Question: LLY Motor Build

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Good to know...just wondering if the race cover is worth it now...

yes it is hands down, the flow is greatly improved. The only problem is it is a 5.5" inlet so it creates a funky issue. I fixed my issue by buying this piece, it is a 5.5inch to 5inch reducer. IIRC it was like 45$ from intakehoses.com

IMG_0011.jpg

02bigstrokin

Sep 9, 2008
your not going to see high enough boost with a s475 to float a valve. probably wont see more then 60lbs. but i would do valve springs way before i did heads or cam. look at trents truck, stock heads and cam. and i dont really think you'll benefit from .20 over pistons either. i mean it seems like your trying to find ways to spend money, i say if you have the coin get all of it, if not, you dont need heads or cam to make 800-900

Last edited:

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
That's a good point. I mean I don't want to go overboard since it's a DD and not an all out racer or puller but at the same time am torn because I don't want to have to do it twice.

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
your not going to see high enough boost with a s475 to float a valve. probably wont see more then 60lbs. but i would do valve springs way before i did heads or cam. look at trents truck, stock heads and cam. and i dont really think you'll benefit from .20 over pistons either. i mean it seems like your trying to find ways to spend money, i say if you have the coin get all of it, if not, you dont need heads or cam to make 800-900

60lbs is exactly what you will see with this turbo, i plan on doing this for now with stock head bolts. Travis (bullfrogjohnson) has been running his S475 with big injectors and dual cp3's... all while on a stock bottom end and stock head bolts. He is a puller though so a little different. I have asked myself hundreds of times, at what point is enough? it seems 11's are good enough for me as i don't really want to commit my entire years salary to this truck. My truck has been down so much lately i just want to drive it around LOL. If you have the time and money blow you load:rofl: BUT! remember if you have a $12,000 maximum budget be prepared to spend a few more thousand because that seems to be the way it goes LOL.

TrentNell

Finally underway !!!!!
Jul 7, 2008
slc tuah
still really up in the air about the heads/cam thing...man it makes the price a lot more attractive without them haha just torn on what to do

Your better off spending the extra 3-4k in turbo's or NOS and using stock heads with upgraded springs and stock cam , thats what i did , a guy can do the springs himself with a 30 dollar valve spring tool from Sears , the cam may be good for an extra 40 hp , maybe a touch better spooling ............................................................... 3-4 k in NOS or Turbo's is going to be good for an extra 300-400 hp , and spooling is taken care of far better than a cam by using compounds. If it was my $$ that's what i would do , take it for what its worth . Now if your building an all out comp truck then i would do both of the suggestions :D

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Your better off spending the extra 3-4k in turbo's or NOS and using stock heads with upgraded springs , which a guy can do himself with a 30 dollarvalve spring tool from Sears , the cam may be good for an extra 40 hp , maybe a touch better spooling ............................................................... 3-4 k in NOS or Turbo's is going to be good for an extra 300-400 hp , and spooling is taken care of far better than a cam by using compounds. If it was my $$ that's what i would do , take it for what its worth . Now if your building an all out comp truck then i would do both of the suggestions :D

don't corrupt the guy LOL:D The cam in Anthony's truck didn't give him anymore ET or MPH at the truck so im not sure about the cam anymore

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
Hey Semper, good luck with the build!!

S476 with cover is cool, may i suggest you have somebody build it for you? IMO - stock chargers kinda suck. 8-900 on the street, respectfully, is kinda silly :). I know we all want more more more... but we can't hook it up unless over 80 mph or in 4 hi. The 474-476 with a rough tune will beat most cars driving on the edge of the charger, after that you have to avoid curbs.... the truck becomes a "point and shoot".

Talk to Guy about the cam, i would do it again. Charger comes on much harder and earlier with it, don't need to tickle it with N2O using a 1057 converter.

I would not do heads and spend money on headers/uppipes and a good ped, i see better results from a stronger exhaust pulse/less drive pressure. As for the Cali smog - I live in San Marcos, CA no issue here.

Akdiesel

IFS Hater
Aug 23, 2009
Fairbanks
Thanks Trent...just talked to Guy and got his input so I will be going with that. Just gotta figure out injector size. Guys advice was go with a new set of pistons and do heads/cam later.

MAXLLY

No Lemming Here
Aug 15, 2007
San Diego
cool, thought you said it was the "DD", my bad.

Good luck Man, it's fun.

BTW - mine seems to like the same tune all the time - otherwise the trans gets stupid... again.

Last edited:

paint94979

Beer Nazi
Sep 18, 2006
Thanks Trent...just talked to Guy and got his input so I will be going with that. Just gotta figure out injector size. Guys advice was go with a new set of pistons and do heads/cam later.

If you have the money by all means use new pistons, but after seeing what Dmitri has done with 200,000+ mile pistons I will be going with my 50,000 mile pistons:thumb: For me i can have mine cut and coated for 800$ vs. 2700$ new cut and coated. Not worth it too me.

ChevyDieselLLY

Whats A Budget???
Apr 1, 2008
MI, NC, now Hawaii
If you have the money by all means use new pistons, but after seeing what Dmitri has done with 200,000+ mile pistons I will be going with my 50,000 mile pistons:thumb: For me i can have mine cut and coated for 800$ vs. 2700$ new cut and coated. Not worth it too me.

yea i will be reuseing mine as well. and for me i will be looking at around $350 cut and coated vs new.

not 100% on the rings but i will be getting new ones...

DIESELMAFIAPER.LB7

<----new hotness
Jan 17, 2010
idaho
shop.dieselmafiaperformance.com
Ya new rings fore sure an I have 200k on my pistons no problems an you don't need big nozzles to make power if its a DD I would 60% overs would be good just my 2cents though :hello: I ported the heads cause it was free but just refresh the heads like paint said buy your list looks good though wish I would have had the cash for carrilos :mad: