LML mods and dyno testing begins

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
You just said that slow down :hug: don't let these tables get to you :) you guy will figure it out :thumb:

With the good Beta team help like Tony, Kory and others, as well as Mark being a big help, I'm sure there will be an acceptable solution in the future.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
With the good Beta team help like Tony, Kory and others, as well as Mark being a big help, I'm sure there will be an acceptable solution in the future.

Not to get off track here but I would like to note that this part of this thread and this post in particular should be used as reference anytime one of those who should I use as a tuner threads is started.
Here we have some of the very best working together for a common goal.
Brovo Guys :thumb:

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Not to get off track here but I would like to note that this part of this thread and this post in particular should be used as reference anytime one of those who should I use as a tuner threads is started.
Here we have some of the very best working together for a common goal.
Brovo Guys :thumb:

Thank you, people would be amazed how we work together if they really only knew. I'm sure most everyone is aware of the rare person that constantly bashes a tuner because they feel they were wronged, the tuners know the truth and share the facts with each other. We are competitors in business that deal with a lot of the same struggles so we help each other out and watch out for one another in the back ground.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Rob, how much tune do you think you can throw at a stock tranny truck before it has issues?

I'm not sure Rick, Mike would be the one to answer that. My tranny with 4000miles on it had signs of excessive wear and I was only putting down 450hp or so but did change and testing tunes many times a day which couldn't of been easy on the trans.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I found that a certain "switch" left enabled made a big difference in vane position and getting to do some what more what I was asking at idle and throught the range. it stopped going to 0% at lean cruise as well as wot throttle runs, the lowest i see mine go now is 6% and before it dropped right down to 0% in a hurry.

GSXRTURBO1

Feb 10, 2015
Detroit MI
Thank you, people would be amazed how we work together if they really only knew. I'm sure most everyone is aware of the rare person that constantly bashes a tuner because they feel they were wronged, the tuners know the truth and share the facts with each other. We are competitors in business that deal with a lot of the same struggles so we help each other out and watch out for one another in the back ground.

Awesome. This is exactly what I (and I'm sure others) want to see. That's the kind of advertising that can't be beat, seeing competitors working together for the good of their customers. Well done.

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
I found that a certain "switch" left enabled made a big difference in vane position and getting to do some what more what I was asking at idle and throught the range. it stopped going to 0% at lean cruise as well as wot throttle runs, the lowest i see mine go now is 6% and before it dropped right down to 0% in a hurry.

So your vains are still opening up then? I was hoping this was handled and the turbo was doing exactly what was asked of it but I was still looking for the correct combo? Mine goes to around 17% wot and is 1-2 psi of what I ask but I'm still not getting what is ask of it. My tune is fairly small due to fuel delivery issue's (no lift pump) so I was only shooting for 28 psi in the higher ranges. I messed around with turning the VVT control off and did notice that it still commands vain position probably from one of the open loop tables and does what it's told based on a vain table regardless of boost. Needless to say I think a guy could hurt a turbo in a hurry that way, I saw around 60+% under WOT and heard what I thought was the dreaded overspeed death howl I figured that was probably a bad test :angel:. The open loop thing probably could work with a lot of logging but the open loop tables looked pretty limited for upper fuel/vain% range control pretty making it a fixed turbo :dunce:

NC-smokinlmm

<<<Future tuna killer
May 29, 2011
At Da Beach
Are guys having trouble making boost with lml's? Mine hits 42 no problem and rail holds at 29,000 with the airdog on. Every once in a while it gets laggy if im running over 50 but otherwise the turbo lights instantly...

rcr1978

Apr 1, 2007
Spring Creek, NV
Are guys having trouble making boost with lml's? Mine hits 42 no problem and rail holds at 29,000 with the airdog on. Every once in a while it gets laggy if im running over 50 but otherwise the turbo lights instantly...

At least I am, looks like your at sea level and the boost tables go to around 42 stock so I don't see why yours wouldn't, ask a little more of it and see what happens, I'm at 5500ft and they are set to around 36-38 stock and I'm definitely not getting the 40-41 I've been asking for.

TxLML

Feb 26, 2015
How are you able to do a Cp3 conversion without doing an egr delete on a stock emissions truck?

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
I'm installing a MBRP turbo down pipe on the LML this week. The HP claim is 21hp and 24ft lbs. We will see how this piggy backs on the current mods with stock tune and modded tune.

