter, it can be a case of life or death if you can't find gas!

Every rig has diesel, and if something were to go south, a guy can easily get 10 or 15 gallons from a tractor trailer or something. Plus being able to get free fuel from the rig is pretty cool too!

I run a Webasto diesel fired engine heater that heats the coolant so whenever I go to start my truck in the winter, it's at 160F already!:D And there is always the block heater back up too!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Just out of curiosity, you mentioned that you would be willing to buy a used Cummins. Why not a used DMax?

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would but I can't find an RCLB Dmax anywhere! Or at least not with low miles and in good shape. And I don't wan't to buy a bus! (CCLB):D
Plus the ones I have found are at least 8g's more than the Dodges I have seen.

dordtrecht5

Regular Cabs Rock
Jul 21, 2009
Wherever I am working
I would but I can't find an RCLB Dmax anywhere! Or at least not with low miles and in good shape. And I don't wan't to buy a bus! (CCLB):D
Plus the ones I have found are at least 8g's more than the Dodges I have seen.

I see. If you are willing to travel, and maybe to the states, there are a lot of them on autotrader.com That is where I found my RC, but it was on the east coast, luckily I was working out there at the time. I bought it 3 years ago for 21,000 and it had 38,000 miles on it. No carpet, no power nothing. The seats are upgrades though!! LOL

Good luck in your search.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
Well I may have found one. In all of Canada between Kijiji and Autotrader, there is 1 used RCLB for sale.
This one is in Ontario though which sux - a long way to go and no time to get there.
They want $30 000 for it and it has about 75 000km on it.
Nice looking truck though. Once it gets a lift on it and a set of rims, I think it would work great for me.
Waiting to hear back from the dealer for some more info and see if they will deal on it.....If they will sell it for half of what I can get a new one for, then I'm laughing!

Attachments

• reg 2008.jpg
    reg 2008.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 8

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
I'll drive it over to you from Ontario. :). I'm having dmax withdraw

I may have to work something out with you. I got a friend working down in N. Dakota that could drive it back for me if I can't get away from work. Otherwise even as far as Winnipeg would be good enough, I can do that drive in a day and have family there I can visit too!!

LBZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 2, 2007
B.C.
A couple more pics.......

Attachments

• reg 2008 3.jpg
    reg 2008 3.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 9
  • reg 2008 4.jpg
    reg 2008 4.jpg