LLY to LB7

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
What all is needed, besides heads, inj, lines and ficm/ecm. 2004 LLY to 2004 lb7.

Thoughts? Can't be that hard can it?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
So you have an LLY truck, and you want to put an LB7 engine in it?

Heads, fuel lines, injectors, engine harness, glow plugs, glow plug controller, body harness (modify), ECM.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
LB7 seems to be easier to tune for high power applications. LB7 doesn't defuel as much as LLY does, ecm doesnt have lots of back doors and tables we dont know about.

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
The LBZ system gives you the six speed option, and everything is stronger. No FICM either. This spring, I'm going to convert Casper over to LBZ and report on the changeover.

WolfLMM

Making Chips
Nov 21, 2006
AL
What is everything? The trans is better, no? I assume you will need to find a LBZ long block, main harness, ecm, tcm, and what else?

McRat

Diesel Hotrodder
Aug 2, 2006
Norco CA
www.mcratracing.com
Dunno all that is involved yet, but I assume I need the same parts list I posted except the glowplug controller, but add the TCM. You can use an LLY lower end with an LBZ top. But the LBZ block, crank, and rods are stronger.

Cougar281

Sep 11, 2006
St Louis, MO
To convert over to LBZ, You'd need the body side harness (complete with all connectors: ECM, TCM, TC, EBCM, Transmission, etc). In theory, if GM did it right, that harness should plug right in place of the LLY one since with the exception of about three wires (CAN and Driver request) and a few connectors, the majority of the trucks main harness should be identical. For the transmission, you'd either need to swap out the entire transmission or the Valvebody (including the IMS and internal harness, which is part of why you'd need the entire body side harness; the Transmision main connector is wired different, and the internal harness is also wired different and has several different connectors for the solenoids).

Pat, why do you say you wouldn't need the GPCM? The LBZ GPCM is different from previous years.