I can tell you the install is not for the faint of heart. The install is much easier if done in conjunction with a transmission/converter install. Having the transmission out of the way really speeds things up and is much easier on the knuckles and the frustration level.

I should have the numbers for you later this week.

Any other mods people would like to see tested that will work with factory emissions, please let us know and we'll do our best to add to the list.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
So your vains are still opening up then? I was hoping this was handled and the turbo was doing exactly what was asked of it but I was still looking for the correct combo? Mine goes to around 17% wot and is 1-2 psi of what I ask but I'm still not getting what is ask of it. My tune is fairly small due to fuel delivery issue's (no lift pump) so I was only shooting for 28 psi in the higher ranges. I messed around with turning the VVT control off and did notice that it still commands vain position probably from one of the open loop tables and does what it's told based on a vain table regardless of boost. Needless to say I think a guy could hurt a turbo in a hurry that way, I saw around 60+% under WOT and heard what I thought was the dreaded overspeed death howl I figured that was probably a bad test :angel:. The open loop thing probably could work with a lot of logging but the open loop tables looked pretty limited for upper fuel/vain% range control pretty making it a fixed turbo :dunce:

Mine never does that I towed 10.5K up some pretty good grades and it only went to zero a couple times on a hard pull on a 1600US tune and yes 1600Us, and yes it is hitting that and mantaining around 27,500 rail pressure calling for 29500 or so. I defnitly do not see 60% under hard accel. mine will run around 40-60% during normal cruising and opening up to 6-12% under hard accel, the hottest I saw after turbo with the factory egt sensor using Palmer perfromance Dash logic which makes about anything you want to watch come up in the DIC was 875deg. so if you figure 300-350 different between the turbo outlet and the manifold pyro reading I'd say thats not to bad for a stock intake, stock downpipe setup running 67 mph up a 6% grade on a 1600Us tune in 5th gear. if I dropped to 4th the egt's dropped fast down tot he low 700 range. even on that hill att hat speed it would shift right back to 5th if I tapped it up from fouth too fifth with the cruise set. Vane position stayed at 12-15% unless I started accelerating up past my set cruise speed.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
I'm installing a MBRP turbo down pipe on the LML this week. The HP claim is 21hp and 24ft lbs. We will see how this piggy backs on the current mods with stock tune and modded tune.

I can tell you the install is not for the faint of heart. The install is much easier if done in conjunction with a transmission/converter install. Having the transmission out of the way really speeds things up and is much easier on the knuckles and the frustration level.

I should have the numbers for you later this week.

Any other mods people would like to see tested that will work with factory emissions, please let us know and we'll do our best to add to the list.

Are you comparing the Downpipe install to an LMM? it looks likes there is alot more room on the LML. and no shit on a LMM that thing is a bitch. I think the next one I do I will unbolt the cab and see if I can gain and inch or so raising it with the two post. anything would help.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Are you comparing the Downpipe install to an LMM? it looks likes there is alot more room on the LML. and no shit on a LMM that thing is a bitch. I think the next one I do I will unbolt the cab and see if I can gain and inch or so raising it with the two post. anything would help.

No I'm not. This isn't my first rodeo:hug: There are the sensors and injector to contend with as well as the different body/front diff/support mounts.

catman3126

Ehhh?.... You don't say?
Jul 24, 2012
NE Oregon
No I'm not. This isn't my first rodeo:hug: There are the sensors and injector to contend with as well as the different body/front diff/support mounts.

Ok I'll be doing one soon too. but waiting to decide decide if I want to twin mine. I have a good turbo to twin it so that would change that whole setup.

56taskforce

Mar 30, 2014
It will be interesting to see if the power gains are anywhere close to the claims. If anything your test should give it a better shot at claimed HP gains as with the other mods you have done should be creating a bottle neck at the stock pipe.

IdahoRob

Jun 5, 2007
Got the downpipe installed and put it on the dyno. I don't have back to back, same day numbers but I used same load, same tank of fuel, and same SAE correction factor. The truck is dropping rail psi bad still, lift pump is next test.

Dyno'd 500.xx RWHP right on the money with 40 soot grams (basically ready for a regen ).

So truck mods to date to hit this number; MikeL trans, ATP tuning, S & B dry intake, MBRP downpipe. I'm taking it to the track this weekend to compete in a NHRA event. It is a heavy pig now with the heavy bumpers and winch added to the aftermarket tires. Should be a decent test on real world HP.