lml vs 6.7 HO cummins vs. 6.7 PSD

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Has anyone driven all the new trucks yet? Or own them now? Any thoughts on what is best to mod and be dependable?

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
Has anyone ever driven (or seen in person) the HO Cummins at all? In our area, they are purely theoretical. I've seen dozens of LMLs and 6.7 PowerStrokes, but not one HO Cummins, even at dealers. Just the standard output version.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Duramax One

Vote for Pedro
Aug 11, 2012
Oroville, CA
Has anyone ever driven (or seen in person) the HO Cummins at all?

I'm with DAVe3283 on this one. I am personally of the opinion that they are having trouble meeting emissions without having to run DEF. My dad is a big Cummins guy, so for his sake I would love to see these engines out there in trucks, but so far I haven't seen any.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
I have seen alot of 11 and 12 trucks for sale in AZ, cummins as well. Everyone must be buying new trucks. Thats why I ask

DAVe3283

Heavy & Slow
Sep 3, 2009
Boise, ID, USA
To answer your original question, this is what I've hear about the new trucks (all rumor, so take it with a grain of salt):
- 2011+ LML: solid, holds power well, but no EFILive, and tuning is still immature. A few reports of injectors failing around 100k miles.
- 6.7 PSD: tuning is coming along, the truck seems nice enough (saw a few in person), but I am hearing rumors of rods failing below 500 HP.
- HO Cummins: Haven't heard anything about these. Never seen one, except in photos online. Plus, it comes in a Dodge :p

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
To answer your original question, this is what I've hear about the new trucks (all rumor, so take it with a grain of salt):
- 2011+ LML: solid, holds power well, but no EFILive, and tuning is still immature. A few reports of injectors failing around 100k miles.
- 6.7 PSD: tuning is coming along, the truck seems nice enough (saw a few in person), but I am hearing rumors of rods failing below 500 HP.
- HO Cummins: Haven't heard anything about these. Never seen one, except in photos online. Plus, it comes in a Dodge :p

Injectors are not a big deal, but the allison seems to be the same as far as power holding.

Ive heard the same about the PSD, but nothing tangible to go off of. Which makes no sense to build a trans to hold 1600 ftlbs and a motor that wont put out 1000.

Dodge, ya Ive heard absolutely nothing.

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
Does anyone have info on the internals lml vs psd. Cummins I dont see having any internal issues.

coker6303

Keep Calm and Chive On!!
Aug 6, 2009
Houston, TX
6.7 cummins is known to blow head gaskets. Easy to stud them so no big deal. My bro had to stud at 21k miles on his 2011. High boost and drive pressure kills them quick

They also have had quite a few break rods with the base twin kits. low end torque is supposedly the culprit

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
6.7 cummins is known to blow head gaskets. Easy to stud them so no big deal. My bro had to stud at 21k miles on his 2011. High boost and drive pressure kills them quick

They also have had quite a few break rods with the base twin kits. low end torque is supposedly the culprit

So cummins is no the same stout bottom end it used to be?

Chevy1925

don't know sh!t about IFS
Staff member
Oct 21, 2009
Phoenix Az
So cummins is no the same stout bottom end it used to be?

nope. their internals got weaker as well. 12v has the stoutest bottom end factory, then the 24v's got a little weaker with powder metal rods, and the newer rigs are even weaker via pistons and rods from my understanding

diesel53

Sep 16, 2010
AZ
are 6.7 powerstrokes PMR as well? and what are the hp/torque limits of these?

Last edited:

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
6.7 cummins rods are holding in a 1000 hp truck local to me, we own a high output 6.7 runs great no issues at 17k miled with all the deletes done needs a fass pump to keep up with a big tune. I tune and drive all three and id own a dodge first then chevy then ford (if i were buying a 2012 anyway) not havin the def to deal with is a nice feature and dodges interior has come miles ahead from what it was

Chevys are the fastest (unless your in the wrong rpm for the dead pedal) the ford and cummins are very colse imo but ford seems a tid better you cant go wrong with any of the three.

6.7 fords are crapping rods out around 550+ similar to lb7

duratothemax

<--- slippery roads
Aug 28, 2006
Wyoming
the issue with the 6.7 cummins in super high hp is because the stroke is so massively big that the huge torque way down low in the RPM range bends the rods much more easily than a 5.9 cummins would bend rods.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
Don't know how crazy you plan to build either but the LML trannys seem to be pretty strong so far... lot of guys running the big H&S tune with no problems, and if Mike L comes out with a box with the ability to raise line pressure on the go like he has talked about they should be even stronger.
The Dodge tranny on the other hand will prolly sh!t the bed sooner or later with an extra 50hp.

Iceman56

Jan 19, 2009
Madison, SD
As far as stock to stock the Dodges are turds IMO. My LML will kill my cousins 6.7 cummins when he is running the a 50hp H&S tune. The tranny and motor don't work together at all when towing, always shifting up and down at the wrong time or when it doesn't need to be.

JoshH

Daggum farm truck
Staff member
Vendor/Sponsor
Feb 14, 2007
Texas!!!
One thing I like about the Ford that I wish GM would do is the tap shift feature. If you leave the shifter in D, you can tap the +/- button on the shifter, and it functions like the 6 speed Allison shifter in M where it will downshift and upshift automatically but won't go past your selected gear. However, if you move the shifter down to M, you can select what gear you want, and that is the gear you are in, no downshift or upshift. It won't let you do something stupid like start in 6th, but you can start in 3rd I think. If you get too slow, it will force a downshift, but you have to be going pretty slow in a high gear.